1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iniquix, 7 Jul 2012.

1. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

Hey :)

Basically I'm looking to build a completely new for my nephew with regards to him wanting one. I could use some help and opinions if at all possible :).

Completely free canvas to do what you want with up to £1000.

So for layout:

Case:

Motherboard:

CPU:

CPU Fan:

RAM:

Graphics Card:

PSU:

Hard Drive:

Monitor:

SSD:

Any help is much appreciated :)

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Last edited: 7 Jul 2012
  3. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

Gaming mainly but also does a lot of photoshop work for UNI

4. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Right, £1000 budget, needs monitor, but no mention of peripherals like mouse, KB, speakers and OS. Since you mention he's at Uni i will take it he can get a copy of windows for cheaper so i wont factor that into my budget.

If he's paying for it himself then i'll spec something out leaving money left over as beer money is more important than anything else at uni. Again, if he's at uni space is likely at a premium so i'll go for a mATX (i generally prefer the size anyway as unless you need 6 expansion slots there isnt much advantage to a huge board/case).

CPU: Intel 3570k - £174 : Great CPU for every need.
    Mobo: Asus P8z77-M - £86 : small, cheap and has everything he would need on it.
    RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4gb) - £35 : 8GB will be plenty.
    HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm - £82 : Prefer WD but seagate is cheaper and both are as fast and reliable as each other at the moment. May want more or less storage than this, although 2TB is the sweet spot for prices right now.
    SSD: Samsung 830 128GB - £79 : Holy hell thats cheap, think im going to get one myself after seeing that price!
    ODD: Any dvd rewriter - £14 : They are all pretty much the same price and speed
    GPU: MSI 7850 Twin frozr3 - £180 : Own a 7850 myself and it handles everything i throw at it. Cheapest one at moment on scan and an excellent cooler.
    Monitor: Asus Designo 24" - £174 : Stupid name, but easily the cheapest IPS 24" panel i can see on scan. If he is doing proper photoshop work for uni an IPS is worth it. Havent heard any bad things about this monitor but im not that knowledgeable on them so if someone steps in to recommend something else then that would be awesome.
    PSU: Be Quiet 400w E9 straightpower - £54 : 400w is enough, i run a very similar system to this one on this PSU and have never recorded wattage going above 230w from the wall, which equates to about 210w draw from the PSU. Reasonably cheap, GOLD rated so about as efficient as you can get.

Total: £880. Add in the cost of a case of course (i dont like to recommend cases as its very much down to personal choice. A cheap one costing £20-25 will suffice, but you can easily spend 3 times that on a fancy one, but if he isnt going to be delving inside the case himself, it doesnt really matter).

Sort out the OS (again, get it through his Uni, way cheaper) and KB/mouse/speakers if needed.

With a case and OS total probably comes to around £950-980.

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I went for the tiny PC build as I remember a Lot of moving my PC around and would have killed for a smaller PC case.

Farting bob did you forget a case or am i Blind?

6. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

I said in my summary to pick a case himself as its down to personal prefernce, although yes a smaller case would be good (hence why i went mATX and stock CPU cooler). The GPU is of a reasonable length and would fit in all but the smallest cases, and the PSU is below average length as well.