1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Have you fallen prey to Bit-tech's mech keyboard obsession?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 9 Jun 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Second only to my monitor at the moment. If the tower is sufficient for me to play BF3 and run the programs that I have at a good speed then I am happy with it, I have no desire to upgrade its aesthetics or performance just for the sake of it but I have done with both my monitor and keyboards.

2. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

I just don't see how spending more money on a keyboard would provide as much of an improvement as it would, say on a monitor or speakers for example

3. longweight

No one is saying that it is, but you can't say that it is any less of an improvement than upgrading anything else.

4. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

So what you're saying is that you are completely content with your build, besides the keyboard and monitor (may I ask what CPU & graphics card you're running?). If that's the case, then I have no objections to upgrading it. Imo it's just a novelty item and therefore should only have more money spent on it once the rest of the build is complete.

5. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

:sigh:
    But that's exactly what I'm saying. :sigh:

6. longweight

You have said that it is only a keyboard and implied that it is a lesser upgrade than a CPU or GPU so no, that isn't what you have been saying.

I run a U2711, i5 2500K at stock, EVGA GTX 570 at stock and I have no idea what my motherboard is, I think it is a Gigabyte UD4.

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

If you're typing a lot, surely a keyboard that's nice to type on and feels good under your fingers is worth the investment? Just like a decent monitor, if you're doing a lot of PS work, then you want to see exactly how the colours work etc, if you're a writer, a student with a **** tonne of essays or you just do a lot of typing for work/in general then something nice to type great!

8. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

When I was quoting you, I was refferring to "you can't say that the keyboard is a lesser upgrade..." (or words to that effect), and my comment was to say that I was saying just that - that the keyboard is a lesser upgrade than other components.

9. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

Perhaps then it's just me, but my keyboard (which came with my 8 yr old dell) causes me no problems or discomfort. Plus I can safely say it is used a lot, what with all the essays I get from school

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I had my original Logitech board start playing up on me, so after some real thinking I went with the mech board.

Tbh, until you've tried both you can't comment on it (that came out much ruder than I wanted, I do apologise). It may not give you discomfort but just the pleasure of typing on one of these boards is beyond belief. I strongly suggest you find someone with one you can use for a few hours.

11. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

Well as I said earlier, I have used both, a variety of both tbh, and yet it makes no difference.

It seems I am just the odd one out :(

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Really? Hmmm, guess it's down to personal preference..

Although there's one thing a mech board can do VERY well... CUSTOM KEYCAPS!!!

13. longweight

You cannot justify or support that statement.

14. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

But it's just my opinion :wallbash:

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Now now, everyone has their own opinion, no point getting agitated over it :)

16. longweight

You are right, keyboards make people happy!

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Put it this way, if you offered me £70 towards an SSD or £70 towards a keyboard, I'd be plugging in SATA cables...

18. longweight

Heh each to his own :)

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Tbh, so would I.

20. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Most of the time people that have tried and don't like mechanicals is because they tried the old loud ones (or some rare Alps stuff) at least that's the reason many people in this thread have been using to justify why they don't want to try one.

Have you tried a quality cherry MX Brown or blue or one of the popular boards? It's a significant improvement over using a standard board. You can say customizing caps is a novelty to a point, I'll give you that one. But the advantage of using a cherry MX Brown or Blue keyboard over the standard ones I've used is massive.

Yes, massive. It isn't just something for fun or just because we have money to burn, there is a real and significant difference in use and general enjoyment of using your computer. Most people are missing out on it.

And please don't ask how I can say there is a massive differences if you haven't tried the boards I'm talking about. No amount of descriptive language will tell you what you want to know.

But dont worry, we've been there. At one time I knew nothing of mechanicals and would definitely be hating on those "mech money burning fanatics" had this thread come up then.