1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Fans for rads.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoenixck, 29 Sep 2012.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

So quick question, I'm looking for fans suitable for rads ans was considering the nf f12 or those new corsair fans designed for radiators.

How much impact can fans have on a loops temp (I'm under the impression that pressure is more important than cfm)?

Say I was using a 360 rad would there be much difference temp. wise between a push pull config and either a pull or push setup?

Of course I'm open to other suggestions of fans though performance and quiteness are important (isn't it always, difficult balancing act).

One last question, do people find 3 x 120 rads better/worse/similar in performance to 1 x 360 rad?

2. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1450 rpm

Really effective, really quiet.

3. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Both designs of corsair (AF/SP) both have huge static pressure/air flow and are built for as little noise/vibration transfer as possible, running them as regular air movers in my 550D and more than happy with them.

Well worth the £17 a pair that Amazon UK charge imho - there is also a comparison with static pressure vs rpm and cfm vs dB for them against other popular fans - will have a look see :)

4. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Really, it depends on the rad you'll be using...

So what rad are you using?

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm running Noiseblocker Fans for ages now, and they're really good for basically anything you wanna do with them.

A good and not expensive fan would be the Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL2 -> http://www.noiseblocker.de/BlackSilentPro120.php It's a pure quality fan and comes with dampeners, toolless screws and sleeved extension-cables.

Their newest product is even more interesting, the NB-eLoop S-Series 120mm -> http://www.noiseblocker.de/eLoop120.php

But there's other companies making good fans ofc.

Lot's of people recommend the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, then there's the Akasa Apache which is very good aswell. Enermax has some interesting ones etc etc.

The market is really saturated these days, so I stay with the company I'm trusting for over a decade now and they never let me down so far, be it for watercooling or for simple aircooling.

7. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

It will most likely be the Phobya 1080, which I'll be building into the case.

Which means in a push/pull config I'll need 18 120mm fans or 8 140mm fans. which is why I'm considering either a push or pull configuration. Any words from the wise bit techers as to how effective this would be in comparrison to a push pull config?

8. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

Im pretty sure push-pull offers minimal increase in cooling, maybe a few degrees with a typical 240 rad, so considering the cost just push would be the best option

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'd favour 4x 180mm over 9x 120mm for this radiator, as you'll have less dead-spots this way. And push-pull isn't really making that much difference.

Sure, it depends on the hardware you're cooling, but 18x 120mm fans in push-pull will turn your rig into an unenjoyable noise-emitter, even when you're running all fans at 500rpm. And this rad with 4x 180mm should've actually no problems with cooling an overclocked CPU paired with two GTX680 in SLI.

There's a package with four 180mm Phobya-fans available -> http://www.aquatuning.de/product_in...ilent-18-700rpm-RED-und-schwarzer-Blende.html And if you scroll down there's a video-review comparing 9x 120 vs 4x 180/25 vs 4x 180/32.

And there's a review about it here on BT aswell comparing 9x 120 vs 4x 180 -> http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=208226

Last edited: 29 Sep 2012
  10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

That is what I thought. Depends on how tightly packed your fins are for instance and whether you are prioritising the quantity of air pushed through, fast moving turbulent air or a slow consistent stream.

Could be talking cod **** though... :clap: