1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Homeplug home network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by decebal_12000, 14 Feb 2013.

1. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

I want to connect all my pc`s wired but I try to avoid all the fuss of the cables. I was thinking of homeplug adapters. How good are they?Are they worth the money?

What brand do you recommend? Apparently the Solowise has good reviews. Anything else?

Thank you!!

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I use Devolo dlan 500 AVTriple+. I'm very happy with them.

Data transfer is close to advertised when plugs are near and still very good at opposite ends of my house. Never have to reset them, and very easy to add more plugs at a later date.

Down side = pricey.

3. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have been using some TP-Link 300mbps Homeplugs for over a year now.

Great usage and reliability.

One problem of sorts. Whilst I am using them on one ring main, they are also plugged into two different socket extensions. This has reduced my overall connection speed by 50%. So even during none peak times I only receive 30-40meg connection speed instead of the 60meg.

4. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

I saw that but as long as they are reliable and secure I do not mind to invest in something which will last me longer.

5. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

So if you plug them in an extension lead you loose some of the speed? Hmm, I wouldn`t worry about that as my internet speed doesn`t exceed 6Mbit/s so I am more concerned about my internal network as I try to transfer files through my wireless network and my maximum speed I can get is 2MB/s which is very slow in comparison with 10MB/s.

6. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

What about Billion? Are they any good?

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

3 x 200 tplink here, I only get about 4mb through the router on a good day so very happy with em.

8. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

Is that the internet speed or your internal network?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Purely depends on Internet connection you have access to and if you play online games.

If you play online games you will suffer a 20-30ms ping penalty in most cases this Irelivent in an FPS game its not great.

Hard wired LAN I get 10-15ms ping using homeplugs 45-55ms. More interference I think as it gets worse if people are cooking or microwave on. Router is in the kitchen that's where our main phone socket is.

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I only lose 3ms ping through my Devolos. Upstairs in my man cave, I get 22ms ping, whilst at the router 19ms. That's because I'm on the same ring main though and it sounds like you may not be to get such a hike in lag.

If you span rings, you'll lose speed and gain latency. Careful testing which plugs you use when you install will ensure best speeds/latency.

11. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

Lucky me. My main phone socket is in on the corridor far away from the microwave. Anyway my microwave is not used too much in my house so i wouldn`t be worried about that but I want something to be reliable for my home network.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

They are EXCELLENT. I use 4x TP Link 200Mbps and 2xPowerOn 200mbps (or something like that).

I get between 4-6mpbs throughput on them, and I have it connected to a powerboard.

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Not used homeplugs personally, I got as far as finding out that ping times are about 10ms more on average than pure ethernet/normal wired extension and that was the end of my research :D

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

2*500mb TP-Link, not had any issues with them, Managed to stream HD content over them without problem.

Sam

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

before you go all out and buy loads, just buy a pair to test first, take one of the pair around to each location you are going to want them in, and test

for some people, they just don't work

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You need better homeplugs or go into software and set them high priority, I get ~1ms on my zxyel. I experience no interference, ping only rises when loading the network (large NAS transfers etc but same would happen if wired.

My old Netgear 200s had higher latency with the odd random 1000ms spike due to interference etc, new ones on same wiring cleared that up.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I found they were about 50ms less than my wifi, so that was the end of my research :)

Without rewiring my house with CAT5, or moving telephone points, homeplugs are the answer.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just thought I'd run a quick test of my pings again from same computer to router across house up the stairs etc.

Ran three times on each ZyXel PLA42x5 500Mb vs Wifi N results came out much the same.

[​IMG]

Homeplugs are for me quicker and have more reliable latency.

As mentioned though they don't work for everyone, they are worth the dough in my opinion.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2013
  19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Oh of course they are almost always better than wireless no doubt about it, if a broadband/telephone line extension or ethernet is out of the question then there really isn't a better option.

But if seeking to replace an ethernet connection or rid yourself of an extension then in terms of raw ping time it isn't foolproof.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

We were redecorating anyway so carpets where already up easy enough to lay the cat cables when that happened for us.

Our wiring is so old would not really be surprised if its just the dodgy wiring. ( house is at least 60 years old )