1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards X79 sabertooth memory problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jay88018, 28 Sep 2012.

1. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

Hi, been trying to compete my new pc build, but have run into a problem, no memory works in the 1st 2 slots on my motherboard ( the A1 and A2 slots ). I know it sounds stupid, as i have all 32gb working, but its only in dual channel mode, its the point of havin paid for quad channel memory and a motherboard, and not bein able to use it. I only bought the motherboard 3 weeks ago, so dont really fancy havin to strip it down and send it back, is there a software update for the bios that could fix this, or is this a RMA case ??

Ps i checked the memory strips in all the other slots and its workin fine in the other 6 slots.

i7 3820, 32gb (4x8gb) corsair 1600 mhz vengence, 680gtx, windows pro 64 bit, ocz 1250w, xonar dx, 128gb m4 ssd, 2tb barracuda. Thats the basic system specs, everything else seems to be runnin fine, did some benchmarks before when i was only runnin 24gb, got P10391/X3727 on 3dmark11 with a little oc'ing, so it should be a good gaming machine, its just 1 of them things, i know its not perfect, so it annoys me :( Any advice gratefully received :)

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I dont know that much about x79. But in principle. if you have tested each stick is working fine, the bios is up to date, and you have had a look around the bios menu options then i dont think it can be much more than the mobo itself.

My friend had an MSI big bang x79 mobo with exactly the same problem from new, and he had to send the mobo back for a replacement.

3. RocketPotato

RocketPotato What's a Dremel?

Update you BIOS and clear the CMOS. Let us know how you get on.

4. Jay88018

I had decided to live with the 2 failed slots, until this morning. After booting up, windows kept freezing and kept getting BSOD, along with messages regarding memory. To Rocketpotato, yeah, got the latest bios from Asus ( installed it after you had suggested it ) so i just reset the bios, and restarted - kept crashing ( even just playing a video on youtube ffs ), then on 1 boot up i notice the bios only said 16gb of memory.....so, 1 by 1, I tested every strip, they all are working, but iv now got 5 memory slots not working, so i cant use 1 of my strips. Messaged Asus to get an address and a RMA number, just going to send it back. Thanks for the advice.

5. Jay88018

Asus finally got back to me, they will take the board to be fixed....but not only do i have to pay for the postage to send it, but also pay £15 for the cost of them sending it back to me !! i find this terrible service, Scan pick up faulty items from you, never once have i ever heard of someone being charge to get something sent back to them because they had to send it for repair. This be my last ASUS product i ever buy.

6. RocketPotato

RocketPotato What's a Dremel?

Why do you not just return it to the shop which you purchased it from?

7. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

They actually have no legal requirement to fix it. Your contract was with your original supplier, you should be able to get either a replacement or full refund from the supplier (if they refer you to ASUS, you should inform them its actually their problem, i'm sure either myself or another member of the forums can give you the relevant legal details. I would but my statute book has been left at the office). As an aside note the supplier can't charge you for providing a replacement or a refund (i'm going to hastily add a generally here).