1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Good game to start PC gaming on?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by I Greenman v2 I, 12 May 2012.

1. I Greenman v2 I

I Greenman v2 I Minimodder

Evening all,

I am starting PC gaming soon and wondered what FPS game is good to start with? I have always been a console gamer so using a mouse and keyboard is somewhat daunting. I have been told to try Battlefield 3 but I worry about getting smashed on it thus losing the motivation to carry on.

I have played Killing Floor just to get used to the controls.

Recommendations? :thumb:

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You will get smashed with any FPS online, it takes about 8 to understand what is going on and to get to grips with the mechanics. Try BF3, find some lowly populated servers and practice :D

3. I Greenman v2 I

Brilliant! Can't wait to get smashed on it! :)

Would you say get Battlefield 3 over CoD? CoD just seems that more arcadey if you will.

4. longweight

It is, I enjoyed the older ones but MW3 was a definite step back, BF3 just makes it look silly now! It takes along time to get good with anything in BF3, it took me about 10 hours to start getting decent sniper kills and about 15 with the jet!

So worth it though.

Also this is the only way to play, watch all of his videos!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

dont dive into BF3 first as you'll get ****ing slaughtered.

start with single player games to become accustomed to using keyboard/mouse, start light with something simple like portal, once comfortable with that move onto slightly more advanced titles like to get used to actually shooting people in the face and polish off with Crysis where you'll have to think fast on your feet and get accustomed to more advanced FPS gaming and control inputs.

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Might I suggest the Half Life Series :)

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

good idea but they can be tricky for people who are unaccustomed to pc gaming.

8. longweight

And they are so old now that if you are new to them it just doesn't seem as good as everyone says!

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Get battlefied or Cod and play the singleplayer campaigns to break yourself into the controls, then jump on the multiplayer once comfortable with the controls, you might still get slaughtered but some has too loose and newbies are often the first to fall.

Played BF3 for first time MP myself today, didn't fare too badly.

10. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Those were my first FPS game on PC :). Totally worth diving back in them now...

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Raised on console games? Scary thought.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I would suggest Borderlands... it's my all-time favourite PC game by now; nothing touches it. IMO it would be a great introduction to FPS gaming on the PC as it starts very easy and gets progressively more difficult.

13. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

Thought about Team Fortress 2? Its free to play, lots of player with varying skill levels too. I've got back into it, had a few laughs.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

The Half Life series should not be played simply on the basis of its technological aspects though. HL2 (and its accompanying episodes) especially, it's more about the story.

But even if it is an old series, I still maintain that it is a great looking game and can still compete with the best recent releases. And if you do want to make it a bit more shiny, there's the fake factory mod.

IMO, you can't be a PC gamer until you've played Half Life.

Any multiplayer game, you are likely to get wooped to start with, but once you get into it, and learn the game, and the maps, and how others play, you'll start to enjoy it more and more.

15. I Greenman v2 I

Yes! Team Fortress 2 is something I will deffo start playing.

I think I will go though the Single Player on Battlefield 3 as I have not even played it on console. Would you lot also recommend getting a 'gaming' keyboard and mice? I don't really wanna look at getting a new keyboard as I am happy with the one I got (Logitech K750) but probably can do with a new mice (I've got some Some shocking Microsoft one)

I was looking at the Logitech G300 Mice, any other cheap-ish ones though?

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

CoD4? A good story, simple play and great fun.. Plus it goes nice and cheap

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Anything with "gaming" in the title or description is usually an indicator of a cheap product they want to hype up to sell

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'm struggling to think of a 'basic' FPS that I personally would recommend that isn't made by Valve.

I can't, so buy Counter Strike: Source, a bit harder than what you're probably after but the maps are small and easy to learn and if you find a good server (fragmasters' are pretty good) it's often a great laugh win or lose. Plus there's no point being a PC gamer if your not prepared to suffer a good online hiding now and then.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd have said CS games are probably a bad place to start as those that still play are incredibly loyal and hardcore.

20. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I would say COD 4, crysis, portal and wolfinstien 3d just went free. Half life 2 is also good.