1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 6 Jan 2012.

1. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

2. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Sorry, that’s not what I meant.

I know steam is the DRM, but what confused me was why you needed a constant VPN connection, initially I thought that implied that the game also needed a constant connection like some of the Ubisoft games had adopted. But now I can see (as you said) it's just that Steam checks your region when you try to play again! :)

The laggy looking video play back was driving me mad! I hope this 1080 update/fix solves it. Although I was not getting the mouse lag that some reported, scrolling round your ant farm base or the tactical map for that matter is painfully slow :/

I have just completed my first full month, and am really enjoying the game so far, even with some of its compromises to the original.

However I am going to have to say something I know will be controversial:

I am a little disappointed at the low res textures and clunky UI, a clear sign of its multi platform heritage. A great example being the Vigilo Insignia on lapels of the base personnel, in the videos the text on the insignia is legible but when it reverts to the in game engine view, it’s unreadable and the general textures are terribly low quality!

In my eyes, the colour pallet used, the low rest textures, the overly zoomed in feel, the larger than life bulkiness of everything is a clear concession to the fact that probably more than 50% of the player base will be console owners, sat 6-8 feet away from HDTVs, where a combination of console limitations and how many of these design choices would look ok on a TV at that distance.

Don't get me wrong, because they kindly provided a demo, I was aware of this and still decided to buy it, a sign of how much I enjoy the overall game play but I can't ignore what I see :)
    It reminds me a bit of Mass Effect 3, which does look ok, arguably better than Mass Effect 2 but still pretty awful compared to any game that has been specifically designed and optimised to take advance of even moderate PC hardware.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2012
  3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i patched on vpn and no lock occurred

i bought EU normal then VPN'd for pre-play and did patch.

no issues been on it tonight

5. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Your sig takes me in circles :S

@DeckerdBR

Hopefully the modders will help with stuff like this, or maybe they release a quality upgrade patch down the line. Im looking forward to seeing what mods come from this. But it could be worse, some multi platforms are terrible!(Someone mentioned before about hotkeys jumping around, like over watch is 2 on a normal trooper but equip a medipack and it becomes 3 :S thats a bit annoying)

Im not looking forward to DLC which i suspect will be in the works at some point.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

7. impar

impar Minimodder

8. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I hope this game is a big success, because I would LOVE there to be a new Syndicate game! (and not that daft FPS one)

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I have 3 words: satelite uplink facilities!

So important to expand your global coverage.

Really enjoying this game so far.

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I have been experimenting with the 'To Hit' percentage chance. I have one guy with a 58% chance to hit a particular alien so I save the game here. I loaded the game 50 times and each time the sniper guy missed the target. The alien is behind half-cover. If hit percentage was working as I expected it to, then I should have hit him at least half of the time. OK, I could have been particularly unlucky, but after 50 tries one would have expected the laws of probability to pan out.

So, is the to hit percentage working at all or has the game already decided if you are going to hit or not by the time you come to shoot? Or, is cover protection worked out AFTER to hit percentage - if the latter then this doesn't seem right.

EDIT --->

It seems the to hit is calculated for every target after each character moves. If I do the same experiment, my guy misses every time, but if I then move another of my guys and THEN go back to the original guy then I do hit the alien roughly half of the time.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2012
  11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It will be to do with when the game calculates the random seed, some lots of games don't generate a new one upon loading to stop you from saving and reloading to get the good outcome.

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Hmm having read around a bit I can see this now, but it leaves me feeling a little like I am not really in control. Also I think it makes the save/load thing even easier as you know what is going to happen each time. It almost seems scripted...

I am still enjoying the game though.

Edit...

I am actually disappointed by the AI in the game actually - I think it is much more simplistic that it actually makes it out to be. I think that every turn, the AI decides if an alien can be hit by a particular player unit or not and it doesn't actually matter what that player's position is, where he moves to, or what hit percent it is. I have been experimenting for a few hours and it seems that the AI is not very clever at all. What it means is that it becomes somewhat tactically irrelevant (to an extent).

In the reverse, where your unit is standing will not determine whether it will be hit or not, only whether the alien fires at it in the first place. If the alien fires at the unit, the result will be the same wherever your unit is standing (cover or no cover).

Slightly disappointing.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2012
  13. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

There is certainly something wrong with the hit chances, but something that can probably be fixed in a patch. It is worth adding that your distance/position does affect the damage done.

Personally found a few annoying bugs, when the new objective box flashes up it has no text in it, literally just an empty box with the ok/accept button on it. I lost a shiv and when I built a new one it, it appears invisible in my barracks (i.e when I select it on the list and it usually shows the models it isn't there!). When trying to select it for a mission it just beeps. An error when I couldn't end a move, every option just beeped at me when I tired to select it. Crashed once at the end of alien activity (crashed to windows with the standard this program has stopped responding).

On the level breaking engine or broken engine, ironically there appeared to be a number of graphical glitches with the camera zooming into the darkness and doing nothing, lots of clipping etc. Another mission in one of the space ships became almost unplayable with it being almost impossible to select the upper level because viewing the upper level would show the roof rather than the floor. I finished it but was not able to fully utilise the higher ground in some sections.

Having said that I clocked up 21 hours in two days and loving it. Do you have to pick up alien weapons on the battlefield or are they collected at the end? I tried to stand next to one and click on it, but not sure if it was partially destroyed or not.

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

You can capture weapons only by capturing the aliens with an arc thrower I think.

I'm 16 hours in, not even assaulted the alien base yet and loving it. Lost US support, but sending satellites up all over the place now.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I am loving this and i've only had one bug so far when a SHIV spawned in with no weapon!

Is there a way of stopping the alien weapons from exploding when you kill them? I have researched the plasma weapons but a severe lack of elerium is stopping me from manufacturing them. The only time you seem to get a decent haul of undamaged alien weapons is from crashed UFO's.

Crysalids are just as scary in the remake!

I assaulted the base last night. The first time I got ambushed by Crysalids and lost half the squad in one turn. I restarted the level and it auto-generated a different base with a layout more suited to my elite sniper and I cleared it with out loosing anybody and captured the commander. Infact I have only had two soldiers killed and i'm on month 4. The heavy from the tutorial has been on nearly every mission and is fully ranked up.

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Heh the crysalids used to be a nightmare for me too but wait till it escalates to Elite Mutons lol!

Capturing aliens is a dangerous business, the Arc Thrower has a 2/3 tile range and is most effective against wounded creatures, but the weaker ones will die out right from a good hit of most weapons and you really don’t want to be with 10 tiles of a Crysalid or Muton, let alone 2/3!

On the subject of losses, I have lost 12 squad members now (about 20 hours of gameplay), it used to always be rookies but since the conflict has escalated, I have lost 2 Majors and 1 Colonel. And that's with Tier 3 Weapons and Armour!

The only real bugs I have experienced are similar to what eVoPhantom mentioned, difficulties in navigating multi-floored structures. Although I found if I rotated the camera with the Q & E keys, I was often able to overcome most of the issues. Very fiddly though, nothing worse than trying to tell your troops to run up stairs, only for them to run into the room behind where you thought you were clicking, a bit of a problem when they then dash into a room full of hostiles!
    There also seems to be some frame rate dropping when I try to lob a grenade under some circumstances. I have yet to experiences the other bugs mentioned

17. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Anyone know what helps to determine which class a rookie gets assigned to? Does it get based on your gameplay style? Most of my recruits turn into snipers, which I favoured early in the game. But with the more dangerous enemies I have gone the "blow **** up" approach.

Oh and when a rookie panics and ends up nailing an enemy instead of shooting a teammate or running into the open, it is a great feeling!

What naming conventions are people using, I am using a mix of friends, family, game\film characters, footballers (yeah I know), F1 drivers and moved on to actors!

18. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

As far as I can tell the class is entirely random, especially as you can get the ability in the officer training school that instantly promotes them to squaddies.

I don't name mine, just have a custom colour scheme to tell stuff apart (heavies in red, assault in purple, supports in white, snipers in black)

19. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I really wish there was a way to tell or choose soldiers roles ahead if time, I currently have only one sniper (max level) 5 support, 2 heavys and 1 assault. I want more snipers and less support!

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?