1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Raven RVZ01 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 13 May 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I must say I'm very impressed... As the review says - this case just screams Steam box and the PCIe riser is a fantastic idea...

3. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Fair to say that the Milo ML07 will be the same results (as AFAIK it's the same chassis) and I prefer the aesthetics of that over the Ravens styling.

I did actually double-take those CPU temps; very impressive little case!

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Interesting chassis, epic cooling and capable of housing a fairly potent rig, even if it does seem a little on the large side for a iTX case. Whilst not wishing to appear too negative, I think the value score seems a bit high, considering the need for a £75 SFF PSU too (assuming you want to game on it).

I wonder if they're planning a similar layout mATX box?

5. Farsan

Farsan What's a Dremel?

I wonder too. Wish any good modder could say something about... xD

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I still don't get how the risercard is working on the installed motherboard. Any pics of this?

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This looks a nice case indeed. But I can't help wondering if it's less of an enclosure and more of a compact "mount" for components. There's an awful lot of holes in there and I'd be worried about the din if it was parked next to me on the desk.

Also, I'm sure it goes without saying, but potential buyers of small ITX cases should always be aware that using an AIO CPU cooler (if your case supports it) pretty much levels the playing field in terms of temperatures and isolates the CPU from the case, leaving you to wrestle with the GPU cooling instead.

8. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I was just thinking this; how come no photo of fully kitted out case including G-card? Or does the riser insert just block off the lower section completely so not much to see?

9. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

reminds me of the Alienware X51. Apart from the proper PSU! I think this will at some point end up in my sitting room.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I find any criticism of the use of a SFX PSU extremely short sighted.

The use of SFX PSUs should be encouraged and applauded in ITX case design, and marked up accordingly. SFX PSUs, even in their current 450W form provide easily enough power for a single GPU gaming rig (I run a 3570K at 4.4Ghz, and an OC’d GTX 770)

They are so much lighter than a regular PSU, making your ITX case easily transportable (a reason people go ITX in the first place). Not forgetting of course, the main draw – their diminutive size, meaning space left for big GPUs or just smaller cases overall.

If anything, marks should be awarded for intelligently picking the PSU form factor that naturally matches the size of the motherboard. Sure, people might have to buy a new PSU, but then they’ll recoup whatever it is they get back from selling their old one, and have a lighter, smaller PSU to go with it.

Reviewers even mentioning it as a negative really doesn't help the issue. The Silverstone marketing team are going to look at this and go back to the design team and say 'we got marked down for the SFX PSU guys', and the next case will use an ATX PSU, and we'll be right back where we started, with no new SFX PSUs coming to market because people aren't buying them.

11. thogil

thogil What's a Dremel?

Indeed, they would have been fools to put a full size ATX PSU in there. An SFX PSU is exactly appropriate.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it isn't appropriate - my only gripe was the value score, given the premium attached to SFF PSUs.

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately a couple of the pictures for the case were corrupted and with Z97 and all that hoo-har going on we haven't had time to build it up again. However, you can see here the lower section with the GPU shroud installed, here how the riser fits to the graphics card and here how the case looks with everything but the graphics card and shroud installed. In short, you can't see the graphics card once it's installed as it's completely covered by the shroud.

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

That's spot on. Is the end system going to be more expensive than an ATX 450W PSU system? Everything else being equal, yes. Can you transplant your existing PSU like you can with a Prodigy - no. As such we have to mention these things and I think that's fair as people will and have commented on the fact with previous SFX cases that decent SFX PSUs such as SilverStone's are expensive compared to their ATX counterparts. Plus many people aren't even aware that SFX PSUs exist and that some cases require them so it's important we raise these points.

Personally I think they're brilliant and I've got one in my system right now and I've used them in countless modding guides as well. Parge is absolutely right in saying that SilverStone was right to one here as well - don't get us wrong. We're only informing people that there will be an extra outlay and that the case needs a somewhat unusual PSU that isn't included. Other than that it gets one of the highest scores a mini-ITX case has ever received on bit-tech, so I don't think SilverStone will be too unhappy!

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm surprised nobody has gone for TFX yet - that little big bigger than SFX but that allows for a bigger, quieter fan, more space for heatsinks/circuitry and still taking up a lot less space than an ATX supply.

16. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

That exactly (see here) - that's about the best piccies I could find of (a) a graphics card installed in the bracket and (b) a system installed in the case. I do like how the 2.5" drives mount to the back of the bracket though - very clever design...

I have to admit that this case is making me rethink my entire living room setup...

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just an FYI - if you have the ST45SF-G, its likely you have version 1. Version 2 has new firmware with much quieter fan profiles. Mine is virtually silent! :rock:

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I didn't know that! I had read that they were noisy and there was warranty voiding going on with Noiseblocker fan replacements.

I was considering the non modular 450W for my ITX, but JRS has me worried on that one, my SG05 with 300W is fine.

19. Alistair

Alistair Minimodder

I have the v2 of the ST45SF-G in my RVZ01 & don't have any noise issues. Have been using this setup for my HTPC since the case was available at Scan a few months back & really rate it. The only real noise I get is when I am stressing the Gigabyte 260X GPU with madvr.

A couple of internals of mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 May 2014
  20. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

interesting. was going for the FT03 for my next mITX build, but i might actually change my mind...

...now about that GPU riser thing. hows my 660Ti going to fit in there... love to see a pic.

Tags: Add Tags