1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Solar Panels - Do you have them?

Discussion in 'General' started by benji2412, 11 Feb 2014.

1. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Hello all,

As the title says really, as we're all in to our technology I figured there'd be people amongst us who would like to share their installations (if they have them).

So what do you have and what is it generating?

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

My parents recently got some, I'll try and get the details.

I know they've got 3 'sets' or whatever due to the shape of the roof which isn't ideal (nor is the direction really) but I'll see if I can get any figures.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

4. benji2412

That thread descended into a pros and cons argument, I don't want this to go the same way. I just want a share of information. For example which company they've used, the experience they had, what their outlay was, did they get it on credit?

I'm not interested in any discussion on how the technology works or the politics of cost compared to traditional power generation etc.

Just pictures and numbers will do!

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Generally your looking at 5-10k upfront, Repaid in 10-15years replaced in 25years. You can make between £5k to £10k in savings in that time.

Main advantage is during the summer you do not have a hot water bill as the solar panels will provide it.

All this assumes you have a south facing house which gets enough light each day to make it worthwhile. We did not but the qoutes are what we were estimated above. ( around 8months ago) That would of been paid by bacs.

Not sure how a credit arangement would work guess you would loan the cash from the bank over 5 years then pay it back monthly.

6. benji2412

Thanks for the reply rollo, I don't think I've explained in the OP well enough what I'm after lol. Just wondering what installations people have (make of the panel, type of panels, how many), who installed them, which FiT they're on, why they've elected for the setup they have etc.

As I say I'm interested in the figures people are getting in terms of power and where they are. Money doesn't bother me at all, you can calculate relatively accurately what you should generate. There's a reason I'm asking, which is related to my line of work (I'm a research fellow in photovoltaics). It's not because I'm planning on getting any and need advice :)