1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Antivirus with lowest CPU hit

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deders, 23 Aug 2013.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm finding that quite a lot of people I know are still using machines with processors over 10 years old, P4's, semperons, One even has a Duron. The problem they are having is that they no longer have enough CPU power to cope with even Microsoft Security Essentials' Real time scanning, it slows down everything they do.

If they could afford to buy new machines they probably would but when all they want is browsing and occasional image editing, things the PC's can handle quite well without the Antivirus (or with much older Antivirus programs), I'd rather find a solution that suited them without them having to shell out.

Does anybody know which current antivirus programs use the least resources whilst giving decent protection?

Edit, not sure why this says Linux, I'm sure I selected Other.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2013
  2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Avast or Nod32... powerful, and light. best options imo..
    and free! :D

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Might try Avast, I use it myself but i do seem to remember switching from this to MSE on some machines to unlock performance. Will give it a try though.

4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I really find MSE to be the least resource hungry of the bunch.

Of course the only thing that uses the least resources is common sense :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

5. Deders

Deders Modder

It's balancing the common sense with the feeling of security that people who really don't know enough about their computers or even need to know enough, all they want them to do is work trouble free.

MSE unfortunately puts the CPU up to 100% every time they do anything, making it take ages before the program they click on actually starts to launch.

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Mse is the least cpu hungry av program i have found. Not going to be a helpful answer but changing the os to linux would solve a lot of issues on slow machines... Hardly had any issues with late mother in law running ubuntu on her nettop. But that was before unity.

7. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

8. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

For old machines ^this is probably the best in the long term. I'd personally vote for Linux Mint (with XFCE), it's very lightweight and a pretty Windows-like UI - easier than Windows even IMO. You can tell them to feel safe because there are no viruses for UNIX (an overstatement, but in reality the chances are so small…).

If (GNU plus ;))Linux is not an option; are you sure that “live” protection is necessary? Can't a scheduled scan every X days do the job?

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Best one for that I used was trend micro. Very low on resources

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

MSE is prob already the lowest.

The duron system would prob take a much faster XP chip for a couple of quid.

That said when old core duo Dells go for about £30 on eBay I have no idea why people put themselves through such misery of using ancient hardware.

Durons were pretty turdy ten years ago!

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I find common sense to be the least resource intensive :p

I would say MSE is one of the leaner AVs out there but its mainly the RAM footprint that causes trouble on older machine, especially if they only have 256mb.

Linux is probably your best bet, but I would say Ubuntu is best for non-techy beginners.

12. narwen

narwen narwen

just set mse to use 50% of cpu

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Been through MSE's setting and didn't notice you could do that. Where would I find it?

14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2015
  15. Deders

Deders Modder

Isn't that the sheduled scan? It's the real time shields that are causing the problems.

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The only setting for real time protection is on or off, But the hit that must have on the CPU must be tiny tbh

17. Deders

Deders Modder

You would have thought but even the act of switching realtime protection off locked up the pc for about 5-7 mins

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Then it is a PC issue.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I have a laptop running a pentium m 740, a quick google says started production in may 04. I've used MSE on it, and once did I experience severe CPU usage, 100% usage unable to do anything while it did what it did. Reinstalled MSE, it hasn't done it again.

Nod32 used to be very light on resources at least compared to others. Not used it in a while though now so no idea what it's like.

20. Deders

Deders Modder

The PC in question is the slowest of the lot but I think it's the software itself. When I disabled it the pagefile started to grow massively so it looks like a memory leak.

Might give that a try if Avast is no good.