1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Crucial M500 (240GB) or Samsung 840 EVO (250GB)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SchizoFrog, 13 Mar 2014.

?

Crucial M500 (240GB) or Samsung 840 EVO (250GB)

1. Crucial M500 (240GB)

34.8%
  2. Samsung 840 EVO (250GB)

65.2%
  1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I am about to order various PC parts but am torn between the Crucial M500 (240GB) and Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) SSDs. The Samsung has significantly faster writes speeds and very good software included but the Crucial is far less expensive at £85 compared to £115 while the slower write speeds may not be that noticeable in real world use.

So what is the general opinion here? Is the Samsung worth the extra or am I better off with the Crucial?

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The 250GB Evo is currently £99 on Amazon at the moment if that sways your decision.

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The Evo's also noticeably faster for reads, not just writes...

...though, to use the Rapid memory thing to boost things, my testing with the current s/w showed that it didn't work if the controller is in raid mode on an intel board.

Obviously this isn't a problem if you don't want any other drives in an array on the same controller, but is a limitation.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2014
  4. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

Good evening,
    I'm planning a build for my Dad, he'll be going from a 5400rpm to some kind of SSD.
    I had a similar dielema to you but in the end I chose the Crucial, here's the reasons why:
    1. Going to any SSD from a slow/old mechanical will feel amazingly fast.
    2. I use the C300 64GB (360 read, 75 write ish) at uni and have a Samsung 840 basic at home, I don't notice the difference.
    3. This was the biggest thing I think - Budget. Compromising on that little bit of write speed to spend on a better GPU, or other components (coolers etc), would yeild better results.
    The power loss protection was a selling point for me too.

This is just my 2cents but my money would be going to the M500.

Let us know what you decide.
    Regards, Richard.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Well the poll has had a few days to run and the vote right now is 5 for Crucial (33%) and 10 for the Samsung (67%).

If prices were to be as I originally quoted then I think I would go for the Crucial drive. However, as mentioned by lancer the Samsung can be had for £99 on Amazon. So with the extra speed (noticeable or not) and the included software I feel that the Samsung is the way to go.

The arguments presented by Public Enemy are all valid and would be the reasons for me choosing the Crucial if the price difference had been £30+, but at less than £15 difference it makes it a much closer call, especially when you factor in the extra value of the slightly larger drive too.
    As for the benefits of upgrading from a mechanical drive to SSD, my personal choice is not so much about that improvement but trying to get the best drive for my money once I choose to upgrade.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this. :)

6. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

Afternoon;
    I totally agree that the Samsung been on offer makes it a much closer call. The software included will be useful too.
    Anyway enjoy your new build, always good having shinny new PC parts :clap:

Regards, Richard.