1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Windows 8: Performance Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Oct 2012.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Its new windows slower than old windows shocker... oh wait no :)

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm sure you are right... and in time, when issues are resolved I'll re-assess the situation, but it's very annoying when a new OS is released that performs worse than the old one. I can't help but feel "Why are you showing me this? You expect me to buy it?".

I still think they need to offer an option for Metro. To do otherwise is just sending a message that MS are only really interested in pandering to those with mobile or touchscreen devices. This is a home/consumer OS if you ask me. I shouldn't have to install 3rd party plugins to get it to play nice with a desktop environment.

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

To be honest, do you even use your start menu anymore? I use the "launch program" box and the quick launch icons but thats it, it will be just as convenient I am sure if the quick launch is the desktop.

Like nexxo says, itll work out.

People need to get used to a new idea :)

edit: and im sure it was all apples idea and ms stole it, from when it does all work out :)

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

:hehe: It's funny because it's true: people will say that!

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Well, I bought it! Now to spend the day installing and getting used to it! W00P!

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Well they could just remove all customization if that's what you want. There are a lot 3rd party applications I use to get windows to work the way I want.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2012
  7. ObsCure

ObsCure What's a Dremel?

And like with win Vista, I will make a decent profit downgrading said users PC's to windows 7 :D

8. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

I am very happy with my new windows 8 install on my 2700k P67 2x256gb M4's system. I dont know what all the fuss about it running on 2560x1600 displays. I love it on my 30" dell.

Love the new file transfer handling, love the new UI, sure its taking getting used to but its not any worse than win 7. Its like a new toy for windows, love it :D

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You don't need to. I've been using Windows 8 in preview and release versions for months now and I've had no need to install anything before it plays nice in a desktop environment.

10. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Windows 8 is not bad at all, the only problem I have I can't run IL2 CLOD.

11. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

reading peoples impressions on windows 8 i thought they were exaggerating, but there really is no reason to "update" from windows 7.

edit:not enough coffee :D

Last edited: 27 Oct 2012
  12. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Do you mean: no reason to "update" to windows 8 ? And no I cant really see any reason apart from SSD support (coming from XP or Vista)
    I upgraded my htpc so I could learn the update drill before doing customers machines and also thinking it would have windows media centre but it hasn't :(

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You know I never really payed much attention but I never use the start menu anymore.

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and this is what telemetrics told Microsoft, which is one of the reasons it was removed, and replaced with the start screen, which lets face it, is a glorified full screen start menu, which I quite like actually

15. brummydad

brummydad What's a Dremel?

I've upgraded a few of the families machines with win 8 and so far no complaints with the performance or doing the stuff they did regularly in win 7. I'm going to set up a spare machine, see how it goes and report back.

16. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'll probably install Windows 8 on my HTPC. Keeping 7 on my main rig though. Using a desktop from ~ 10ft away is almost impossible for me, even with the DPI settings cranked up. The Modern UI seems great for easy navigation from across the room on a TV.

17. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

I've installed 8 on two machines now, an old school Dell laptop (original Core Duo) and a more modern i3 based Lenovo, and I have to say I love the interface and the fluidity of the new gui. My other half is non-techy, and she immediately found 8 much easier to use, and wasn't confused by the lack of Start etc. because she never used the start menu anyway, got confused if she had to go into the file system and so on. For people like her (ie most of the public) win 8 goes a long way to fixing the age-old problem of people being intimidated by their own computers.

For myself, I like 8 on my laptop, with a relatively small screen and where I generally want to do something straightforward, but I will probably stick with 7 for my gaming/graphics rig.

I think a lot of the comments here are missing the point of win 8 - it's not designed to impress pc enthusiasts, it's designed to simplify PCs (built in security software, simple OS reinstallation) and provide an easier interface for normal people.

A someone who's always been singularly unimpressed by tablets sure to the lack of basic functionality, I am pleased that proper computers can now be found in the sameform factor as gimped, overpriced iOS and Android devices. I also think that Win8 is a far better touch interface than either of the two established tablet OSes.

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Well, on my PC...

Image Editing;

Windows 7 - 1793
    Windows 8 - 1884

Windows 8 is about 5% faster.

Video Encoding;

Windows 7 - 3018
    Windows 8 - 2991

Windows 8 is about 0.9% slower.

Multitasking;

Windows 7 - 1708
    Windows 8 - 1682

Windows 8 is about 1.5% slower.

Overall;

Windows 7 - 2173
    Windows 8 - 2183

Windows 8 is about 0.5% faster.

Startup and shutdown times are definitely quicker with Windows 8 but I've not measured them as of yet. The general responsiveness of the UI seems better in Windows 8 too; IMO.

p.s. If my percentages are a bit ropey it's because I'm trying to play League of Legends at the same time. Sorry Xahl.

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That's not what I meant at all. I meant I shouldn't have to rely on third party apps to get it to do what I want in the first place. I've still to see a reasonable rationale for not having the ability to decide whether you want to boot to desktop, or Metro. Clearly there's a need for it, as Stardcock have released an app for it. Why are MS forcing me to do something I don't want to do?

I have a tablet or touch screen laptop, then I decide to boot into Metro. I have a desktop, then I may prefer to boot into the desktop. Wouldn't it just make sense to have that as an option?

Anyway... it's lack of performance that bothers me. Sure.. things may improve.. but I'll just wait until they do.

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You have to manually open a program either way so it becomes functionally irrelevant whether you boot to desktop and click on a pinned taskbar program or boot to the start screen and click on the tile.

If I didn't use a third party start menu I would boot to the start screen, it makes more sense that way.

Tags: Add Tags