1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Got in on a clack GB!

2. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

It is casual dress day tomorrow! No more suits in 27C thunderstorms!

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

supmitted an application to work at Frontier Development studios, the chance to work alongside David Brayben and making games is a opportunity I look forward to.

cross your fingers for me.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Awesome buddy, congratulations to you both :)

5. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

What is that? And where it is going to be located?

6. suragh

suragh Derp

It's Friday! Friday! gotta get...

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

DENIED.

In other news; Awesomely oversized "breakfast". It's a miracle I'm not overweight.

8. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

It's an aluminum tower section to mount an antenna to. I build the antenna's themselves normally but we are looking at building these towers now as well, that was essentially a mock-up section.

I'm not into ham radio so I have no idea where it'd go (I just build the things), but all I know is that i've got to build another 4 sections in that size and another 5 in a smaller size.

The fact I get to spend all day chopping and drilling alu up makes me happy.:D

9. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

I do not question your engineering-skills, but when I was assembling high-voltage transmission line pylons, we had to put the diagonal supports so rain-water will not speed up the erosion corrosion (right term?), hard to explain but I tried to make few pics for you.

I marked on the picture which diagonal supports seems to be right and which seem to be in the wrong way

[​IMG]

Aaand....

[​IMG]

...This is how the diagonal supports should be facing to sky (rain water), so basicly if it's facing in the wrong way, the inside cornern will draw most of water to flow on that point, which causes faster erosion on the metal (sure it would propably take years to do any critical damage to it, but isn't it every engineers bride to build everything to last as long as it can ;) ) So the inside cornern (90 degree turn) should be facing down, so the water wont have any direct path where it could flow. (IF you don't understand, do not do any changes, and if you do, think carefully, I'm not expert, but this is how I've been taught, and what I've seen on towers and pylons that are located outdoors.

Only good high-resolution picture I found for reference.

-And sorry if you can't understand I just woke up and I'm heading to night shift, I can go take better reference pics next week to explain my point if you don't quite get it. And mind my horrible drawings (or sure you just could walk to the nearest high-voltage steel-pylon to observe it yourself) :lol:

Disclaimer, I take no responsibility if you are going to follow my tips.

Joey Propane likes this.
  10. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

No your right, that's definitely something we overlooked. As I said, this was only a mock-up (or prototype), so it's something to take on when we start building them properly.:thumb:

11. andrewbarke

andrewbarke What's a Dremel?

Finding out that i've got the job i've being wanting working for a big player in computers!! roll on the 13th august!!!

12. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Accepted my current summer job (student) with pay of Euro 8.62/hour but have just been told that they put me in the wrong pay grade so am getting a pay rise... BOOM! Also because I am a student working in Belgium I do not pay tax :)

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

A small perk really, discovered yesterday evening that my ISP has seemingly removed my broadband usage limit and our connection speed (down) has almost doubled. 13Mb instead of 7Mb :)

14. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Today I sold my Zakk Wylde les paul custom for more than advertised to a collector and musician who lives local to me,well chuffed hopefully my marshall amp will sell now also. What a great start to the day,I cant say life sucks because it doesnt it just gets better everyday waking up every morning to see my lovely wife smiling and happy makes my day. Now this has sold I can treat her to a laptop as a surprise extra pressie for her 45th birthday on the 15th of this month my tnx to her for being not only the best wife and sweetheart on the planet but also my best friend & soulmate

Teelzebub and Parge like this.
  15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

ELITE 3. Make it happen. :D

I've got laying queens in both my hives (finally!). All is good with the world again.

G0UDG likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

New (to me) Motorola Xoom tablet - bought as 16GB wifi, actually 32GB 3g, now rooted & flashed to ICS.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

^ This ^ :hip:

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

they are working on another elite title from what I hear called "Elite 4" (no idea where the 4 came from)

I'm going ****ing insane atm, i need some good luck to come my way.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What those guys are calling Elite 3 is Elite 4.

Elite = Elite 1.
    Frontier: Elite 2 = Elite 2
    Frontier: First Encounters = Elite 3
    Game that Braben has been allegedly working on since 2005 = Elite 4.

20. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Just had my payslip handed to me confirming what I'll be getting on Friday.
    Looking forward to the extra £250.

So glad I was able to get my hours increased this month.