1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other CLOSED - Minecraft: YogCraft Server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Byron C, 9 Jul 2012.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's not forgotten as far as I'm concerned; I just haven't been on in a few days...

And I'd never heard of construction foam; looks pretty handy...

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Whats the world name? :p

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, that'd help... It's just plain old "world"; the PvP world is... "pvp"...

Creative to the last... :)

4. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Bah am i missing something?

I have the technic launcher, pick to launch Tekkit gets the various mods etc, yet when i join the CPC one im apparentley still missing some mods, i have no idea how to add more as i assume the technic launcher keeps me updated.

:S

Im at work but some quick advice woudl be handy :)

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ah yes; for some daft reason they haven't yet made the latest tekkit version the default one yet. When you load the technic launcher and select tekkit classic, click the options button and instead of using the latest recommended release use the very latest version; it's version 3.1.3 (the launcher defaults to 3.1.2, I think).

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I thought that were meant to do that months ago!

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm not sure if 3.1.3 has been made the "recommended" build yet... Just had a look at the tekkit homepage, and it seems not.

8. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I've built my own "Tekkit-Lite-FTB" Hybrid modpack for my friends and family.

All of Tekkit Lite 0.5.7 +
    Thaumcraft 3
    Forestry + thaumic Bees + Extra Bees
    ExtraBiomesXL
    Fully updated Buildcraft/Redpower/Railcraft/IC2
    Mo Creatures (minus the pansy pink creatures)

It's playing pretty well, and the aditional content is sure as heck interesting!

The LP's from the mindcrack server were my driving influences to do this.

We'd started a small world in Tekkit Lite on release day and have gradually added this stuff in.
    Thaumcraft has a brilliant "Chunk Regen" feature that keeps your structures et al intact but regenerates the aura nodes/trees/ores

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well, I think this has been on the cards for a while now.

I'm going to discontinue this server. The only people really playing with any kind of regularity are me, lp rob1 and bloody_pete, and in the last 30 days you could count the number of players logging on with one hand; Pete's even selling up his PC... I'll of course backup the entire server and make the world file available to all who want it; there's plenty of stuff I wouldn't want to lose on there myself (that damned castle/house took ages).

I know I haven't been very active myself, but if I'm totally honest I've been going off Tekkit for a while. It's so far behind the latest version of Vanilla that it's not even funny, and there are plenty of other modpacks out there; including ones that offer the parts of Tekkit that I like (RedPower, IndustrialCraft, RailCraft, few others) and don't include the things I don't like (Equivalent Exchange, BuildCraft). I've even been playing Vanilla a quite a bit recently...

I'm quite happy to give another modpack a shot instead of Tekkit (Voltz and FTB look quite interesting), but if there's a similarly low level of interest then we're just going to end up with hardly any players again. I'd also be quite happy with a vanilla server (it'd certainly easier for the server to handle), but the only advantage to that over the other MC server(s) here is that I can configure it however I want... If anyone has any other modpack they'd like to try then let me know.

Either way, unless something drastic happens, I'll be taking the Tekkit server offline this time next week.

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Voltz! I agree though, the Tekkit server has been getting very little attention. However, we collectively did so much to it that it would be a waste to scrap the world - keep it somewhere safe, perhaps available for download. For now I want to do a bit of vanilla MC, since modpacks are getting a little tedious and I relish the challenge of going back to the relatively 'limited' vanilla game.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The problem I have is that I've played it all to death now, so playing it for the sake of playing it is boring to me. I need a goal or edge, so something like UBER PVP in Voltz perhaps? The only issue is you need so much raw material to get started (a stack of wool and many stacks of red stone) That it becomes a chore. The machines are more interesting however :)

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I do quite like the look of Voltz, but the only thing I'm really not keen on is red matter. At least antimatter doesn't carry on "exploding", it just makes an epic crater...

Well I wouldn't object to having starter kits with basic materials in them (wool, metals, redstone, etc) just to cut out some of the donkey work.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Red matter is a HUGE amount of effort though! Also, I haven't tested, but force fields maybe immune to it as they'd re-gen at the same rate..

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It is, but it's also hugely destructive!

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I suppose thats the chequered flag though, first to a red matter bomb...

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

True... I'll have a play with forcefields and red matter bombs over the weekend (ordinarily I'd jump on and have a look this evening, but I've got a game of Eclipse scheduled...). You'll almost certainly be building forcefields long before anyone's building red matter bombs/missiles.

If we're going to go with PvP play I'd be keen to keep the server configuration as minimal as possible: no region protection, no chest/machine/item locking, no anti-griefing/cheating, no dynmap, etc; just spawn protection, a few admin plugins maybe (not sure I could cope without WorldEdit!!) and that's it. Unless you hack the client or have ops it's already pretty impossible to obtain "cheat" items like mob eggs/spawners, lava/water sources, so I'm not sure anti-cheating plugins are as necessary as I once thought. Griefing would be an inherent part of a PvP world, I guess...

I'd need to figure out how to give people a "starter kit", but I'd also want to limit those to one per player; there's probably something that can be done with command blocks - using a shop plugin like I do for tekkit probably won't stop people claiming as many starter kits as they want.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Forcefields and red matter explosives don't seem to mix well... Causes major lag on my PC whenever the two come into contact!

Looks like the current host doesn't want to play well with Voltz; however I've already started looking into hosting providers - need more RAM on the server, and preferably something with an SSD...

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That'd make sense as block would constantly being created and destroyed...

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

First of all, I've set up a test server for Voltz; this will be active for another 3 days. The IP/Port is 31.205.82.85:25585 and everyone who has access to the current server is also on the whitelist - everyone is also op, so feel free to change gamemode and mess around with whatever you want. Just make sure you move away from spawn a little if you want to play with explosives :D.

Which leads me rather neatly on to my next point... I'm really not sure about leaving red matter stuff enabled; has the potential to be a real server killer...