1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The my rig thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 22 Dec 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I could have sworn I did a sort of log for my own rig but it seems not, only the one I built for my lady. Any way this is my rig. The specs are as follows.

Bitfenix Colossus case (I got it for £60 inc brand new)
    Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard (40th present from my mother)
    AMD FX 8320 "got a reboxed Centurion" 8 core CPU.
    Corsair H100 with Cougar Vortex fans.
    8gb Mushkin Blackline Frostbyte
    AMD Radeon 7990 (40th pressie from my wonderful lady, good thing she's also a gamer :D )
    Corsair RM 750. Craig kindly gave me this when my Alienware went bang. I can't thank him enough.
    Killer E 2100 NIC (I like the firewall and dashboard, they make it all so bloody easy)
    OCZ Revodrive 120gb (one of the Scan specials :) )
    5x 500gb Baracuda
    1x 2.5" 320gb laptop drive (for my downloads)
    DVDRW.
    Xilence Redwing fans.

**coming soon** Soundblaster Fatal1ty FPS. This is PCI, so requires some modding to make it work on my board.

Mods.

Some Bitfenix Alchemy braided cables. Some self braided self made cables. Nanoxia ATX braided extension.

80 mm floating fan to cool the VRMs (very important once you get to 5ghz and beyond)
    92mm floating fan to cool the memory and other VRMS (the memory VRMS)

Three red LED strips braided and surrounding the board.

Extras.

Bitfenix window.

Few pics.

With flash (ewww)

[​IMG]

Without flash.

[​IMG]

The money shot...

[​IMG]

Closed.

[​IMG]

And my desk set up.

[​IMG]

More to come :)

2. AlienwareAndy

Today's mod..

Before.

[​IMG]

After, because yes chit like this bothers the crap out of me.

[​IMG]

3. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

WoW.... Look very good to me!!

4. AlienwareAndy

Thanks !. My next mod is getting a PCI sound card to work in a board that has no PCI. I have ordered an adapter, and have been making custom cables so that it's as tidy as possible given the sound card uses a horrid ribbon connector.

5. AlienwareAndy

Well I managed to get the sound card in. It wasn't easy from a hardware or software perspective, but it's done.

[​IMG]

Is the converter. This is it all wired and connected.

[​IMG]

And fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly you can't use a 80 pin IDE cable, so the one I began modding proved to be useless :(

[​IMG]

I was going to paint the end bits black. Any way, for now I painted the 40 pin ribbon.

[​IMG]

And fitted it.

[​IMG]

And I'm pleased enough with it. For the card itself I'm going to fashion a back plate that's covered in black Dinoc, then put on the logo I made using red Dinoc.

[​IMG]

I'm also making a back plate for the Killer, again in black Dinoc :)

6. crazymo

crazymo What's a Dremel?

Very nice m8
    Any chance you could nip around and tidy up my cables lol

7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Are the drives in raid ? If not surely you would be better off buying a single 4TB WD RED, save in energy, heat and noise.

8. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Do those fancy network cards actually do anything? I've seen them before but haven't really looked into them.

9. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

That's a really nice looking rig Andy. Can I ask how you mounted the floating fans for the VRM's? Was it a kit or did you make it yourself?

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Andy, hopefully you take this as positive critiscm and not me having a dig but..

What direction are your top fans above the h100, as you could probably lose that VRM fan, change the rear to an intake (which i always advise when running AIO coolers due to no passive air like they would get on a tower cooler).

11. AlienwareAndy

The fans for the H100 are on intake. With a heavily clocked FX you don't have a choice. Bringing the 120mm rear fan to intake doesn't work because the air goes straight over the top.

Not sure if you've used a FX clocked to 5ghz? but just trust me - I need that fan :hehe: after a long Crysis 3 session you can barely touch the IO shield. With that fan there ? issues be gone.

Eggs and baskets. Heat and noise is a non issue really as they go to sleep when not in use :)

I prefer to have loads of small drives instead of one huge one just for safety purposes :)

Not really no. I paid £15 for mine and fell in love with the Firewall. It's got to be the easiest one to use ever.

It's a mod. I did post about it on here but I can't find it now. I'll do some digging for you :)

12. AlienwareAndy

13. AlienwareAndy

So yesterday I decided to do something about all of the horrible visible caps on the XFI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would have looked so nice with the carbon back plate I had planned. However, it's sad news I'm afraid. Note the 'would have'.

At 2am last night I was listening to my headphones via the front IO when all of a sudden they fell silent. Two hours of fiddling could not revive it. So it's RIP Soundblaster. Honestly? I'm absolutely devastated. I can't tell you the man hours I've wasted getting it in and planning all of the mods and so on. However I won't miss continually peeing around with the software to prevent clipping.

Gutted about the £24 for the PCIE to PCI adapter tbh. Any way, forgive and forget and all that. Time to move on..

[​IMG]

And I did have one piece of luck. In the interim between buying the PCI adapter these have dropped in price from £25 to £13. I wanted to get one before but decided the Soundblaster would work out better and was the same price.

[​IMG]

I get - USB. I lose - volume control knob. I'm sure with the acrylic I've got on order and the dinoc I can make it unique :)

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I like the picture above the desk. Very hardcore. :p

15. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Looks like a certain internet bear!

Also the amount of "My Rig" photos with a bog roll pride of place makes me :hehe:

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Big drive - backed up, job done.

Is it not the slightest coincidence that shortly after using that funny pci-e to pci adaptor your soundcard suffered fatal injury and no longer works?

Last edited: 31 Dec 2013
  17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bahahahaha! Busted!

18. AlienwareAndy

Our flat is Victorian so we're sticking to period. Seriously you want to see the detail on the ceilings it's just OMG. The picture you see above the PC is called Teddy's Tales Party Time and is a really old oil painting that Nicola (my lovely lady) bought for her daughter when she was born. You know kids. They don't really have any sentiment for things like that until they grow into middle aged adults. When she wants it it'll be waiting :)

I like it. Mind you pretty much everything we bought to the flat was period any way. We bought a lovely frameless Art Deco mirror the other week :)

19. AlienwareAndy

Believe it or not the bog roll is for vaping. When I empty my Ecig I usually blot the coil with toilet paper, otherwise you end up with a shot of Eliquid in your gob and trust me, that ain't nice. Nicotine tastes like doodoo. I also tend to drain the tank into tissue from time to time because if you get a dry burn it makes the liquid go a yucky brown which taints any fresh liquid you put in there.

I don't need tissues. I've got a beautiful wonderful lady :)

20. AlienwareAndy

Only it isn't the sound card that died it's the front IO panel.

TBH it could even be a driver issue, but I'm done now. I've pumped too many hours into it and it does nothing but fight you all the way.