Steam Endless Space

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by adam_bagpuss, 2 Jul 2012.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

anyone got this or seen it on steam.

Bought it yesterday as it looked pretty good. played about 2 or 3 hours and its addictive as hell. It is definitely "just one more turn" fun.

it a steamlined 4x game that is kinda like Masters of Orion or how that game should have been (less micro management)

its currently in open beta BUT is released in 2 days so i doubt the final game will be much different as they have an open feedback and development cycle which has steered the game since Alpha.

thoughts, opinions, bit-tech game setup ?

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I've been very interested about this after seeing some of the details on it. If funds allow, I'll be getting it. Still haven't fired up Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion yet though :D

3. adam_bagpuss

yeah i have trinity and it the reviews ive read said if you own it already its not game changer. However if you dont have it then its awesome since its the full game from original to latest expansion.

ill probably get it but not till a steam sale

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I was hoping to get Endless Space through ZiiP, but no word yet if they can get it in.

Still, if it gets released at a good price I'll look into getting it (possible due to the sale).

Then again, I also want to put forward orders for Borderlands 2 ULE, Dishonoured and X-COM.

The video for ES does look very nice though.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Yes, only started playing it today. Can't seem to find the technologies I need to colonise planets though. It says I am missing a technology, but I can't find it on the technology tree!

Still, in the couple of hours I had today with it, I found it strangely relaxing!

6. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

I might be interested in playing this, but I've got a copy of Sins which I have never really played and am wondering if this might go the same way. :eyebrow:

7. adam_bagpuss

different game this is about empire strategy and positions and planet building rather than unit tactics and battles.

The game is much more like Masters of Orion, CIV series and Neptunes pride

8. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Looks quite good but I think I am more suited to X Rebirth.

9. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Been keeping an eye of this and if its like masters of orion im in! Can you make ur own ships? :D

Sins, im always trying to max my tech tree and fall behind militarily lol! Then i spend like 3 hrs on a game and forget about it :S

10. adam_bagpuss

you can customise the differnt class ships load out with whatever equipment you want but you cant design the look of a ship.

its a massive time sink - i was on the other day for 2 hrs and i thought about 5 minutes had past! (in a good way)

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've just got this, I've been looking for a good 4X space game for a while. I played a bit of GalCiv II a few months back but it is a bit outdated now (although I only have the first expansion) and although Sins (again, only first expansion) is a bit more modern it's still really an RTS, I wanted a good turn based game.

I've not played it loads as I've been really busy this weekend, but I think it's an awesome game.

I've got one question though, I've not really figured this one out yet. I know what production, science and dust does, but I'm not exactly sure what food does precisely. Usually in a game like this it's the population cap of a planet, however the size/type of the planets themselves is the population cap, so what's it for? I have **** loads of food but I don't understand what the game play benefit is of having that much.

Probably didn't pay much attention in the tutorial for that bit.

12. adam_bagpuss

i think 2 food is consumed for every population unit.

So the bigger the excess the quicker the population grows, once you have maxed the pop there is no need for more food than is total pop x2 on a planet.

Also i think food applies across the system as opposed to planet too so systems with 4 or 5 planets benefit from high food production to grow quickly.

Veles likes this.
  13. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Correct - Food is 2 per pop. unit and is spread across the entire system. This means you can has, in a 6 planet system, 2 terran planets for food and the rest for dust/industry/science.

As for the research: all terraform/colonization tech is in the bottom quarter of the research view. "basic" Luxury/Strategic resources tech is found 1 in each tech tree (4 total), and more exotic ones are unlocked with research from the right tech tree. Lastly all the rep boosting upgrades are found the left quarter tech tree.

Epic game - I only wish that combat was a bit more...... "involving" :p

14. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

what does a 4x game mean?

Anyway, havent had much combat yet, didnt think tutorial particular great, but guess a load of trial and error lol.

15. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

16. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Cheers :clap:

On a related note, i have some systems i cant fly to, instead of a solid line, its like a twirly cloud? Im assuming i need to research something but cant figure out what.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

endless space

super addictive 4x turn based game

sins of a solar empire rebellion

super addictive 4x none turn based game

they are both brilliant own them both

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah you have to research tech on the bottom tree that allows you to travel through wormholes, it's not very high tier.

It's quite a clever idea, means that even on a small map you have that buffer of time before you meet other players.

You also get warp drives which allow you to travel between stars even if there's no connection, however it's slow so the autopilot will often avoid doing this.

19. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I'm still figuring out a few things in the game, so I've been playing against only one opponent and taking it slow. Problem is something weird happens and not sure if its a bug or a freature.

A couple of times now I'll be playing the game with one other race on the map and are completely allied to them (very close rating). Then all of a sudden they will break the alliance and then stright after the game says i've lost! :wallbash:

So what?! Once a alliance is made, breaking it kills the other player?!

20. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Cheers I knew it would be tech somewhere lol