1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You powered the pc down before connect ps/2 keyboard right? Sorry to ask but it's surprising how many people forget this when used to usb devices.
    Also many Asus motherboard owner have report problem using IBM keyboard on ps/2. They are power hungry keyboard and seem Asus don't provide enough juice for them over the ps/2 connection.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That blank orange ISO enter is sweet... I now realise what my blank orange 2.75 Shift is all about! I may be interested fuus. I have a one of those media keys (play) if you are interested in a trade. ;)

3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I have no interest in media keys Lenny :p and Margo did ask first!

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

No probs - I only asked because Margo did say to scrap it ;)

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

yeah no im out on the orange enter, i not got the caps i thought I had when I looked in the cap box.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The ISO enter is pretty cool. Too bad I hate ISO. :p

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

comeagain? :lol:

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

even worse ! I plugged it in the usb port :p

I wouldn't mind switching to ps2 but... if there is one flaw that I found so far, it's that the cable is extremely short. I think i just have to use my usb extension cable :(

also, being 87 keys, there's no slash (canadian multilingual). Mmmmm. That's annoying

9. IvanIvanovich

Oh, I was talking to el2k.

knuck, maybe you could try US Intl keymap instead if you got ANSI keyboard, I think CD layout is assuming ISO so you are missing a key physically on ANSI keyboard.

10. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

About to buy the first mechanical keyboard and have narrowed it down to the following features:

Ten keyless (don't have room for a big keyboard and I can't remember the last time I used a numpad)

Mx brown switches (meant to be a balance between gaming and typing?)

With that in mind should I go for this or wait until it is available and go for this. Do you have any other suggestions and does anyone have the coolermaster quickfire rapid who can give feedback.

Thanks and sorry for ruining the keycap conversation :)

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

but i need é è à and ï since I type in french all the time. I really need the slash, though. Mmmmmm ...

12. el2k

el2k Modder

I did indeed, have tried a few times.

Are there any setting in bios at all to do with PS/2 or anything?

If it is the fact that my motherboard doesn't give enough power to PS/2 then that really sucks.
    Sadly only 2 PC's in this house and both use Asus mobos.

Shall have to wait until I go to a friends to test on another computer....

I do also have the G80-1000 coming in the post later this week, this is also DIN, will it require the same amount of power? Therefore rendering it useless with my mobo aswell?

Having to buy a new mobo to keep up with my keyboard needs would be kinda annoying, but I'd be willing to do it :D

Thanks for any info

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

There's nothing like a new board - I'd go for the Quickfire Rapid (the one in stock) - the OEM is the same as Filco which means that the quality is the same (very high) but for a lower price! A few here either have that or had it in the past - they're highly recommended!

14. IvanIvanovich

knuck US Intl has all needed for French, which is why I guessed you were using CD multi. They are just a bit different keymap, and US Intl use dead key for some accent charachter so it might take a bit of getting used to but might be more suitable in long run on ANSI board.
    I even had some keycap set made up for US Intl, you can see what it offer...
    [​IMG]

el2k, I don't know about that motherboard but I just remember some people talking about that problems with IBM M on GH some time ago and they all had asus so they made such a conclusion. If you find it works on other system maybe you should look for one of those SDL cable with active usb adapter built in, some seller had them on ebay. The G80 should work fine.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013
  15. el2k

el2k Modder

Thanks mate, I was google searching after my last post and the only info I could find was those GH posts where they were using various different Asus boards and no luck with getting their model M's to work once in Windows.

And.. THESE?

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just tried it and it's no good. It only has one of the accents that I need and about a third of the special characters french multilingual has. I want to download the keyboard layout editor from microsoft but I'm downloading at less than 1KB right now... I don't know what's going on

I also made the switch to chrome recently and I noticed I can't press ctrl+B to type in bold or use any other board related shorcuts. This is annoying

edit: WAIT A MINUTE

I just switched back to canadian multilingual ...and... the key next to "1" now makes a slash (and a backslash with shift). WTF. K I really need to plug my blackwidow back in because I'm super confused right now. I don't think any of my keyboards ever did this

oh well :D :rock:

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. IvanIvanovich

That was what I was explain about dead key, so in US Intl to get è for example you would have to type ` then e and it combines it. It uses these trick instead of having a key for every possible thing.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

that's what french canadian keyboard does. There is a single key for é è à on the canadian multilingual layout however.

As for the slash... I really don't get it. It used to do a different character and now it does exactly what I need. The razer does it , too. Weird :hehe:

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I also had the same problem after dismantling one of my blues. Couldn't see anything out of place with the loop or contact though.