1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage So much for buying only samsung f4's. Samsung now is the same as seagate..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GregTheRotter, 19 Jun 2012.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Just found that the samsung support takes you to seagate website. I completely forgot that samsung became part of seagate. I also never realised that all Samsung OEM drives now only have a 1 year warranty.

So how many of you guys care about warranty? It seems only WD offers 2 year warranties for their OEM drives. :eyebrow:

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I don't particularly care about warranty on hard drives. Of the things in my rig that I fear may fail, the HDDs are on the bottom of my list.

I don't even back things up, that's how much I fear my hard drive failing lol

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The difference between 1 and 2 year warranties for drive wouldn't really bother me, since I wouldn't be worried about one dying in that time.
    If you could get them with 10 year warranties without much more cost, then I might be interested :)

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

1 year is about the norm for OEM kit - thats why you buy retail for longer warrenties :p

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Aamazon don't seem to sell retail drives, also retail drives seem to cost almost double what oem drives do or am I mistaken? The WD caviar black drives have 5 year warranties, but a 2tb drive costs £150 while a 2tb samsung f4/caviar green costs £90. May as well buy two and raid them heh.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. noizdaemon666

OEM HDDs used to come with much longer. The floods changed all mthat. Like I said though, hasn't and won't bother me.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

theres a retail 1tb drive on scan (seagate) for under £60 retail ;) still along way from £40 they were before the flood :(

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

:jawdrop:

Noiz, do you have nothing of sentimental value on there? Photos and such? At least copy them to an external drive if you have...

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. noizdaemon666

I have photos, videos, movies (which I no longer have discs for), games, saved games and music. And I don't have an external hard drive.........And it all lives on a 4 year old HDD..........As you can tell, I'm seriously bad ass :p lol

I did at one point have RAID0 on 2x250GB drives backed up to a single 500GB but I got rid of that for a reason I can't remember now. If I had the money I would buy more hard drives but I prioritise other upgrades first.

I could back it all up to the other half's laptop but it's like cleaning the house, I know I should do it and it'll just come back to bite me later, but I still don't do it.

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've had so many HDDs fail on me. You will too one day. The difference is, I'm backed up, and you will lose stuff that is important to you. How can you prioritise ANYTHING over back up?

There's bad ass... then there's foolish.

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Trust me when you lose them you will feel like you've lost a part of you, especially if they're sensitive pictures and you only have one copy of them.

Music/games/films can all be re-downloaded/ripped but it's still a ball ache when you have TB's worth.

I'd at least have your most precious stuff backed up in the cloud or on usb drives.

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

How much warranty do the older F3 drives have?

I have a pair and I am sure they had a few years on them.

Would never buy a HD that only had a years warranty.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

F3 have a 3 year warranty

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Listen dude, I stopped buying seagate drives many years ago because they would last maybe 2 years before the sector errors started appearing. 4 years ago I warned a friend not to buy seagate, he didn't, the drive failed within a few years. We all use samsung. I have 5 samsung drives. I was horrified when I read the news last year that samsung would become part of seagate.

I guess it's no longer safe to buy samsung. I'd be worried about it doing so.

I wondered if the samsung tech might be used to make seagate more reliable but it can go either way I guess.

15. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

i dont backup my windows install. Too much storage I don't have and they are running on 2 500GB hard drives that are now 5 years old. Absolute work horses! I backup my Kubuntu install and MacBook Pro but then I do most of my work on them. Windows is only there for playing games.

Bill

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm bookmarking this thread to dredge for awesome quotes when the inevitable happens.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so who do you suggest? i personally advise against maxtor as they are the most terrible drives i`ve ever had. ever.

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

That's retail though, not oem. Correct me if I'm wrong, That's just what the seagate website says about samsung oem.

19. maple

maple Minimodder

going to remind him when his hdd fails :p

but thats what i do too

when hdd prices come do again i'll get a decent size hdd

since samsung is seagate now which hard drives should we be looking at?

every hitachi i've had in a laptop and pc has failed on me at some point

although the hitachis were deathstars

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Currently got 2 Samsung and 2 Hitachi drives, no problems with either so far.
    Had some WD drives which weren't bad either, never had a Seagate drive.

Wanting some 4TBs to come on offer at £160, then I'll commit and get a couple since all my drives went into the red this morning :(