1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Which Wi-Fi adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KD88, 23 Nov 2013.

1. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

I've recently taken out a subscription to Virgin Media VIP which has given me up to 100Mb/svia their Superhub, what Wi-Fi adapter would be best?

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I know this isn't very helpful, but running a cat 6 cable would be a hell of a lot cheaper and you'll never have to worry about range.

3. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

You need to make sure both the wireless router and your adapter support the wireless n standard, as the older g standard has a max throughput of 54mpbs. Wireless n supports up to 300 I think.

As others have said, if you can put some cables in that will reduce the chance of wifi signal issues.

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

As would Cat5e.. there's no need for Cat6..

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I would second (third whatever) cable over wireless but if that isn't an option then I would say pretty much any wireless adapter does as good a job as any other really. The only thing I would try to stay away from if you can is USB adapters - only ever had issues with those - go for a PCI or PCIE if you've got room in your rig (if it's the one in your sig then it looks like you would)

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I concur with this. If you have to go down the WiFi route, I would go for an Intel card, something like the Intel 6205 for Desktop. I've always had great success upgrading Atheros/Realtek/Broadcom e.t.c cards in laptops to Intel cards.

7. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

echo what everyone else says, with a 100mb connection - your bottlekneck is nearly always going to be the wireless.

if this is your only option, i'm a huge fan of the Ubiquiti UniFi access points. they are well priced and offer features normally found at the much higher end.