1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD opens Kaveri A10-7850K pre-orders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jan 2014.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Same Ol' AMD, they talk the talk but just can't walk the walk. Just how these PR stunts keep coming out but when the real world review comes out all the fanboys seem to disappear is beyond me. Funny how that tends to work.

Stick a fork in them, they're done!

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

^^ this ladies and gentlemen is a troll

do not feed the trolls.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Really looking forward to what the chips bring to the table as this will be one if the last chips AMD do for enthusiasts.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If we look at the releases from AMD in the CPU/APU-segment for the last 4-5 years he's actually spot on, which is kinda sad.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

just like Intel are now quoting ` SDP` because TDP they cant keep it down to the promises...

APU`s work very well in the market they are for - look at the SoC from AMD that's coming out - no chipset at all on the new ITX FS1 socket boards.

Intel have a lot of catching up to do. but ARM is the next big thing , Intel can see this - and Atom is selling (although not as well as ARM) despite it still being x86

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I've not had any troubles with my last three intel CPUs (C2D E8400, i5-760, i5-3450), quiet contrary, they were all an absolute breeze to cool quietly.

And yes, the next big thing is SoCs, but intel shows what they can do with the NUCs, and it's not long before they show off their 14nm Broadwell thinigies and their new Atoms.

7. John_Edward

John_Edward What's a Dremel?

I would like to butt in and tell you all that the word 'Kaveri' is a slightly informal word for a 'Friend', something like 'Buddy', in Finnish.
    Which is highly ironic when you take into account the way this thread has gone.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

atom and broadwell still isn't SoC , and you haven't had a haswell i7 , so don't know the problems still effecting them on stock cooling.

9. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Intel - faster CPU, weaker GPU.
    AMD - faster GPU, weaker CPU.

You pays your money and makes your choice....

I did notice, though, that it uses HSA which is found in the PS4, so theoretically if the devs know what they are doing you could have PS4 quality titles on a PC costing around the same.

I see Mantle is touted too.

You can slag off AMD APUs all you want, call for AMD's demise, but at the end of the day they sell well.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

AMDs CPU devision made less profit last quater than the quater before. The problem always was that they are not selling. Or we would not be discussing them as we are as they would likely still be very competitive.

Mantle is already late to its own party ( bf4 promised pre 2014)

As for ARM till board manufacture make motherboards that I can buy and there's chips for sale that I could purchase in the desktop space its a waste of space. Whilst still somehow below AMD in servers.

Don't think the apus are bad I just want a different chip. As I've said before if they made a chip that had good single thread performance for those of us that need it then they would probably gain a buyer.

Till that time they are very difficult to recommend in Stratagy or racing genre. Where 90% of the engines are single or duel threaded at most.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

again your ignoring 95% of the market - retail is a tiny portion of intel (and amd) money - same with arm.

you can already buy arm based machines , TV's have them - pvr`s have them. just because you can`t go and get them from an etailer and build your own doesn't mean they arnt out there

as for single thread games? those days are ending - consoels are the force forward and they are 8 cores now - MS have sold over 3 million XB1 since launch , sony have sold similar.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Those days for certain game types, harle.

6 mil total sales, Starcraft 2 has broke 20million at last check.

AMD fans are good at ignoring markets others care about as they can't get a benchmark to show them in a positive light. I own 2 AMD chips in htpc machines and 2 intel chips. So I do actually buy from both companies unlike most in this argument.

As you just said 90% of sales are not retail but AMD made the decision to pursue there current market sector which is heavily retail based.

Tvs pvr and whatever else is not really desktop pc related. There's one ARM sorta pc which is the chromebook which is basically a big web browser with a keyboard for the record.( that joe public would know about)

If you have a small ish budget you can buy AMD and it will do you fine, problem for AMD is people with small budgets have moved into tablets.

Once the next high end fx chip is released hopefully soon you never know what will happen.

13. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

My CPU history is:

Celeron 366MHz
    Athlon 1700XP
    Athlon Mobile 2600XP @ 2.4GHz
    Opteron 150 @ something
    Athlon 4200 x2 @ 3GHz
    Intel 3750k @ 4.2Ghz

AMD were trouncing Intel for a while (first to market with 64-bit CPUs and first to market with dual core CPUs). It all seemed to fall apart when they merged with ATI. Since then, Intel have been winning the performance war by quite a margin.

I hope AMD sort things out, because monopolies are bad.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Intel went off the rails with the P4 architecture, which gave AMD a huge opportunity to step in to with the Athlon XP family. Problem is, Intel took the hit (eventually) and came back with the Core family of CPUs which have been knocking it out the park ever since (well, not counting the early Core Solo models that were basically tech demos of what was to come in the Duos and Quads). AMD just don't seem to have gone and done a complete overhaul in a similar way, just rely on throwing more cores at the problem (whereas Intel used to throw more MHz). Thing is, single or dual thread is still very very common, so AMD's approach isn't universally successful.

My CPUs have been something like:
    Cyrix P166+
    Pentium II 450
    Pentium III 866
    Pentium 4 2.53
    Pentium M 1.6
    Athlon X2 4200+
    i5 2500k
    i7 3770k
    i5 4670k

NB: this ignores my Macs which range from G4 right through to the Intel Xeons, and also stopped me from building more PCs during what was AMD's Athlon 64 heyday. The jump from my Athlon 4200+ to a 2500k skips over several years of Core Duo MacBooks and octocore Mac Pros.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How many millions play DOTA2, LOL and SC2? These chips are certainly fast enough for those games and you know you get excellent graphics driver support. What's not to like?

While, yes, Intel is certainly faster and orders of margin more efficient - and we all like fast stuff - we are in the upper tier of users. What is difficult for bit-techers to appreciate is this level of price : performance is very competitive for mainstream users. But did you know over 50% of all Intel motherboard sales are H61. How many here would consider one? How is that getting the best performance? The biggest graphics card sales volume is around $100. Is that even worth buying to us?

So, yes, it won't win benchmarks but I don't sit around all day running SuperPi, Cache latency statistics and 3DMark; rarely does anything tell you what day-to-day PC use will be like. Many people just want to know if it's good value, it's 24/7 stable and it'll last 2-3 years. Just because AMD don't have the high-end sewn up doesn't mean they are 'DOA'.

16. Vallachia

Vallachia What's a Dremel?

Except Sony made the wise choice of pairing their rather more powerful SoC with 256-bit GDDR5. Kaveri on the other hand is going to be very bandwidth constrained with it's dual channel DDR3.

We saw almost linear performance scaling with A10-6800K as DDR3 frequency was increased to provide more bandwidth to the iGPU. Kaveri will suffer the same problem, only more so due to having more iGPU execution cores.

Don't get me wrong, I like and support where AMD is going with Kaveri, but I would like to see it live up to its real potential. That means at least quad-channel DDR3. I just can't understand why AMD crippled their own chip to save a few bucks.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The stock memory frequency for DDR3 on 7850K is 2133, up from 1866 on 6800K, so a little boost, and on a decent MB (and expensive memory I guess) you should hit 2666/2800.

Quad-Ch DDR3 would have caused a design cost that far outweighs the systems design. That's why Intel only use it on their super-high end for example. Additional layers, design time, qualification is all cost, which MB makers will be less inclined to do and some of those costs are inevitably past onto the consumer (4-->6 layer PCB for example and needing to buy 4 DIMMs).

Again it comes down to respective price : performance. Yes, you could get exponential performance with quad channel or GDDR5 'DIMMs' (there is no JEDEC standard and the tolerance to trace length variance/EMI in GDDR5 is much, much less than DDR) or even AMD could make a much larger physical chip and solder GDDR directly onto the substrate much like a mobile GPU. This would yield profits in AMD's favor as they could charge a more premium price (think Intel R series). It's the channel that would not accept it though.

18. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

APUs have a place. Just look how hard Intel has been scrambling to keep up with their IGP in the last few generations. They realize how important graphics power is becoming.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

6 million total sales in 4 weeks.

SC2 has been out 3 1/2 years . at current selling rate - MS and Sony will suprass blizzard sales by easter.

90% of people using pc`s only want web browsers , candy crush , sending emails , looking at funny movies and cat pictures and light gaming, and that's where AMD shine. they can play LOL , DOTA and SC2 - maybe not on `ultra high` settings , but well enough at `HD` settings.

the chromebook is powered by intel (bar 2 of them - 1 Samsung and 1 HP) the rest all have Atom`s or similar. And why dismiss it? chrome as an OS is built around a web browser!

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

What is odd though is that with Iris Pro they already have a iGPU that can easily compete with any APU AMD have available (including Kaveri), yet they onlty include it on very specific CPU's (I forget the model).

I assume this is down to complex cost / yield / go knows what else reasons but it seems odd from a consumer point of view - esecially as there appears to be a market for them.

A core i3 with Iris pro level IGPU would offer signifiant competition to AMD's FM2 APU's if it existed.

I am quite liking the performance offered by the X4 760K system I recently built for my wife (basically a 6800K without the iGPU but at ~ 60% of the cost). As the MB supports it, I would love to drop in a Kaveri based "Athlon" to see if the touted IPR improvements actually make a different to real world apps. I have no need for the iGPU element as the system has a HD7850 already.