1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jrs77, 16 Jun 2013.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Funny you say Morrowind hehe. Great game. STILL playing it.

BTW graphics are now better than base Skyrim. Or close to base Skyrim. Thanks to Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 - its a exe mod installation pack that installs and configures all required mods FOR you. No need to do any managing with WyreMash etc. And it looks AMAZING!!!

If you don't believe check my screenshots: (erm it appears they have gne missing... :( )

Check out their youtube vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IJn8GrdYw
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d69wYi3_LWo

Link to their blog site: http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

With the latest patch they've made a lot of changes to moon mining. Goons started a huge new war just because of it. Added navy battlecruisers. Got rid of battleship and in general ship tiers.

But yeh not that easy for smaller groups to grab access to it. But I guess it was never really designed that way to be honest.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2013
  2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Here to recommend Skyrim.

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

You're being pretty fussy about your game choice. It's an enormous setback to back aside choices because they need managing, or because they don't have a class system. The Witcher is enjoyable because of the great story, not because of the customisation. It's a game where the story is based upon the main character Geralt. The Elder Scrolls because of the rich, rich lore and amazing role play element. Also, the combat and storylines tend to be incredible.

Also. Modding isn't always about managing. A couple of mods together will work fine. The only reason i have to spend a lot of time managing my mods is because i have hundreds. Literally of hundreds of mods across Fallout 3, New vegas, morrowind, oblivion and Skyrim. The Witcher has a few mods too. The Greatest thing about being a PC gamer is about that ability to customise and control the way you want to play. Pushing modding aside does lose you such a fantastic and integral part of what PC gaming gives us solely; the ability to change and customise our systems and games.

Also. Dark Souls. It's tough as nails and the PC port is flawed; but it a solid and a must play RPG. It is massively customisable. A choice of classes and hundreds of weapons and armor pieces. There is no 'Right' way to build your character either.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2013
  4. Darkwisdom

I think you're barking up the wrong tree then. Go and find some free to play MMOs until you find one that you like.

5. Darkwisdom

I think i've found one that is just your sort of thing. Ever heard of WarFrame? It's free to play and you can find it on Steam. It's a third person shooter much like Mass Effect. You choose one of i think a dozen or so 'Warframes'; solders with exoskeletons that have their individual powers. Every one is different. There are many weapons to choose from and there are 'Mods' for your warframe and weapons that power them up in different ways. It sound like just your thing. Give it a look.

6. Darkwisdom

Then there's no pleasing you :wallbash:

7. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

You might consider playing Oblivion (prequel to Skyrim) get the 5th anniversary edition and it comes bundled with expansion packs "Knights of the Nine and "Shivering Isles" £6-7 on ebay and it does not require steam.
    Oblivion is the first true RPG that I played and as you can play these games for so long I don't really consider their replay value, Oblivion 481 hours, nearly finished, maybe :lol:

I can understand your wish to play games as the developers intended but there are so many excellent add-ons and mods for the likes of Oblivion that truly enhance the game, many make no real difference to the game play but they can make the game look and feel so much nicer, just curious but would you use add-ons and mods if they were released by the game developers as DLC?

8. Darkwisdom

He seems to boycott Elder scrolls because of the replayability. Also, he's completely objected to using mods.

9. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

My bad, :read: properly :lol:

10. Darkwisdom

Like i said. No one says you have to mod it. But, without those mods, i got about 200-300 of gameplay without any of the DLC add ons. With the add ons that's another 100 of gameplay. With mods, i've extended that to an unlimited amount.

Mods enhance games. They're not there to make a game better because it's unplayable without it. There are mods just for quests, and there are some for graphics. More armor, weapons. There are some that give you new ways to play the game. as well.

Skyrim, Oblivion or Morrowind are some of the only RPGs i've ever played that give me that freedom in a game. I hate games with pre-determined routes and levels, if it's an RPG.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

What do you mean by this?

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would genuinely try to open your eyes to mods more, they're just more free game content?

Also you pay too much for games :p
    I just had a single google and found lots of sites offering the legendary edition of Skyrim for less than 35EUR (I think at least)

13. Darkwisdom

I know man. I understand that you want to play as the developer intended. Skyrim was developed For PC and was INTENDED to be modded. They released a creation kit for it? Bethesda constantly praise the modding community and great, groundbreaking mods are even endorsed on their website. They don't intend for you to just play Skyrim as it is. They intend you to play it the way you want. And if you want to play it without mods? Fine, have it your way. But you're really losing out on some special stuff.

14. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I'd second this, fable 1 being the best one. it's just a bit of a shame that if you know the game well you can complete it in a single day if you try hard enough - I used to do that when I was at uni trying to put off doing uni work, get up, load fable, complete it with most of the legendary weapons by the end of the day!

15. Darkwisdom

I loved fable, the first one. The next two were terrible. By number 3, it was like a different game. They tried to change too much. The First one though, was amazing. Short but sweet.

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I started playing Nox the other day, I can't really comment on what it's like as I haven't played much of it yet but reviews seem generally good. You can buy from GOG.com

Have you played Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura? I quite like that game too not completed it though. Also gets generally good user reviews.

18. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I'm not familiar with Skyrim, but is this the one you're talking about? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CJ8X24C

£20 and I think you can get free delivery. If you like a physical copy, Amazon can be useful sometimes (for me, I like physical copies because it's painful downloading 10GB @ 1.5Mbps).

19. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

That's a shame, but I though if you can use super saver delivery it should be free. I think Finland is eligible, but you would have to buy > £25 worth of goods or something. It takes about 1 week, but it's free. The only other thing is taxes (or VAT or whatever it's called), amazon.co.uk includes the UK tax, but I think you pay at the Finnish rate which is a bit higher.

Maybe it works differently in Finland but I buy from amazon.de and .co.uk and always get free delivery. Or maybe you're just impatient and want expedited delivery :D

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

That's a very narrow minded view on what mods can be. Sure some can be cheats, but not all. Some good examples are

DayZ
    Any Community Portal 2 Map
    Black Mesa
    Just Cause 2 multiplayer
    Counter Strike

The addons which you bought for Borderlands could be considered "official" mods. Adding new areas/missions/characters. I'm sure you'd find similar things available as mods for Fallout/Skyrim.

I've hacked/modded Sword of the Stars simply because I didn't really want to play with a random tech tree. Sure it means I'm not playing the game as intended but I enjoy it more this way, so does it really matter?