1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Toshiba HG6 SSD 512GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 26 Jun 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

If we leave the whole synthetic scene and look at what the drive can provide in real world terms its actually very fast indeed. Only PCmark really gives you any glimpse of an idea of this as everything else only really shows what a drive can do as a maximum level. Thats no different to Ken blocks Fiesta topping out at 130mph but getting there in 6 seconds vs a standard fiestsa ST topping out at 140mph (ie faster) but taking the best part of 3 weeks to do it..

They are very well made drives thats for sure but performance is faster than perhaps synthetic tests would suggest.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Rein.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Rayne.

On topic, if I were currently in the market for half a terabyte of bargaintastic I'd go for the Toshiba Q Series 512GB drive.

You'll save over £120 for an intangible loss of performance in most applications. It was even cheaper t'other day.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Am wondering if manufacturers are being deliberately vague about the Nand in case they need to swap it out with another brand further down the line.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Rain. (Seriously, English, three homophones - four if you count proper nouns? Way to go.)

7. rollo

rollo Modder

You could basically just about buy 2 toshiba ssd q series 512gb for this price and raid them together they would have better performance than this 1 drive does and offer more space to boot.

£270 to £280 looked good last year or even a few months back but with the sudden reduction in prices even in Tosh own brand you cant really look at this as anything but expensive.

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Pretty sure Kingston have been caught out sending out samples with a better NAND than what is then put on sale for retail.

9. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

To beat a dead horse once again, the nominal/formated capacity thing is really annoying. It's like myself saying I'm 7.2ft tall when I'm really 6ft, because I just decided on my own that I'm only gonna count 10 inches per foot. What? It's my "nominal" height...

For all intents and purposes it is a 480GB drive. Manufacturers claiming that it's 512GB is nothing short of intentionally misleading and false advertising IMO. I think they shouldn't be allowed to do this.

/rant

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Nothing will change now, it's been the status quo for too long. The capacity of a terabyte drive will always be 931GiB, manufacturers will never start marketing 931GiB drives though will they? Because the capacity of the drive is exactly 1000GB and that sounds better, even if Windows doesn't talk in gigabytes.

I agree it's irritating though, the capacity advertised should be the formatted one.

I think mebibyte and gibibyte are stupid words too. But that's what operating systems use, not megabytes and gigabytes.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2014
  11. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

on the edge of the drive............. what are those 4 pins for?

12. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I think only Toshiba would be able to tell you that. AFAIK they're usually manufacturer specific, maybe used for accessing the drive for development purposes, data recovery or to get at the system reserved portions of the NAND.

13. south side sammy

yup, those are possibilities.

14. south side sammy

15. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Thats was the SSDNow v300 SSD's, they originally used Toshiba 19nm toogle-mode 2.0 NAND but then switched to Micron's 20nm asynchronous NAND without a word, no change in packaging, name or price but a lot slower performance.

Tags: Add Tags