1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Where to get a hands on DSLR cameras/Recommend me one

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by sotu1, 5 Mar 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

I'm just about ready to invest in a DSLR, but with the closure of Jessops I don't know where to go to get a hands on and see which one I might like. I'm based in London, any suggestions?

Also, any recommendations on a beginner cam? I was thinking the Nikon D3100/3200 but also curious to learn what I'll need to plan for the future

Thanks!

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Go John Lewis, their sales staff are some of the best ive come across.

Also depends what camera your looking for and what you intend to do with it? also a price range would be good.

Im a personal fan of Nikon but many more people would stick too Cannon. Eirther one of those brands are the best.

Also take a look into the interchangable lens cameras (e.g. Sony NEX series or Olympus PEN series) as they are very good and offer similar performace to the lowend DSLR's

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Try London Camera Exchange?
    http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Branch/?Branch=London (Strand)

D3100 is a great beginner's camera. Remember you are investing into a camera system, not just a camera. Nikon entry levels can't auto-focus using older lenses, which may be a problem down the line when you try to pick up old lenses. Having said that, most lenses since 2000 should work on entry level Nikons.

You could also consider Canon 550D or 600D which is similar to D3100, except all EF lenses work with all EF bodies, so any lens back to 1987 will be fully compatible with your camera.

Have a feel, see which camera feels the best in your hand, which control scheme you prefer. Nikons are hold to change dial function, Canons are toggle. (eg, to change ISO, you hold a button and then spin a dial on Nikon; you press a button then spin a dial on Canon)

Also, DSLR isn't necessaries the right answer. Unless you plan to invest into photography as a hobby, often a high end compact or may be mirrorless (aka interchangable lens cameras) would be better suited.

4. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

The cheapest best entry level SLR is the D3100

Couldn't you order online?

if so you might be able to bag a D3100 with kit lens for £329 and get a free 3 year warranty
    from here (take no notice of the banner saying the offer is out of date because it isn't I just spoke to them myself) I would contact them and see.

They don't have stores in your area but they do have a really good rep

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

There's a lot to recommend an older camera such as the D90. It CAN use older lenses as it has a motor built in, it has TWO command dials that more closely mirrors a high end Nikon and is much more intuitive when practising manually, or using aperture priority (which you should do at some point), and you can pick them up quite cheaply now.

If you are going for a new camera and not used though, the D3100/3200 are superb, but have the stupid one command dial interface... which is irritating when trying to take manual control.

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Yeah, so I have a tiny bit of experience in photography before but am ready to jump in with manual.

Reason I want a hands on is because much of the gear is on par, but it's like a car, it's the handling of a car, not just the 0-60, that often makes or breaks a deal.

And how good the bald fat salesman is.

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Are you planning on shooting video on it?

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Yes, but not professional level video. Just family party videos etc

Main use is for creating stunning shots

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I wouldn't go for the D90, its video is not nearly as good I'm afraid.

The D3100 and D3200 both have constant autofocus on their video which makes them a good bet for video. So does the D5100 if you want to stretch.

The D5000 does have HD video but only autofocus's as you start the video, you're on your own after that.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Agreed.. D90 has terrible video if that's important to you.

D3200 for me then... despite it's utterly crap manual control.

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Say I got £400 budget, give or take. What's a good buy, considering the extra I need to splurge on, memory cards, batteries etc etc

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Take a look at Asda.:thumb:
    (Camera, 8GB card & case.)

sotu1 likes this.
  13. matt...

matt... Slacker

I've been very happy with a Panasonic Lumix GF3. I've found it incredibly portable and the lenses are the same as its bigger brother G3... (both of these have now been updated to the 5 version [there was no 4] so you may be able to get a good deal if you don't mind slightly older tech..)

I bought mine from here: http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/ and got great service but I think Dixons often has a good selection of cameras (although I only seem to go to Dixons at the airport..)

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

really good link mate, thanks!

I think I'm going to settle for a Nikon 3200... I am totally at the entry level and this will be my first real upgrade from a point n shoot. All the press seems to suggest it's for newbs like me.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

gah bollocks that kit is sold out!

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Same camera is £410 at Currys/PCWorld, but without card & case.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

It was an additional 10% off at Asda, so got the camera kit, mem card and case for £398 delivered. Also came back in stock and just got ordered! Now I need some inspiration and to start shooting...

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

If I may add, there's a fair degree of complexity here on the Nikon side of things.

• Entry level Nikon DSLRs (3000 and 5000 series) are only fully compatible with modern AF-S lenses, which tend to be good but more expensive.
    • Higher level Nikon DSLRs (7000 series on up) are fully compatible with all Nikon lenses from AI (1977) onwards, though obviously manual focus lenses require manual focussing!

Basically, there's an advantage to the more expensive models as you get amazing backward compatibility. There are tons of really awesome manual focus lenses around for very little money, relatively speaking, so unless you need autofocus for some specific reason you can get a bargain. Obviously that's only relevant if you get a D7000 or higher model. The 7000 price has dropped recently due to the 7100 release.

I can only speak for the Nikon cameras I've used, but this tends to be customisable. On the D7000/700/800 etc you can change to toggle mode, reverse dial direction and sensitivity etc etc. Don't know if this applies to 3000/5000 level models or to Canon, though I expect Canon's enthusiast-grade stuff is similar.

Along this line the Fuji cameras are lovely to use, the viewfinder being electronic doesn't seem so jarring compared to the tiny, dark viewfinders on most entry level DSLRs. A DSLR is still essential for a lot of what I do, but I see no reason other photographers couldn't make use of a mirrorless system instead, especially at the low end of the market.

19. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Thanks for feedback, but order has already left the warehouse! I think I'll be ok with the camera. I think long term should I want to really invest in something a lot deeper as a real hobby then I may pick up another camera and pass on my current camera to someone else.

Appreciate the thoughts though

20. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

The fuji's are amongst the best mirrorless cameras from what I have read, however alot of reviews also say they are not for beginners.

The D3100 and D3200 are a good choice.

Just for interest, for compatibility (And I am a Nkon lover) Pentax has the best compatibility with old lenses with official support (including metering and cheap genuine adapters) for their M42 lenses on all digital bodies :p