1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New powerful mini ITX config Stuttering a lot in games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madawcisrich, 16 Sep 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Diablo 3 stutter is most likely connection based stuff. As it can appear to stutter if your net is not quick enough, this becomes more apparent as you move up the inferno mop levels as the amount of units on screen will quickly overwhelm a poor connection. Plenty if posts about this on blizzard forums.

Run unique valley and compare score to bit tech review and you will see if your performance is acceptable or if the card is dodgy. Is a very easy test since they have reviewed the card in question.

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

That wouldn't cover the other games that have stutter though. Fair idea to compare with valley.

madawcisrich, I can't see anything wrong with those furmark & IBT runs, (un)fortunately. Thanks for taking the time to do them.
    So assuming the CPU and GPU are indeed playing nice, that narrows it down a bit. I don't suppose you noticed any stutter/jank in Furmark, did you? Might be worth giving it a go for a bit longer to see if you spot any. I'm fairly sure Furmark doesn't need to touch the disk after it gets going, so if it doesn't stutter - it could be an I/O issue.
    In which case... check for new firmware for that shiny SSD of yours. Updating IRST drivers wouldn't hurt either, if you didn't already do so on install.

3. madawcisrich

madawcisrich What's a Dremel?

Oh, i forgot to mention. I don't install IRST at all since I saw somewhere that this feature is totally useless for SSD. Am I wrong? should I may install that feature?

By the way, strangely the stutter of diablo 3 is totally gone now. I don't know what did I change. Maybe update the bios...Nvidia has released a new driver very recently, after installing that, my HEAVEn ENGINE score pass from 780 to 796. I will test Batman later, but I just don't play much this game.

Thank you for your amazing reactivity and precise answer.

4. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

As far as IRST goes, my general reasoning is that you are using an intel storage controller, it certainly shouldn't hurt to use the appropriate drivers over the bog standard msahci (microsoft).
    As for how that applies to SSDs, I really don't know. That advice might've been related to whether you use them for RAID or not? I believe there is some benefit to using iastor (intel), but I've never bothered to look for anything empirical on it. I can't speak from experience either - I'm stuck with a rather poor Marvell SATA III controller... all I know about that is to NOT use Marvell's craptastic drivers.
    Very open to anyone chiming in here :)

Glad to hear it is behaving now, though. Hopefully it stays that way and if it does, probably best to not mess with the drivers for a while.

You're welcome - happy to help. There is a little add rep button under my name (and everyone else's) at the bottom if you so choose to click it, but entirely up to you.

madawcisrich likes this.