1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News E3: IO Interactive apologise for Hitman trailer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jun 2012.

1. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

"I am offended by the existence of this trope, and I feel the best response is to lodge a complaint with a single company that has used it in a 3 minute animation half a century (or more) after its establisment"

2. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i feel sorry for those of you who can't see why that trailer would upset some people.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2012
  3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's what I was wondering watching it. They seem to be the ones with the most reason to be upset.

I loved the trailer. No, it didn't fit Hitman well but on its own it was awesome. Hot nuns in tight leather with guns? Sign me up! Sexy and violent over the top shock effect Cheesecake! They wanted '60s exploitation film quality and they got it, I was half expecting the black nun to take off her hat to reveal an afro.

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Well if anyone's offended by that, they probably shouldn't watch "Nude Nuns with Big Guns" ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1352388/

... about nuns who are sometimes nude and have, um, big guns.

Some people seem to go out of their way to be offended by things. Even the trailer says it's for an 18 rated game. (yes, i know, but i had to watch the trailer, the voices told me to ...)

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Looks awesome, so need to preorder this

6. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

hahahaha... and obama is muslem

7. Jhodas

Jhodas Theorist

There is no such thing as bad publicity, especially for a game like this.
    Benetton used more controversial images years ago. I find it amusing that the very people that are offended by this are giving it free publicity. You can't buy that kind of marketing.

As Deadpunkdave said, when it stops being ok to do something creative "because it's cool" in case you offend someone, the creative spirit of humanity dies.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's not that we can't see it; it's just that we do not share the same strength of feeling about it. If that makes us pitiable in your eyes, well, that's your feelings about it.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

whilst i am against sexism, i am not offended by the trailer, i showed my wife the trailer as well, and mentioned the sexism critism, and she said so what, it's just a game, and loads of films do exactly the same thing. she was not offended.

10. walle

walle Minimodder

This clip demonstrates the rot in the video game industry today. Just repetitiveness of more violence and more sex presented with enhanced graphics. I don't know what else to say really.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Totally what I was thinking, this is me while watching the new trailer.
    Really??? lolz lolz, REALLY??? lolz aplenty & so on all the way through. :hehe: Funniest trailer I've seen in maybe forever for a game because for hitman games it has a kinda serious tone & this trailer was completely unexpected madness. :D Epic joke Eidos now wheres the real trailer. :hehe:

I know what this is, first they do the hitman thing of pretending to be nuns & pretending badly not even trying, 47 catches onto them being dodgy with the tattoos, makeup & heals with his sharp eyes, the hitladys notice he noticed so plan b kicks in & they get in group formation & flash in fruity clothes to try to make him fall into a state of drooling shock but that didn't work on 47 as he's dead downstairs, or something, so plan c goes ahead & it just kicked off & he whooped ass. :eeek::lol::duh: What???? :lol:

That's the script for the trailer.... right???. :eeek::D

Really, I really liked the look of a new hitman & it's been waaaaay overdue, you could rise out of the coffin in the last one at the end credits to escape so they left the series open for at least another game in the series so I'm sure it has a fairly solid fanbase from back then but this is purely to raise controversy & lolz absolutely on purpose to get a load of extra word out there about the game which will make people who had no interest in the game take big interest to play the controversial game that people say not to play, the things I've heard some say about GTA are utterly bizarre & totally untrue but stories get mangled from 1 person to the next & this explains bizarre stories that give things a very bad name, more bad, more some might want to play. :D

The only thing I was shocked about is it did not look a bit like a hitman game, looked more like some kind of a crazy spoof compared to earlier gameplay footage where you can still sneak around or be a gun toting crazy git or silently take guards out that I've seen of the game set in the abandoned library which looks awesome & really looking forward to it still, that supernatural skill to see where guards are going to go I won't use in the game though, that's not 47. :)

Did Eidos really need to do that to increase interest in the series though?. Quite possibly I think if I'm honest, risky = definitely, it will likely piss off religious people & feminists, they can get extremely pissed off about things like this. Do I care as long as this awesome game releases & that was just a cheap publicity stunt, no. :D

Do I like bad things in reality = no, do I like craziness in games = yes, do I like straight up 47 = yes, will I like the new hitman = hopefully.

Before seeing this new trailer which is totally obvious to spark interest in people unfamiliar with 47.

Do I like bad things in reality = no, do I like craziness in games = yes do I like straight up 47 = yes, will I like the new hitman = definitely.

So the only shock to me is them doing a cheesy trailer for a badass game that loks like a crazy spoof to try & get more interest in the game, no biggie though I want a new hitman game but one like the one I seen on earlier footage I've seen, but funny spoof type levels as DLC could be a good funny idea, I guess. :D

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Pissing off religious people? Hardly, that last scene in the last hitman was more ridiculous.

Pissing off women? I dunno, because they empowered women, being able to fight in 3-inch heels is impressive. Even if they lost, it's 47. Who's a professional assassin.

It's just a publicity stunt. Let's hope the game delivers.

13. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I presume offensive may have been what they were going for here. Past few hitman games have all had a "controversial" advert for them.

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

To be honest, minorities aren't very well represented in gaming. Especially women. There are almost no female leads in mainstream gaming who have breasts or rear ends that aren't exaggerated. It's just as bad for the supporting cast of women. All overdone stereotypes who are overly sexualised. Perhaps the only lead I can think of who is unique and does women justice is the lead in Beyond Good and Evil.

If 47 was killing a bunch of dudes then nobody would care because men have been done justice in gaming. You get loads of powerful, witty and competent male leads and supporting characters in games. There is nothing for men to prove, really since it's all good already. That is why i can understand why some women would feel offended by the trailer. Not only are the "nuns" sexualised but they are also completely incompetent.

Edit: On a side note, i personally liked the trailer and can appreciate it within the context of the hitman universe. Men and women are both sexualised quite a bit in those games. what I don't find amusing is how 47 so easily dispatched of them (no one covers blind spots?).

Last edited: 9 Jun 2012
  15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd like to point out Alyx is pretty awesome.

In the context of the real world i'd say those nuns are still competent. just not against 47. We see what we want.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Agreed :) I meant some, not all though, otherwise Eidos wouldn't have felt the need to apologise, some must have been kicking up a fuss over it, personally it made me laugh all the way through the trailer in disbelief. :D
    I should have been clearer :)

I'm just trying to work out why some might have been shocked, like some others said the main people who should be shocked is the hitman fans for such an OTT spoof like trailer, I still say wheres the real trailer? was more on the lines of no one lives forever I thought. :D

17. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I just thought it was nonsensical at best and juvenile at worst.
    It's silly to get upset about. I would never put such a thing in a game, and would not recommend than anyone else do it, but if thats what they want I can't stop them (and it would be a waste of my time to even try).
    Don't like it, don't buy it.

If we tell them not to put nuns in latex, how is that any different than the Muslims telling everyone they can't draw pictures of Mohamed?

18. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Okay she's not been out much lately (Probably in doing her ironing) but what about Lara Croft? They made her curvaceous in the same way they give male leads chiselled jawlines and a ribbed six-pack.

They could have gone OTT on sexing her up, but they didn't need to. That camera view from behind... and that wiggle of hers were enough. She wasn't frumpy that's for certain but then it's just a game so who cares!

She was a strong female lead - end of. The new game appears to be even better in this respect (fingers crossed)

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Snipping this bit out, it's just as rare to find a plain and non-attractive male main character. Mass Effect (assuming male Shep), Gears of War, all CoD, BF:BC2 and BF3, Assassin's Creed, all of those games spring to mind with well built, attractive male main characters and you can be sure there's more out there. Most main characters, and really most charaters in general, are overdone. Women aren't as common as men in most games so it's quite noticable with them but it really effects everyone.

Much of it stems from the idea that people are not playing games for reality. If you can make your character look like anything your artists can create then why not give her double D's and a latex bodysuit? And in the case of the male lead: what gamer sitting at home wants to look anything like themselves? They want to play as a well built and tanned man of action. Many "offensive" characters are created to be exactly what their real life counter parts aren't.

20. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

meh so how did sants row get away with stuff like this?

Tags: Add Tags