1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics No video or USB power

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by drjaydee, 4 Sep 2013.

1. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

So my PC has been playing up recently.

I have just moved and after unpacking my stuff, I discovered my PC wouldn't show video or give power to my USB devices (mouse and keyboard)

I removed one of my RAM sticks, and the PC booted properly. Tried the other and no video or USB power. So I figured the RAM stick had died.

I've just received 2 new 2GB RAM sticks from a seller over on the Marketplace, who said they'd been removed from a working rig, and trying them together they wouldn't work, individually, same thing.

I noticed that one of my sticks is 800MHz, whereas the other 3 are all 667, so I set the RAM speed on my MB from Auto to 667, no luck.

Has anyone got any ideas about what could be causing this issue? Could my MB be shot?

Cheers

Nick

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Assuming it's the same DIMM socket causing the problem it's very likely, I'd imagine a bump might have caused a small fissure on the solder somewhere under the dodgy DIMM socket.

You might be able to RMA it, but using DDR2 I suspect it's too old so you could inspect it and see if there is any obvious issue. Failing that, stick it in the oven for a few minutes.

Perversely, the only time I have ever had this behaviour is when there was a small screw stuck on the underside of the motherboard shorting two solder points, and removing this fixed the issue - worth a check for your sanity!

3. drjaydee

My motherboard is an ASUS P5QL/EPU which has 4 DIMM slots: A1, A2, B1 & B2. I've tried my 800MHz stick in A1 and B1, and the system will boot normally, but the 667MHz sticks aren't giving video out or USB power from A1 or B1

I can't see anything obvious, and I wanna try everything else before putting my motherboard in the oven.

4. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

i think i have a 775 mobo kicking about, i'll let you know.

5. drjaydee

Any news on a 775 mobo?

Also, how would one go about ovening the motherboard? What kind of temperatures and times?

Cheers