1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Now getting a Micro Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j_jay4, 20 Aug 2013.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you change it over they basically refuse to support the line until you put their one back on (and wait 10 days for it to finish training again).

2. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

That's right.
    The 100Mb/s ports will not limit your broadband speed so long as your connection is < 100Mb/s. Wired speeds are a bit more real world than wireless.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2013
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

IMO their (draytek) ADSL stuff is fine - I still have a 2820n at home that's been running fine for a good few years now. I know my uncle ran a 2600 series for a good number of years too.

In fact, so long as the BT Openwound white box is doing the vDSL translation, then the WAN2 on the draytek is set up with the BT details then all seems to be fine. I've put that setup in more times than I can count, and have yet to hear anything back from them (In terms of it going down etc) - Closing on a year later in some places.

In answer to the question, though, I've never had any issues using non-BT kit to dish out the log in details for the connection.

I think BT might be in a spot of bother if they tried to dictate what routers you could use..

Although, I'm sure I remember the BT HH5 is meant to do the vDSL natively, so the white blob boxes might be becoming a thing of the past in the near future, so a fully featured vDSL router would be required anyway..

4. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Late to the party, but curious as to which BT Home Hub the OP has. I've got HH3 and it has got one gigabit port, which can be connected to a gigabit switch, no?

I'm going through the same considerations as OP at the moment and the idea of an HP Micro-server or self-build NAS appeals, so long as I can get one to broadcast wifi, as I've just extended my wired network to my garage but also want wireless in there. If i can get a NAS/server to act as storage and wifi access point in one then I'm laughing...

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I had my server acting as an AP before I got my new modem/router. Windows connection sharing to get it to act as an AP is not elegant, but if you are willing to set it up it works. Set up requires command line, and you have to make a bat or exe that starts the AP up on boot with task scheduler.

Code:
    CMD > Run as Admin

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="some network name here" key="some WPA2 key here"

Go to Network Connections, Right click ethernet, properties, sharing > enable select virtual wifi
    also recommend setting the wifi adapter to do not allow windows to turn off to save power.

BAT file/ or make exe with BAT to EXE>
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork

6. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I have got a Home Hub 3. I didn't realise port 4 was a gigabit port (quickly goes to switch PC from port 1 to 4).

I'm leaning towards a Micro Server now. I think you get more for your money, costs the same as a NAS box after the cashback deal. Just wondering how nice FreeNAS is to use compared to Synology's software?

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well I got my new synology DS212+ today and the installation on my PC and mini Mac is so easy. Trust me if I can do it so can you. Got my holiday starting next week. That will be time to transfer all my files. Setup all the mobile phones and tablets then I'm all set. Really happy with this choice. So do not write off a synology too quickly.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Same. Sounds wrong to me with the proliferation of Mac spoofing etc. Still I'm not bothered. Got a dual Intel gigabit mini-itx PC with dual core atom as pfsense firewall and router recently and that is where the fun is. The openreach modem only has one job.

9. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

May well have to frame a print out of this thread. Quite possibly the first time I've given useful tech advice to someone else on here :rock:

10. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I should have realised: bigger number, must be better

11. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Micro Server Shopping List

I've decided to get a MicroServer, cheaper than a NAS but can do more. So here's my shopping list. Please let me know what you think, I'll have some questions about my selections after:

HP ProLiant G7 N54L MicroServer: dabs.com have them for £203.98 (then -£100 if I buy this month with the cashback deal). CCL have them around that price too.
    WD Red 3 TB: £109.56 Scan.
    Crucial V4 64GB SSD: £37.43 Scan
    MS WHS 2011 64bit: £34.93 Scan
    D-Link 5-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch: £19.18 Scan
    Crucial 4GB/8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Dual Ranked • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.35V £40/£80
    Short length Ethernet cables: Scan

I'm aware of the Gen8 MicroServer, currently at £360 on dabs, is it likely that this will get the £100 cashback deal before Christmas? From what I can tell there has always been some sort of Cashback deal on HP MIcroServers (although it changes from month to month). I'm not interested in the expensive 8 port gigabit switch cashback deal you can currently get with the Gen8 MicroServer. As the current cashback deal on the Gen7 Microserver ends at the end of the month, I'll be making my purchase before then. I think the Gen8 will draw more power with an Intel CPU over the AMD anyway?

Now I'm going to be using it initially as a file server (atm I use Zune to play music, don't stream DVDs yet, access documents thru SkyDrive) later as a TV server. Is the 2 GB RAM enough or should I upgrade to 4 or 8 GB? Also it makes more sense to me to have the OS on a speedy SSD and have the full 3 TB available as storage. I'm aware WHS 2011 will want at least a 160 GB drive partition but there is a workaround. Are there any disadvantages to using an SSD for a server and are the performance improvements worth the £35 upgrade?

Going for WHS 2011, it's a bargain. Can't understand why windows server essentials 2012 is so expensive. If I'm getting a proper server, I should have proper server software on it I think so that's why I've chosen this over the free NAS variants.

Going for a gigabit switch instead of a new router, it's likely we'll be moving in the next 6 months/year so the expensive ASUS router may become obsolete v. soon. I can put up with the poor wi-fi for a bit longer.

That's it for now I think. Need to investigate the TV server software a bit more and pick some PCIe TV cards. This will be pretty cool having access to live tv on any laptop in the house over the wifi. I guess I need to think about how many channels I need to access at once, whether I get two dual tuner cards or one single tuner or combinations of the two.

Thanks for your help

12. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

if I were you I would get 4GB ram, however rather than buy new ask in the market place if anyone has some that came with their micro server they want to sell, will save you £20 ish

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Actually it is other way around, the Intel one will consume a bit less power, but we talk about single digits, 10W tops.

2GB RAM is gine i think.

TV Server + Windows Home Server => i recommend Mediaportal. If i remember correctly you will need to install "BDA R2" to support BDA drivers too (was long time since i was using WHS2011 with TV card).