1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals PC Speaker advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fdbh96, 16 Nov 2012.

1. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm looking for a new set of speakers to replace my cheapo set I got when I first got my pc :)

The main uses of my speakers are gaming, along with the occasional bit of music/movie.

So far I like the look of:

Creative t20's (series 2)

Creative t40's (series 2)

However, Im not sure if the t40s are worth the extra over the t20s, or are there any better 2.0 sets out there for around the same price.

And lastly, as they will mainly be used for gaming, should I be looking at a 2.1 set, and does anyone have any recommendations, as I can't seem to find any good reviews of 2.1 speakers?

2. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Definately not that much :), the t20s are £50 and the t40s are £80 around that range if possible. I could probably stretch up to £100 for a 2.1 set but only if they would make a big difference over the £50 t20s

4. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I have the T40 I use them for the media centre pc for films

they're epic I have to say they are well worth the money.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

6. narwen

narwen narwen

i have never heard a bad bose speaker.

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

With bose you are usually paying for the brand too, just bear that in mind.

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Bose speakers are not good. They often have good lows but the mids and highs are terrible.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Has anyone tried the noise cancelling headphones?
    They sound great for on a plane/travelling :)

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I've tried closed back headphones, they block out noise by sealing in your ears. They aren't active noise cancelling like the Asus Vulcan for example though. You just can't hear anything around you other than what your headphones are playing

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Its just that I think im giving up on getting a pair of speakers and might get new headphones instead, so Im looking at the bose quietcomfort 15s. My budgets higher for headphones because I use them a lot more, and all the cheap headphones Ive tried are just really uncomfortable.

12. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Going the headphone route definitely gives you a much better sound quality for the same amount of money. I can personally vouch for anything made by Sennheiser, I just love the sound signature they have, and they're ridiculously comfortable. You might wanna look at HD 518 or 558 if closed-backedness isn't requirement, maybe 598/600/650 if you're willing to hunt for a second-hand pair. It's worth to keep in mind audiophiles are known to treat their gear with delicacy so even used stuff is usually in pretty pristine condition.

Also, most audiophiles will tell you to stay as far away as possible from anything which has the word bose imprinted on it. it's more like a swearword.

13. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Sorry to go off topic from the OP. But I have a question about your SP2500's.

What sort of music and stuff do you listen to? Anything bass heavy or metal music? If so, do they sound anywhere near like they're worth £180?
    Thanks.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If I was to get headphones for my PC it I would prioritise wireless as a feature. But thats just me. I know I would end up walking off somewhere with the headphones still attached. Or have the wire constantly annoying me.

As was said earlier bose stuff is expensive. You are paying for the brand no question. I would recommend doing a search for other products with similar noise cancelling features. I have a set of able planet noise cancelling which were acquired for me at a very cheap price through a groupon thingy.

15. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Very true, just want to point out that the reason they stay away from Bose is not because it is inherently bad quality stuff, but because it is overpriced for what it actually is. Basically a £200 Sennheiser model will usually be a lot more bang for your buck than £200 Bose headphones

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I should probably point out that Im not that clued up on headphones, so bose, sennheiser, sony and beats are the only brands I really know.

The most important thing in a pair of headphones is that they are comfortable. Im not that bothered about sound quality, and noise cancellation is merely a plus point for the bose's, which are meant to be really comfortable, whether or not this is true I don't know, as I haven't had a chance to try a pair on yet.

If anyone could recommend any really comfy headphones that would be great, although they can't be too big as I often use headphones when travelling, so huge headphones are a bit impractical.

17. HarryCarrie

HarryCarrie What's a Dremel?

I have owned a set of T20's for a few years now and I think they offer excellent sound for the money. I listened to the T40's too, which are better, but it's touch and go whether they are worth the extra cash imo. I listened to some 2.1 sets at the time too and found that in that price range the bass was over extended and sound quality in mid to high range was not as precise as the T20 or T40, which offer pretty good bass for 2.0 anyway. Depends how you like your sound though I guess. As far as headphones go, I like my Asus Vulcan ANC's, but if you just want headphones rather than a headset you can get better quality sound for similar money.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

If you want decent headphones/ earplug style

Shure 235s I think is the full name retail for below £80

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Really comfy?

If you want closed back then the Beyerdynamic DT770 are very comfy but they are large. The Audio Technika A900 are the most comfy headphones ever according to some, but again they are massive.

The Bose you linked are smaller. The ATH-M50 from Audio Technika are the right size but not especially comfy.

20. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The comfiest medium size headphones I've ever worn are probably the B&W P5, Bose QC15 and the KRK KNS 8400. The KRK has the best sound quality of the bunch by a league and is only £129.