Graphics 3 screen Eyefinity with 6970

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dudey109, 31 Mar 2013.

1. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Hey guys, i have a 6970 and 3 screens im looking to try out eyefinity

I have 1 23" IPS screen with HDMI/VGA/DVI

My other 2 screens are 19" the same models with only VGA connections. I haven't used them in a while but working fine.

I tried to connect both the VGA monitors via DVI/VGA adapters only 1 worked but after reading up this wont work since when both are connected to DVI 1 is DVI-D only !bah!

So it seems i need to make use of the mini display port on the card and need an active adapter

[​IMG]

Whats my best option for connecting these screens? i don't really want to spend to much money on it as im just trying it out for now i might buy another 2 23" IPS screens if this goes well :D

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

If I'm not mistaken for eyefinity to work you need at least 1 of the monitors running with the displayport, so you would either require a monitor with displayport OR an active (not passive) adapter to change the displayport to hdmi / dvi, etc. As for using the DVI/VGA adapters, you have to see if the card is DVI and DVI-D, in which case only 1 will work if I'm not mistaken. I know on my 6950 I have HDMI, DVI, DVI-D, and 2 displayport, only way for me to get 3 monitors is 1 running through the displayport, 1 hdmi and the other can use dvi or vga with a dvi to vga adapter. I couldn't run 2 monitors off the 2 dvi connecters.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Yep u need to be using one of the dp sockets :)

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Eyefinity does not support mismatched monitors. To run them, the 23" will have to be set to the same resolution as the 19" monitors, You also will need a Active DP to DVI adaptor to use eyefinity.

Nvidia surround, does not require DP to run. :)

5. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Yea they will be running at the same resolution

I guess i will be using the following setup

23" - HDMI
    19" - DVI-VGA
    19" - MiniDP-VGA (Active)

Looks like this might be the adapter to go for
    LINK

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I would go with DP to DVI on the 23" monitor, and DVI- VGA on the 19" monitor.

That adaptor does not state whether it is a Active adaptor, which is what you need. :)

This one is Active Clicky

7. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

He can only have one Monitor on DVI-> VGA because his card has only one DVI-I connector the other is DVI-D and cannot convert

The adapter you link to is on AMD's Eyefinity list so should be okay

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

That's going to look terrible.

All DisplayPort adapters are active, because DP only carries a DP signal. The adapter that was linked also looks like an active adapter as the "blob" at the VGA end looks like it fits a PCB and a chip inside.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well the picture he linked has 2 DVI-I connectors
    [​IMG]

I agree.

Not every DP to DVI/VGA/HDMI will be an active adaptor. :)

So it's worth checking to make sure it is Active, otherwise, it won't work. :)

10. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Well like i said its just a test to see if i like the idea of gaming on 3 screens.
    I agree it wont look great with different sized screens but Ive seen it done before and isn't THAT bad

[​IMG]

11. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

if your looking for a active adapter, i used to use a HIS one with a 6970 and it worked perfect, i thought amd were working on getting eyefinity to work on different size,res and aspect ratio.
    wish it did work i would love to put 2 4.3 monitors each side of my 27" 1080p 120hz

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

SoftTH allows this.

As that is what I used in my old setup. :)

1x30" in landscape and 2x 20" in portriat mode

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

is the different res issue only if you want to stretch over the 3 screens?

i want a 3 screen setup, but each monitor to be "individual". its wont be for gaming either just work. but i have 1 x 22" 16:9 and 2 x 17" 4:3's, would this be OK?

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Only for Eyefinity or NV surround. If your just doing work, then you can have a mix of different displays in either Portrait/Landscape. All you have to do is Expand desktop to the new displays. :)

15. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

Cool, i thought so, but i paniced when i saw this thread, as i am just about to buy an Eyefinity card at the end of this week.