1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice ITX Again, but focus on weight and size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okenobi, 23 Aug 2012.

1. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I need to quote for a machine for an interesting application. It doesn't have to fully game, just serve media. BUT it does have to do Photoshop CS6 :D

Also, it's gonna be used initially in the Italian Alps this season as my main TV/movies rig with my lovely Dell 23, rather than investing in an overpriced ultrabook. So portability is key.

I need one SSD slot (thinking 128 will be enough, but maybe 256) and then room for a 3TB HDD for photos and media. If I can get two 3.5HDDs in - great. If not, so be it.

Thinking the Asus Z77 board, with an i5, but can't decide whether to bother with Ivy Bridge, or just bang a Sandy Bridge in there. Did I remember correctly that they run cooler?

Intended GPU is probably the same Sapphire Ultimate passive 6670 that's in my main rig here as it has DP, DVI and HDMI and it's ideal for media and light gaming.

I will probably drive down there, so I can chuck it in the car, but on the off chance it has to fly anyway with me (or anybody else) it needs to be light and small.

Quietness is preferable over speed, or power requirements (I have an R3 and Seasonic X here) but light and small has to be number one.

Oh and if it could look nice, that'd be a plus.

Thoughts?! :D

2. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

MAC mini? would be the easy option.

4. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Only one HDD from what I can make out, and no optical drive. Or am I going nuts?

Dunx, that case looks interesting. What do you mean, no video? It has an expansion slot, no...?

5. shah

shah Minimodder

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

7. shah

shah Minimodder

8. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

The server model has two, but you can also get a kit to add a second drive to the other configurations. There isn't an inbuilt optical drive though.

9. G12EG

G12EG What's a Dremel?

are you going to be over clocking?

if not you could save a few ££ and get a h77 board

10. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

:duh: Linked item doesn't - I is stoopid....

I have a Fractal server, I "had to" mod the drive cage to miss my GTX 480, drilled out two rivets, one saw cut and two new rivets means (only) a four bay drive cage +SSD, and acres of room, also needed a better SFX PSU for the silly GPU.

But that was a couple of years back. The Elite is an easier "fix" IMHO

Good luck with the project!

dunx

P.S. Sorry, old and confused :D

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your help guys. Due to storage requirements, looks like I'm gonna be going small micro ATX instead. Just for the flexibility.