1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any R290 owners yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 10 Nov 2013.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

In this thread?

...not sure if serious.

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Then try reading it again post by post, one at a time.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Unless you think this counts as an insult, which I don't, your next response was to be derogatory, making you the aggressor.

The cooler doesn't cut the coke... End of. There isn't really an argument to have here. Unless you love headphones, the r290 is a wind turbine. Although the performance is close enough to the x version that I can't see why someone wouldn't buy the 290 instead and WC it.

4. AlienwareAndy

lmao.

GTX 780 before the 290 came out = £500.
    GTX 290 = £309.

But hey, that's OK. The extra £191 paid for a great fan.

But, let's all complain about a noisy fan when you could just buy an aftermarket cooler for £40 or so, meaning you've netted near on Titan performance for £350.

What makes me laugh the hardest is how when looking at these people's sigs (the ones who are doing the most complaining) they all run Nvidia cards.

They don't even own a bloody 290 yet they're all here, Nvidia cards in their sigs, moaning about it.

If you can't pick the irony out of that? then sorry, there's not a lot I can do about it. I just weighed in with some facts and then the name calling began.

Oh, and you wouldn't find it offensive or annoying because it's not you constantly on the end of it.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not really. There's a difference between making a gentle jibe about your well-known brand preferences and simply calling someone an idiot/fanboy.

As Sentinel rightly pointed out, just because a few cards use the same fan doesn't mean they'll be as loud in use; TDP, shroud design, case ambients etc etc will all change quite how high the fan is spinning.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Sorry, you seem to think that I would choose nvidia over the AMD card. You are concocting an argument. Most people are saying to wait for a non-reference or custom cooled design as AMD included an inadequate cooler. Nvidia have also done the same in the past and got just as much stick about it.

Now about buying nvidia: whilst they had the market sewn up I would have had no choice. I've been umming and arr-ing andx if I was to drop more money on a gfx card now, I'd buy a 7950 w/boost and crossfire it until I see fit to buy into another generation.

7. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Don't be that person. Just don't.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

I see Andy got another thread into angry mode.

9. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Soooo, about that 290 huh?

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It is good. Buy one with a custom cooler and make sure your drivers are latest with the fan profile fix. Better still, wait for reviews of the custom cooled cards...

11. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Im actually thinking of buying the R290 or maybe 2 and selling my 7970. But im not going to keep the coolers ill be sticking them under water so that should tame them then will overclock the nuts off them. But going to have to wait till pay day

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Sticking with my 7970's while longer I think till the cuii coolers come out.

13. AlienwareAndy

Yes I understand that. No card could possibly be louder than the GTX 480 and I lived with two of those for god knows how long. Performance = heat. Look at Haswell chips. That means noise to remove that heat. Sentinel is using a 980X for example which is a 6 core beast that guzzles power.

I recall reading lately (in regards to people arguing over which GPU to have) that if the same argument was being used by both sides then it wasn't an argument.

Good, isn't it?

As for calling people Nvidiots? I'm called a fanboy at least three times for every post I make regarding hardware. It's because I like AMD FX CPUs. I've been called much worse too, so please don't preach to me about insulting people. Yesterday I was called AMDAndy, which to me is an insult. He basically called me that name insinuating that I was some sort of brainwashed idiot who can't see the wood for the trees. What he obviously doesn't know is that for years I used nothing but Intel and Nvidia because I knew AMD GPUs (in Crossfire) sucked. I'm still using a pair of 670s because IMO Nvidia's drivers are far better and more mature than AMD's.

Yet I'm constantly called a fanboy just because the latest data tends to side with AMD.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Andy, you assume too much. I don't think, nor did I insinuate you're a brainwashed idiot. The reference to AMDAndy is as exactly as Krikkit described, a gentle jibe. If that caused you offence, then I'll bear that in mind in future. The reason people label you as such is because you preach a lot about AMD, almost to the point that it seems you might be on the payroll. Even LinusTechTips and Overclockers forums are full of posts by you in the same vein.

Before you take the above paragraph out of context, nobody has an issue with you for expressing your opinions or beliefs. It's the way you put them across, and being totally honest with you, sometimes it seems like you're ramming them down our throats. That's what gets people's backs up, Andy. You do however raise some valid points and promote some good discussion, but if that discussion goes against your theories, you sometimes take it a little too far and become abrasive or derail the thread - and that's when people take up issue.

At the end of the day, your opinions are your own, as is your right to air them in this community. After all, that's why we're all here, right? It's just the way you go about it.

I hope that this has gone some way toward clearing some of the mire up.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Also, it is boring having every thread about anything remotely GPU/CPU related turning into a mud slinging match, rather than the thoughtful and well balanced debate that Bit Tech is known for which is one of the main reasons I'm still here - every time I venture to other parts of the internet I realise what a considered group we have. I'm very keen to preserve that.

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I am sorely tempted to pick up a 290 (even with the stock cooler) to put it to the test against my 780 in Eyefinity / Surround.

My Super JetStream seems to boost anywhere up to 1300Mhz (overclocked obviously), so the comparison could be an interesting one.

I would want to test a few things:

1) Does the stronger back end (64 ROPs, massive memory bandwidth with a mild overclock) lead to a noticable improvement over a 780 (stock & overclocked) at my resolution?

2) How loud does the card get in a "real world" scenario - my case is a Define R3 with the fans running at minimal settings. My current 780 idles at 28 degrees and hits 73 under prolonged load.

3) Following on from point 2 and, factoring in my cooling setup, how will this affect the 290 after a prolonged gaming period? Will it throttle? If so, by how much?

4) What card offers the better overall experience? This is especially important to me as the 7970's I have run in Eyefinity have all suffered from DP tearing, ruining the experience for me as I run my monitors in portrait mode.

Now I just have to convince my wife that this is a good idea and that I am not just wasting money.... :worried:

17. rollo

rollo Modder

If you buy a r290 from a 780 your crazy and have way too much cash. May as well just buy a second 780 if your really in need of more graphics power. Much more performance.

Id be with the wife on the wasting cash argument if you really considered this a viable idea lol.

R290x we could discuss the gains r290 is faster in some games slower in others. Even then you can get a 780 for around the £350 mark which could give you alot more performance than either choice.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

To be fair, Carrot maxed it out when he did that over Teamspeak. The same can be said for my Vapor-X cooler on the 5870, but it's never anything other than barely audible.

Sapphire have hinted at their own versions of 290 and the 290X towards the end of December.

19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

For me half the fun is actually getting the card in my grubby (OCD clean) mitts, playing around with it and ultimately reviewing it for myself. This is why in the past I have written the stupidly long (for a forum post) reviews comparing various setups in Eyefinity / Surround.

Multiple cards don't really interest me so a second 780 is not something I would be looking at.

20. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Well another thread off mine went off the AMD rails haha. My card should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday so I'm gonna be able to provide some user feedback soon!

Sent from Bittech Android app