1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are full screen adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 4 Jun 2012.

1. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

bit tech forced me to install adblocker. congratulations.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Surely everyone has Adblock installed now?

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ADBLOCK PLUS installed

thanks bit-tech

4. longweight

Have you found that your browser is now quite a bit faster?

5. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Since I installed my shiny new ad-blocker I am no longer molested by the silly adverts. If I want to click on a correctly designed advert I can, but my user experience of Bit-Tech is no longer raped by silly adverts. I'm sure that if I recommended everyone do the same it would only get moderated (and I fully understand why, so I'm not disagreeing with the mods for having to do it), but I would encourage everybody to voice their opinions in whatever way you deem necessary - we are happy to receive reasoned and thoughtful adverts, but reject unreasonable and thoughtless adverts, even if this means the eventual death of Bit-Tech.

:D

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

bit-tech does load faster now, shaved maybe 5-10 seconds off.

7. greypilgers

Since I installed my shiny new ad-blocker I am no longer molested by the silly adverts. If I want to click on a correctly designed advert I can, but my user experience of Bit-Tech is no longer raped by silly adverts. I'm sure that if I recommended everyone do the same it would only get moderated (and I fully understand why, so I'm not disagreeing with the mods for having to do it), but I would encourage everybody to voice their opinions in whatever way you deem necessary - we are happy to receive reasoned and thoughtful adverts, but reject unreasonable and thoughtless adverts, even if this means the eventual death of Bit-Tech.

:D

- Copied from my other post elsewhere in this forum. We need to get some action done on this subject and actually get Dennis listening to us for once - We pay their bloody wages (either by buying the mag, or supposedly clicking on these 'adverts')!!!

8. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Adblock Plus installed. Got too much in my opinion.
    The crazy IE ad was the last straw.

9. greypilgers

What are YOU (the user) doing about these adverts?

The below is copied from one of the other threads:

We need to get some action done on this subject and actually get Dennis listening to us for once - We pay their bloody wages (either by buying the mag, or supposedly clicking on these 'adverts')!!!

Rather than this just be another gripe of complaining thread, I wanted to try and get this to be constructive in soem way, almost like an online petition for Bit-Tech and Dennis to (hopefully) at last pay some attention. We all only need to post once per person, but if everyone could please post what their feelings and coping mechanism is for the adverts, hopefully some action will be taken???

I spent years tolerating the adverts, and have actually clicked on a fair few in my time. I now however have been forced to install an Ad-Blocker due to the intrusive nature of the adverts preventing me from viewing or participating functionally with the website. I am not happy about this but feel there is no other way around it, other than hopefully this cry for help to BT and Dennis.

I encourage everyone to post, please! Tell us, are you happy with the current way of advertising? Unhappy? Are you prepared to tolerate it? Do you want it changed? What would you like instead?

:thumb:

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

With all due respect, there are two threads related to intrusive adverts in the Feedback & SUggestions sub-forum already. There is absolutely no need for a third. Requesting that this be merged with the other one or vice versa.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Merged the three threads.

I know you guys feel strongly about this, but try and keep it all in one place, the folks who run the site will be able to hear your opinions better if they only have to look at this thread instead of trawling through the forums.

:thumb:

12. greypilgers

Fair comment, although I was specifically not trying to copy the threads where everyone just bitches, but actually trying to get a reasoned and concise petition together to represent all the users who are unhappy. I thought that as a petition it would have justified its existence.

The single thread approach of jumbled complaining has obviously had huge success in the past... :wallbash:

Let's all be honest and realistic for a second though - none of this makes any difference and all it achieves is us wasting out lives typing on the forum, no? Do we really expect the advertising types to change the trend? Really?

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It was before your time, but the powers that be have listened to us and taken action on our wishes before, and if we talk loudly enough and enough of us join in on the conversation, they'll listen to us again.

Thanks for the merge, Mankz :)

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll remain optimistic on this, but remember that before the start of this year the Bit-tech staff all sat in the same office block as the advertising team and the publisher, and were salaried employees. Not the case any more :(

Teelzebub likes this.
  15. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Solution to Full screen Ads

Hi All,

In the same boat as everyone else, got very frustrated with the full screen ads, so took the plunge and got adblocker for chrome.... So many ads removed from so many sites Im actually glad I had to go get it!

Seems to reduce YT adverts too.

So anyway, linky

Enjoy

16. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Should probably have put this in the other thread which has had 3 more threads in a similar vein merged already. I vote for a nother merge :thumb:

17. longweight

Come on, keep it all in one thread! Adblock has been covered loads of times in the thread.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

19. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

We're obviously having a bit of an e-merge-ency here.

I'll grab my coat.

Also, these adverts are far too intrusive. I thought the bottom banner was bad...

20. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Guys/Gals

Please keep in mind that this is not the Moderators fault and TBH there was a very fast response from them on this subject. I for one have voiced my opinion on the intrusive adverts but I want to thank the MODS for their fast response to this so cut them a little slack when they ask you to post a screen shot.

P.S. On the note about intrusive adverts pleas do away with the full screen adds and the scrolling adds across the bottom they are annoying to say the least the add time to the page load. I don't mind the adds at the top of the page or on the sides, and if it will help ill click on them once a day but adds that take over screen real-estate are a bit over the top

Baz likes this.