1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Worthy headphone upgrade for £300?

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 1 Nov 2012.

1. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Have you looked at either the Little Dot I for £97 or the Little Dot MK II for a little more £113?

They both have been well received over on Head-fi and are to the best of my knowledge some of the better tube amps coming out of China for that price. That particular seller is also known to be very good as well.

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Awesome! I remember hearing a little about the both of them at some point.

What I was looking at was this.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190721696228?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    This amp comes out of Australia and has been well received for build quality and price. It's a good toss up now. Thanks. :)

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

So how are the headphones Apocalypso?

Still haven't had an email saying mine have been dispatched :(

4. Apocalypso

They email to the account address, if there's no account and you just ordered without creating one or logging in then it seems you need to give them a quick call.

So far I prefer the dt990 by a country mile, the brightness of the dt880 sets my teeth on edge whereas the extended bass of the 990 is absolutely lovely and syrupy. I love it.

One thing I've always heard is that the dt880 is meant to a very revealing can and I can attest to this, it feels like everything is all up top and there's no bottom end, an upside triangle has been used in the past. I'm quite happy to use it again.

I'm still waiting on a new amp but my opinion is already is already not positive so I've put the 880 up on ebay, it's just too harsh.

I need to silence my pc.

And my wife.

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Never get a srh940 then. Amazingly revealing can, but no bottom end at all.

6. GeorgeStorm

I contacted them via the site, but didn't get a reply all afternoon (want to avoid the phone since I hate talking to sales people on the phone :p)

Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow.

Haha, fair enough, not making me feel confident about my dt880s :p Only time will tell I guess.

Buying these headphones has made me tempted to upgrade my dac/amp...

What you getting?

7. Apocalypso

Owned and sold my friend to be replaced with the Beyers I have at the moment. The annoying thing is I downgraded from a pair of Senn HD650's because they were open-backed and too dark.

I was a fool to part with them.

8. Apocalypso

I dropped them an email on support@iheadphones.co.uk, I originally spoke to a lady called Hazel who was very helpful.

It's worth bearing in mind that what I like you may not, I like a detailed can but I also like a little bass now and again. The dt880 may have been able to supply that with a different amp but I already have that in the dt990 right now.

I'm waiting on a Matrix M-Stage which should be here soon.

Obligatory Head-Fi review.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2012
  9. GeorgeStorm

I'll leave it till tomorrow morning, and if I don't get an early reply I'll email again saying I've now set up an account etc (although I'm sure I clicked the create account button when ordering but never mind)

Haha yeah I know, was only messing :p
    So you adding that to your setup or is it replacing something? (the compass is a DAC/AMP combo?)

10. Apocalypso

Fingers crossed mate, hopefully everything is already in the post and it was the weekend post that was slow and nothing untoward.

The Compass has got a "super" mode where you can bypass the amp section and output straight from the DAC, I've got it connected to my speakers currently but they're not really making the most of it.

Upgrading my speakers is a little lower on my list of priorities at the moment. Hopefully.

11. GeorgeStorm

Yeah I'm hoping the same.

How do the 990s compare to your 770s?

12. Apocalypso

Don't say night and day, Don't say night and day, Don't say night and day...

They're different. Deeper bass, clearer treble, mids are more pronounced. Being open they have a much wider sound stage, the airiness and lightness is really refreshing. Even with the deep bass, the treble doesn't feel over exaggerated and shrill in comparison.

Female vocals on busy tracks by Electrelane are still clear and full of the delicate vulnerability, same with Regina Spectre I ran through a load of female vocalists and they all sound great. The DT770s mids by comparison sounded recessed and a little anemic.

Listening to Nick Cave & Warren Ellis' The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (to give it it's full title), the detail in the piano on the opening song and the violin is so much richer and alive it's remarkable. The xylophone at the opening of track three is shiny and sparkly and almost effervescent. The tempo of the album is quite slow so often notes are played quite widely spaced so you can pick out and distinguish fairly easily if there are any differences in sound. It's a great album too.

I've left it on random playing from my lossless library and other than some Smashing Pumpkins that I thought was really rather muddy, but then that's the Smashing Pumpkins, everything is improved over the dt770, I can't wait for this amp to see what it can really do.

My only major problem and it is a major one, is that my listening environment is still not quiet enough. I can hear my pc grumbling away next to me and the mrs watching tv at the other end of the room. I live in a Victorian terrace where the downstairs rooms have been knocked in to one open room about 20/25 feet long.

Curses to open plan living.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  13. GeorgeStorm

Haha, sounds like night and day to me :p

I was put off them by a headfi review:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/526839/dt880-vs-dt990-comparison-review

I'm sure I'll be happy either way, only time will tell.
    Got an email from iheadphones today asking me to confirm my delivery address so they could look into it for me. (I'd quoted my order number in the email, so they should have been able to find out what's wrong already...)

Hoping for a miscommunication and they're on their way :D

14. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Seconded- sort of. The HE-6's need a very beefy amp to run. I do happen to have an amp that runs HE-6's without any issue (6 watt @ 32 ohm output) but I opted for the HE-500's mostly due to the higher costs associated with the HE-6.

So a vote for the HE-500's here, with the HE-6's as a secondary opinion. Not really keen on the Aduze LCD-3's- they're very pricey and seem to come as a bit of a surprise after the LCD-2 V2's came out. Not exactly sure the LCD-3's are worth the extra money vs. the LCD-2 V2's if you prefer their sound signature. They are a beautiful pair of headphones- I must say.

But I've had my HE-500's for over a year now and will be getting ready to swap out the tubes on my amp for something more interesting before the end of the year.

Once you go planar-magnetic - you never want to go back. Having gone through the Sennheiser family of headphones (owning several models up to the HD-650's) the difference is palpable with the HiFiMans.

15. Apocalypso

Have they taken money from you yet?

Yeah I was concerned by that review as well but when you have long time contributors like Skylab chiming and calling out the OP I was fairly happy I hadn't ordered a turkey.

16. Apocalypso

Such a shame Head-fi don't do any UK meets, it's about the only chance I'm going to get to listen to any of these cans.

17. GeorgeStorm

Yup, money left my paypal at 2:10 (am) on Thursday.

Got a response, apparently the sr225is are awaiting stock....
    I swear they were in stock on the site, and there's no mention of them being out of stock on any email I received, not particularly happy.
    Replied asking when stock is in etc, since the grados are the pair I'm really curious about.

Might ask if I can get the 325is at the discount price instead :p

18. Apocalypso

Pfft, that's pretty poor. They obviously missed your order and then oversold the 225is. I would push them on the 325i, you have absolutely nothing to lose.

19. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Indeed. I haven't seen anything on Head-Fi for awhile for the UK, and it's usually London which is a problem for me as I'm in Edinburgh.

If you're ever around though... you can always have a listen to my HE-500's with a Schiit Lyr. Currently using JJ E88CC's but hoping to snag some Telefunken or Mullards 'soon'. Sourced from my PC (FLAC) over RCA using an Asus Xonar Essence STX [really can't find a reason to spend money on a stand-alone DAC when they use worse hardware than the TI DAC on the Asus].

20. GeorgeStorm

I asked them when they would be back in stock etc
    Then I got an email saying my order had been dispatched, without the grados and I'd be refunded??

Emailed them saying I thought I had the choice to wait, and whether it was possible to get another product instead.

Amazing offer, but the customer service hasn't matched it so far :/

Also I'd be interested in a meetup of some kind :D