1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Microsoft Surface thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 19 Sep 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

For those of you whom don't know, Microsoft are releasing a Windows 8 tablet with the specs of an ultrabook. The RT (RunTime) version is being released on the same date as Windows 8 (26th October) and the Pro version is being released sometime in January (specific date not set).

The RT version is predominantly Metro, meaning whilst it does have Windows desktop and a limited form of Office, it cannot run legacy software. It measures 0.37" thick and weighs 1.49 pounds. The screen is HD 1366 x 768, storage is either 32GB or 64GB however there is a microSD for further expansion. It'll run on Nvidia’s Tegra 3 ARM processor (I have no idea if this is good or not btw).

The Pro version has the full Windows 8 OS you'd expect to see on an ultrabook/desktop computer. It measures 0.53" thick and weighs 1.99 pounds. the resolution has been described as full HD so it's likely to be 1920 x 1200, storage is either 128GB or 256GB + microSD slot of course. It'll be running on the Ivy bridge i5, although the clock speed hasn't been announced.

Those are the major differences between the two, for me the biggest difference is that the RT is restricted to the Metro interface, making it very similar to the iPad. The weight and thickness of the RT is also similar to that of the iPad, and given these facts I'd estimate it as being priced around the £500 mark (in line with the price of the current iPad gen). Both the RT and Surface have the same 10.6" screen, and while people will say the resolution is far lower than Apple's retina, thanks to optical bonding you can't distinguish the pixels unless you look really closely.

I'm going to get the Pro when it's released, it'll likely cost around £800 but I'd say it's worth it as I need the legacy software for my programming etc. I've been waiting for Microsoft to make a decent tablet for a while now, as I would never buy an iPad as it isn't useful. I'll be using for uni etc. will post a review up once I get it, (the review will be honest and unbiased, if I think it's not worth the £800 I won't recommend it to anyone here).

My only concern is battery life, due to the i5 processor it may only last a few hours continued use which really just isn't good enough. We'll see soon though, here's a preview of the Pro if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvI5AfX_sVg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited: 19 Sep 2012
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

Don't think I'd pay £800 for a tablet however great it is, would need to be compatible with native x86 games at a minimum for me to consider it. Can get a MacBook air for similar cash and in all honesty microsoft going to have to come up with something special for most to consider £800. If its even that cheap.

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I'm with the OP - really excited by this.

From what we've seen so far, the design looks awesome and it seems to have had a lot of thought and love lavished on it. I'm excited by Windows 8 after using the dev builds and I think this is THE device to get it on (I'm referring to the pro version).

Love the idea, love the specs and the fact that it has display out (I can't remember, it's HDMI I think, and display port on the RT?) and USB so you can dock it and use it on a bigger screen, it's phenomenal.

I might wait to see what hands on reviews of the device say before ordering, but if the majority are positive then I'll be there, £800 in hand. Shut up and take my money Microsoft!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

i.e. those who have been living under a rock on Pluto...

Incorrect. It does have a Windows Desktop and comes with an RT version of Office (somewhat limited to allow it to run on an ARM processor) preloaded. There is no legacy software for the RT desktop, but I have a feeling that may change in future.

I think that "useful" is in the eye of the user. There is some pretty spectacular functional productivity software available for iPads these days. Similarly an RT tablet may be all most people need for their mobility needs. Mobile capabilities mean nothing if your battery only lasts 4 hours.

5. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Dont forget other companies are releasing the PRO version with their own hardware on the 26th - if you can't wait until Jan.

Lenovo will be releasing a dual core atom version running pro, will be intersting to see how the atom performs.

Dell are also tipped to have a killer pro tablet ready for release day.

The world of tablets is about to change, esp' for the enterprise environment!

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I could be wrong but full hd on a 10/11 inch screen seems like it would make anything non metro too small. Personally I see little advantage in an x86 tablet over a larger ultrabook where the primary use would be for document creation and development. Even more so with a windows 8 ultra book which would allow use of metro apps along with x86 stuff. For me tablets are for curling up on the couch with, laptops/desktops are for work.

7. Nexxo

The idea of Windows 8 tablet devices is that they can be both. Attach keyboard for work, detach keyboard for curling up on the couch.

8. theshadow2001

Yes, thats the idea. I just don't think the small form factor is best suited to work.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

It's a crying shame that theyre only dropping in October (specifically the i5 one).

My other half is DESPARATELY in need of a new notebook, and thus I was sortof forced to shell out on an Ultrabook last week - it should be here in this week still.
    Had surface been a bit closer, I would have picked one of those up instead. It's like a Tablet, but with a keyboard. And Office. And Windows.

It really would have been perfect for the girlfirend's needs. But living here, I can expect the delivery to be delayed with 3 months anyway, and that would have been way late then.

They look good, though. And they fall in line with my feeling that Windows 8 and the mobile variants of it are going to make a splash.

10. Nexxo

You can hook them to a desktop monitor and keyboard. Then all of a sudden it makes sense. :)

11. rollo

rollo Modder

For the general user the rt tablet will struggle to take sales vs the competing products iPad and nexus 7.

For the pro user

The x86 tablet needs better battery life than the equivalent priced ultra book or it will not be picked up by the enterpri sector. ( also needs native software support for photoshop and it's Ilk.

Quick question

Has the surface been confirmed for world release ( aka outside of USA )?

12. Nexxo

I think the RT tablet will do just fine, because it is Windows, which is reassuringly familiar.

The x86 tablet is going to kill with business types who need to do a lot of customer presentations or use the device while walking around. And all things being equal, who wouldn't want an Ultrabook that is also a tablet for a small price premium?

13. theshadow2001

If I had a workstation to work on why would I need a portable device?

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Because you could be a type like me. I work on my workstation at home probably 15-20 work days per month. For that Surface Pro would be ideal to use as a consumer device, as a tablet, with the removable keyboard in the cover. And then comes the rare exception when i need to go work somewhere else - at company HQ, at clients - in that case a small, lightweight, portable device with keyboard is perfect.

That is why i will sell my 13" Macbook once Surface Pro will be on sale :).

15. Mother-Goose

That was exactly my point - you get the benefit of a tablet for curling up on the couch but you can hook up the video out and bang a wireless USB desktop set and you are sorted, with it's ultrabook specs.

A lot of people at work have got MacBook Air's here (13") but they all dock them when proper work is required. I can see the Surface Pro fulfilling that role quite easily.

Edit:

I think the rumoured specs are i5 (Ivy Bridge so I guess you'd assume it is one of the U models so it's likely to be dual core - I don't think the mobile i5's have hyperthreading, do they? ), 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD - specs like that, along with cloud storage from Sky Drive, that's a very potent combination.

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And USB3. Good enough for an average SSD connected through USB3 adapter (180MB/s is more than good enough for any work, and there is pretty much no hit on access times).

*I only hope RAM will be 8GB, but we will see.

17. Nexxo

Why do people with a desktop PC still buy an iPad?

18. theshadow2001

Because you can't curl up on the couch with your desktop.

19. Nexxo

Exactly. Now what if you could have one device, that you can plug into a keyboard and monitor when you need a desktop machine, and unplug and use as a tablet when you want to curl up on the couch?

20. Mother-Goose

But with the Surface Pro it seems (and I suspect is being sold as such) that you can. Which is good, right?