1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Advice on PSU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by t4n6o, 14 Aug 2012.

1. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

As some of you know, last year i built a PC with the HAF X ans some other bits.

Current PC Spec:
    Coolermaster HAF X
    ASUS P8Z68-V
    Intel i5 2500K
    Antec Kuller H2O 620
    Corsair Sandforce 3 120GB SSD
    Corsair Vengance 8GB
    VTX3D HD6950 with aftermarket cooler
    WD Caviar Green 2TB SATAII HDD
    samsung dvd rw
    1 x 230mm led fan
    3 x 200mm led fan
    1 x 120mm led fan
    2 x 120 fan
    Powercool 850w PSU

now what i am wanting to do is get rid of that dodgy powercool PSU as there is not enough spec for what i want to do with it in the future as when i try and give my PC a serious OC it just cuts out and shuts down, not to mention that i want to water cool at some point and add another GPU for crosfire

so I have been lloking for a new PSU and so far i like theese 2 and just want to make sure that they will be adiquate (i know the 1500w will be but the 1300w comes with a fan controler)

1500w
    Coolermaster Silent Pro M"

1300w
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid

any comments,suggestions or advice please

thanks

2. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Nice PSU's, but total overkill.

A good PC Power & Cooling 750W or Seasonic 760W would be more than enough. I know your video card is big, but it's only wattage dependant. Normally you'd need a lot of Amps on the +12V rail and I would still shoot for at least 40 Amps. At most you should get is 900 watts, but that's silly too. Mind you, I have a 1275 Watt PSU, but mine was free from one of my sponsors

-TGS

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That PC can't consume much more than 400W at load with OC. It is more likely that either your PSU is bad or it is a multirail design and you have everything hooked up on one.

Edit: Of course, 4x16A. Try to distribute the load between your rails.

4. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Something like an AX650 or a BeQuiet 650 P9 would be more than sufficient for your rig.

5. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

My only concern is that when will there be enough spec with the 760w, as when i installed my 6950 it said it required a 500w PSU and since i am planning to put a 2nd in as well as wc and a oc to around 5Ghz, also not sure what to go for in the way of rails - should rail 1 be the highest or should they be about the sam as rail 2, 3 ,4 e.t.c.

6. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

You can't expect to run the CPU 24/7 @ 5GHz, you will most likely have to use more than 1.4v to get the CPU stable at 5GHz, but then you are risking damage to the CPU, so it wouldn't be worth it. The difference between 4.5GHz and 5GHz will not be noticeable.

Even with two 6950's and the OC'd CPU the 760W PSU would be sufficient. PSU's either have a single 12v rail or multiple 12v rails. For a PSU with a multiple 12v rail, just add up the Amperage each rail provides and you will be able to determine whether it will be enough for the components in your system. If you want to stay on the safe side of things go for an 850w PSU. Anything over that would be serious overkill.

7. CustomPotato

CustomPotato What's a Dremel?

I'd suggest going for a Corsair TX850. It's a decent price and will be sufficient for your system :)

8. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

The 500W PSU requirement was provided by the card manufacturer right? In this case you can more or less ignore it. Card manufacturers do not know what sort of PSU you will have in your machine. A 400W quality PSU will output those 400W easily, under any circumstances and will be enough to run most set ups, even fairly high end. They basically cover their butts and make allowance for grey box no-name PSUs which can have a 700W rating, but actually can deliver 250-300W stable at best.
    1500W PSUs are only really usable if you want to have three or four high end cards, a dual CPU mobo, array of ten hard drives, water pumps and overlcocking the hardware on top of it. I use a i7-920 and a GTX 580 (all running stock since I don't have any games which can push them at 1080p) with an OCZ ZX850W PSU and that is very much overkill. Used to run the same CPU with a 4890 on a CX400 from Corsair for a while and it worked fine.

9. Air_Cooling

Air_Cooling What's a Dremel?