1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build boots for 2 seconds then turns off. loops...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louist44, 9 Aug 2012.

1. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

help me troubleshoot this please guys, Im not sure what is wrong and think I need to RMA something... but what?

So I have the mobo sitting on a box atm out of the rig so there are no shorts...

cpu cooler attached, gpu attached and a stick of RAM that I know works (from my own rig).

I have reseated the CPU twice. 24pin is in and the 4pin cpu. tried a stick of RAM in each of the 4 slots. Not getting any beeps from the speaker either which aint helping... I cant get any video on the monitor. It turns on for 2 seconds. everything spins up and then it dies. wait for about 1 second then it will repeat.

Cant be a short as it is out of the case. Doubt it is the CPU since it has been reseated... RAM is fine.

I think it could be either the PSU or mobo. (my sister grabbed the mobo for some reason thinking she would help me..... lol) Going to try the GPU in my current rig now.

Please help I am not sure what to do?

Will probably have to take out my PSU and try it in this build to make sure it is not faulty. Which I am dreading since I have done all the cables up!

2. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Sounds like the PSU to me.

Had the same issue with my recent build until I spliced 2 seperate molex plugs into a 6 pin for the GPU.

3. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

Yea got a feeling It is the PSU too. It is a budget one.

GPU is fine as I am using it now.

Going to try splitting it with molex cables now thanks.

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Normally CPU or psu in this situation, if its a cheapo psu then Id suggest that will be the problem, get a decent psu and you'll be ok.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

5. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

500W Coolermaster GX Lite RS-500-ASAB, 86% Eff' Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3, PSU is the power supply.

I assumed this would be enough for a 560?

To power the GPU I have one 6 pin and the other 6 pin is connected to a molex splitter, it also has another cable coming off it like a 4 pin fan would use. Does this need to be plugged in too? there is nowhere for this to go...

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

That should plug in somewhere on the mobo- are there no spare fan headers at all?

7. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

There are only two 4pin fan header. one is for the CPU and the other is for sys2 fan.

But the splitter cable cant reach. Gpu is too long, will need to buy a longer pair.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Take out the memory completely and try booting it - does it do the exact same thing? Try also taking it all out and booting it outside the case.

9. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

It does the same thing with no RAM at all. Boot up for a second then turn off. Speaker makes no noise still.

I also have a picture of the 4 pin i was on about incase it makes things clearer.
    http://imgur.com/5gjx1

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Defo a PSU issue or a short then. You might also want to check the CPU is seated properly and there are no bent pins (if you're using Intel)

11. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

Just done the paperclip test and the fans were spinning.

I have already reseated the CPU and it still loops. Could it be a dead CPU? I have a feeling it is the mobo if this is possible. My sister decided to manhandle it at one point thinking she was helping.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sounds like a duff board. Unless you can swap the PSU or CPU to eliminate these completely though.

13. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

will get on this the day after tommorow as I am not free today. Thanks for the help so far

14. G12EG

G12EG What's a Dremel?

you need to plug in the system speaker and listen to the beeps!

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I had this exact problem, motherboard wouldn't get to POST so no error beeps, just contsant power cycles. Anywho it was indeed the motherboard. You're going to have to start RMAing things and if you don't have spare parts to check with then I reckon the motherboard is the place to start.

Teelzebub likes this.
  16. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Normally if you send something back and it turns out not to be the problem, you can send the next item back under the same rma to avoid any possible charges(if they are being nice) at least thats what Scan did with me.

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

is the cpu power cable all the way in? i have made that mistake once as the motherboard cpu pins was bent.

Teelzebub likes this.
  18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sounds like a cable isn't properly in, or you've put an 8 Pin PCI-E cable into the motherboard instead of the EPS cable.

19. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Do a hard BIOS reset, take out the battery and leave for 24 hours !

Worked for me after a failed OC.

dunx

20. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

This isn't by any chance a gigabyte p67 or z68 board is it?