1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Newegg goes live in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Apr 2014.

1. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Dude don't be so butt hurt, no one pointed out you were wrong, just that it's bigger and more complicated than you maybe thought. Take Bede's funny post, pointing out all the world leaders/companies controlling things out of the public eye, admitting there is a problem but offering no solution. Thing is a boycott of NewEgg even by all of us, would not dent the US Military Industrial Complex.

2. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Indeed, but could you please point out what's wrong with his use of 'due' in the post above? It seems perfectly fine to use 'Due to ...' in that case to me.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

He edited the post after my correction. It was originally posted as 'Do to'.

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Why would I want to get something internationally shipped to me and then have to pay import tax. Doesn't seem like a well thought out idea?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'Cos you'd be paying the import tax and VAT anyway, just tacked on to the UK MSRP of the item?

I bought a Leatherman Style PS from Amazon US the other week. Delivered to the UK, it cost just shy of £18 - handily dodging import tax. The same tool from Amazon UK was £28. I've bought other things where even when having to pay VAT and import tax - plus the Royal Mail handling charge - it's *still* been cheaper than buying locally, even assuming the thing I want is available from the UK. Sure, not everything will be cheaper to import - but there are certainly savings to be made.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd be loath to buy PC components from the States for the simple reason that should the item be DOA, the cost and time of returning it would be considerable. Of course, there are good savings to be made on some stuff, but the price differential between goods from the UK and US could be thought of as the "peace of mind premium". Whether you're willing to pay that premium is going to depend on what you're buying and how expensive, heavy or fragile it is.

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

You're going to have a bad time.

But viva la revolution.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

So, has anyone spotted any good deals on there?

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Surely you'll hear about them before us with your crazy hearing aids.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Last time I tuned them in to Murican they nearly overheated. Never again.