1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Joe Says Goodbye to Bit-tech

Discussion in 'General' started by CardJoe, 23 Jan 2013.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

As long as #wordsjoeknows still happens on twitter then that's all that matters.

Good luck with the future Joe.

2. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

You gave Chime 10/10 so you must be a decent guy. Good luck in the future.

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Good Luck with your future endevours Joe. Am now following you on twitter.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ciao bella

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

It's 'Ciao bello', he is a male....or is he ?

6. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

As someone who still thinks of Joe as the new guy, this is a shock. Good luck and all the best Joe, hope you do well in all your future efforts. You're going to be missed.

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Good luck, enjoy the cheesecake, and if you ever want harsh brutal criticism our doors are always open :D

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Oh, man. Responses. Thanks for the kind words all.

The ethics debate stuff was bothersome - and I was one of the people who bought it up and raised the issue, actually. I'd be lying is I said he toxicity and terrible defences that came about afterwards didn't make me re-assess things.

I feel like I try to do proper journalism; checking sources, taking and giving feedback and trying to oppose bad things. The ethics debate made it clear that a lot of people were being consciously lazy and getting away with it. I spent six months combing through academic journals, chasing leads, paying fees and working with my editor for this article, for example. Yet, others were copy-pasting transparently false rumours for more money, less effort and greater access within the industry.

There's some good stuff out there still, but **** games journalism, generally.

Nope! Though I did see Bindi the other day for the first time in ages and was tempted to try and leverage an offer... :naughty:

Love you too!

Don't worry. My incessant tweeting is a force of nature. I've actually been to press events before where people have known me for #JoesLunch rather than Bit-tech or Custom PC.

The joystick is a bit of a giveaway, if you know what I mean.

Thanks. Even after five or six years here I still think of myself as the new guy too. Harry meanwhile is like the work experience kid. Matt is his cooler, younger brother.

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Joe who?

pffhahahaha, I'm just kiddin'

Good luck in your new job

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Really enjoyed your articles and reviews. Always loved getting an honest and hands on take on games, something that's increasingly hard to find in professional journalism. Good luck with your future work!

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Good luck in your future endeavours Joe.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Absolute best of luck Joe, I can safely say you've been a rock of games reviews these past few years, you will be missed...

13. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Whatever you're ending up doing. Do it and be good at it. Farewell to one of the best, and fairest, most correct games journo's I've read.

14. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

The best to you in the future, Joe. Don't be a stranger or is it don't get any stranger? ;)

15. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Good luck on your endeavors Joe, I've enjoyed your reviews over the years and bought quite a few games based on your recommendations. Shame you couldn't take me up on that PS3 debugging station.

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Sorry to see you go. You've been a breath of honest air in the games review world.

17. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Since you started around the time I was getting into games and bit-tech I always feel like I've sort of grown up with you joe!

I'll miss your honesty and your ability to take writing about games to a different place than most. Its been clear you haven't been entirely happy in the job for a while now though.

Unfortunately another chip off the ever decreasing bit-tech block, wish you all the luck possible and I hope you find your happy place.
    Cromps

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Good Luck, Joe.

Even when my gaming virtually stopped, I looked to your reviews more than anywhere else for guidance.
    It's been a great run (and for the record: you were dead on in the MW3 vs BF3 discussion we had back then - now that I have played both).

19. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

*sniff* I'm so bad at goodbyes. Although we never spoke you always gave the games I like good reviews. Or was it the other way around?

20. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Good luck Joe.

I hope you keep your podcast going, it's brilliant!