1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Cheap SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okenobi, 23 May 2012.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I'm not up on this at all. Currently considering building something super cheap to replace my S939 setup housed in a Fractal R3 for large amounts of storage. The machine that currently houses 3 x 1TB F3s is running an E-IDE 160gig WD Caviar as a boot drive!! It hasn't missed a beat in at least 5 years and will continue to serve as boot drive in that machine to whoever has the 939 board, cpu, ram and chassis off me.

So given I've been happily running Win 7 x64 pro on that setup, just about anything I buy is gonna seem lightening quick. With that in mind, can people please recommend something to put with a G620 and a cheap Z77 board as I'm assuming they don't have IDE ports anymore?! (Otherwise I would carry the WD over to save money).

Priorities are:
    1) Price
    2) Reliability
    3) Capacity
    4) Speed

Also, in this day and age with an 1155 setup can I just plug an SSD in and boot from it with Windows setup? Or do I still need to be faffing around with ghosting etc? And does it require any maintenance once it's installed and has Windows on it?

Thanks guys.

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Chronos is alright, but should look at the MX it's a far better drive. Also, the sandisk extreme which is 100% the same as the Chronos DX at a usually lower price point. Of course there is the favorite around here, the Crucial M4 which price has been falling on cost lately and a good buy. No matter what, i wouldn't even consider anything under a 120GB. The GB to $ ratio is best there and up. When you can double from a 60GB to a 120GB for only $30 more it is not really smart to get a small drive that preforms worse.

A modern ssd witch has reliable garbage collection connected to a good controller that supports trim is essentially maintenance free these days with win7.

Last edited: 23 May 2012
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

m4 128GB, £89 from Scan while the 256GB is £178 (last time I checked), so don't think, just buy one of these now!

5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

ok, so M4 128Gig at £90, or save a tenner and get OCZ Agility 3 120gig for £80?

6. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Save the tenner :)

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Go for the M4 mate, only £85 from ebuyer clicky. Exactly the same price £/Gb (actually the M4 is marginally cheaper 0.664 vs 0.666 /gb :)).

8. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

M4 all the way. Bargain at that price. OCZ = unreliable (without wanting to start a flamewar)

9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Ok, nearly pushed the button on the M4. But curveball - Corsair Force 3?

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Its weird, almost every review/group test I've seen has said corsair drives but pretty much everyone here recommends the m4.

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Yeah, done some more reading, looks like the Corsair is similar to the OCZ drives in everyday performance.

M4 for me I guess...