1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment First DSLR Recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Unicorn, 21 Mar 2013.

1. kingabs

kingabs Minimodder

Nikon D3100 I bought one 8 months back brilliant I have taken some cracking shots and is regarded as v good value.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ah, sorry... Got the 500 and the 550 mixed up. One of you guys has a 500 though, right? Anyway, yes I would be interested in buying your tripod. At the moment I'm doing all my small tabletop work with a tiny Gorillapod, so anything would be an improvement :hehe:

I do want a DSLR, but I'd be much happier getting some lighting gear and learning how to take good photos with what I've got before dropping over £400 on something I potentially don't know how to use properly. If you guys think I can get away with a couple of light guns, a tripod and some actual technical skill, I'm willing to try that first before spending a lot more on a proper body and lenses. I definitely won't be doing much more than shooting project stuff/products for a while. It makes much more sense for me to get a Canon because I will have access to a lot of lenses that I can borrow if I need to do something different or experiment with different shots etc.

Don't have any plans to be up in the next week or so, but I am off school for easter this incoming week and on Easter Monday. I have to go in and do some scheduled maintenance from next Tuesday on, but until then I'll be here in the workshop at some point most days. Text me if any day suits you and I'll try to get something organised around here for us to shoot :thumb:

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

4. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

5. Unicorn

Small bump for this thread. I have been offered a 400D with two batteries, a battery grip and the standard 18-55mm kit lens for £150 all in. I know it's a pretty old model, but for some product and project photography it should at least get me started (read: addicted :worried:). I'm buying it off a friend who does wedding and portrait photography as a part time job and hobby. I have seen the camera this morning and it is in mint condition. It's still got the protective plastic cover on the screen - he looks after his equipment extremely well. He's lending me the camera for a few days so that I can take some shots and see if it's going to be capable of what I need it for. Are there any glaring obvious reasons why I shouldn't go for it?

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Well the price is good. Ive used the 400D for a while and its a decent all rounder.

I did miss not having live view for those macro or landscape shots but thats no biggie really.

Is there anything specific you want to know about it?

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Looks like a great deal, 350D body are selling £80. Should get you started on photography and move on when you are ready.

If you can, try to see if your friend can throw in a 50mm f1.8, it's the (in)famous nifty-fifty, great starting portrait or walk-about lens. Much sharper than the 18-55mm, and according to a recent video, very durable. Second hand they are about £60.

8. Unicorn

Nothing specific that I want to know about it at the moment, although that might change as I try to do different things with it! I'll be able to have a good play around with it when I'm off next week :)

Live view I can live without on my first DSLR - I just want to get used to setting a camera up properly for different shots in manual mode.

I'm not sure if he has a nifty fifty, I'll definitely ask though :thumb:

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

400D is a great first camera, I started one also.

If it's in great condition you'll likely be able to sell it for as much as you bought it for :D

10. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Another recommendation for the 400D - I have one and it has served me very well, but I'm starting to outgrow it... all in all a great camera to begin with :)

11. October

October Mariachi Style

Bout time!

12. Unicorn

IKR?! :D Loving it so far, shot lots of stuff with it yesterday both handheld and on a tripod. Still getting used to all the settings, mostly shot in P-Auto and A-Dep yesterday, only found myself flicking to manual occasionally for shots that I couldn't get right in the other two. I'm sure the quality of photos I'm taking is still crap - especially compared to some of the stuff I've seen in our own POTD thread - but at least I'm shooting in RAW so I can correct the exposure etc at a later stage. It's still producing better shots than the P&S ever did, as amateurish as my skills may be :p

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Bought mine a couple months ago and absolutely love it. Still learning though.

14. asura

asura jack of all trades

Dito, and I was also recommended it on here. I have hacked mine up a bit, but I generally walk around on aperture priority and switch to manual if I want to tweak the shutter speed. Don't take many (any?) pictures of moving subjects so shutter priority never gets used.

Next comes lens accumulation syndrome :hehe:

15. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

One cheap addition I'd say - grab a remote release if you're using it on a tripod, especially a cheap one. It removes the wobble when you press the button, and they crop up on ebay (IR ones or cable release ones) for next to nothing.

16. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

QFT

I would go cable. I have one of each and cable one is MUCH better for everything except a selfie.

17. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Im the other way around with my Nikon (which may make a difference). I prefer the IR remote on my D7000 since there is both a forward and rear IR detector. I have never had any problems with it when doing long exposure night photography

18. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I don't thionk the D5000 has a rear IR sensor. I'll have a test when I get home.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

It's not too much effort to hold the IR remote next to the lens in front of the IR sensor.

Although don't get a cheap £1 ebay version, it only worked a few times and never since.

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Most of the older canon models (inc 400D) don't have the IR sensor so cable is the only choice.