1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Please just cast your eye on my list...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okenobi, 24 May 2012.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

This is not so much a build advice thread as a confirmation that what I'm buying looks good.

From my existing machine, I have 3 x 1TB F3s, 1 x Plextor SATA burner and a Seasonic X650 (plus Win 7 Pro retail box).

I'm proposing adding the following (from Scan):
    Fractal R3 @ £70
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H @ £80
    Pentium G620 @ £46
    8gig Corsair Vengeance @ £40
    Crucial M4 128gig @ £92

I figure this gives me room for my current HDDs and plenty more, USB 3 and access to Ivy Bridge as and when I can afford it. I imagine it will be blindingly fast compared to X2 3800+ system. Anyone foresee any problems? Only question left is which monitor which is in a seperate thread....

Thanks for looking.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You can get the 128GB M4 for £80 delivered from Amazon or Ebuyer at the moment, mate.

3. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Thanks Spreadie. I hate Amazon, but I do have an eBuyer account. What about the rest of it?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Looks good, but that Crucial M4 is only £80 delivered on Ebuyer and Amazon today!

No discrete graphics card yet? I assume you aren't gaming?

EDIT: Also you could get a G530 and save a tenner, similar performance. Only £32 from ebuyer.

5. David

As Tom says, the rest of it looks fine, mate. :thumb:

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I'd love to game, but it's been so long that I figure I can go without for a little longer and add later. Really don't have the money right now.

As for the G530, sounds stupid but I just can't stomach a Celeron! My last Intel machine had a Pentium III and a Pentium is the lowest I'll go. Really would prefer an i3-2100, but there you go!

7. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Also, is the 7mm slim version of the M4 any better? Will it have new firmware or anything and be otherwise better? What is a "transfer kit" and do I need one? Finally, could I save some money by going to 64gig, or do I really need 128gig for an OS drive?

Sorry to be a noob. Thanks guys.

8. David

I can't say for certain about the 7mm drive, but I wouldn't think there'll be a performance difference. A transfer kit is for moving an image from your existing setup to the SSD - but you can do that with a trial copy of True Image or something similar.

I wouldn't go smaller than 128 for an OS drive, especially considering how cheap the 128s are right now.