1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Synology DSM attacked by SynoLocker malware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

First, to clarify: the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) software that drives its various NAS models is Linux. You already have a Linux server; just one that comes preconfigured for a certain task and with non-standard software (the web-based user interface) installed.

To the meat of the question: the only stupid thing you have to do is to open the management port to the internet by port-forwarding (or UPnP) on your router, which is the official way you get access to your files from outside your home. That, coupled with not having installed the security patch from December, is enough to get yourself infected. It's a remote code execution vulnerability; no user interaction required. You don't need to visit any sites, download any software, or install anything on the NAS itself; if the port is forwarded and December's security update isn't installed, then SynoLocker will find it and infect it.

Such is the price we pay for convenience, sadly. I can only access my NAS using SSH, and then only from pre-approved systems that have a private key matching public keys stored on the server itself. Not as convenient as Synology's software, but very secure.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I must say I did have the Synology management HTTPS port 5001 forwarded, but I've kept the system up to date so I was lucky enough to avoid it.

For just as convenient access to your files, use VPN server provided in the package centre. You can also use DS Files app and open WebDAV to access your files without going VPN route.

I had replaced my Synology with a Windows Home Server HP box, but was never happy with its configuration, so I went back to Synology in the end.

3. mitch311

mitch311 What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the clarification Gareth. I have DSM5 up to date but had an email a few weeks ago about a manual patch that I haven't got round to installing so I'll be doing that asap.

One thing I played about with previously was the QuickConnect thing that lets you access files on your phone using the free apps. Needless to say I couldn't get it to work but this has me worried that I've left my NAS visible to others. I shall have to spend some time sorting this out.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The question remains if SDM is a Linux based system. How was any code allowed to be executed without root?
    Even if they have plugged one hole chances are there could well be another.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2014
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You don't need to be root to run software, otherwise you'd never be able to open a web browser or play a game. You should need to be root (or have root privileges) to make system-wide changes, but again we're looking at a trade-off of security for convenience: you have to be able to manage the system through the system management interface, otherwise it'd have no purpose. Got a hole in the system management interface? The attacker can manage the system, just like you can. In this case, "manage" being "disable access to the management console and begin encrypting all the files."
    Welcome to modern software: code these days is far too complex to be without error. You just have to hope the good guys spot the flaws and fix 'em before the bad guys spot the flaws and exploit 'em. No operating system is immune.

6. theshadow2001

A very tired shadow + tapatalk + a phone = not a chance of me posting to the required Bit-tech level of pedanticism. We both know what I meant.

I suppose so, it just seems silly to build a linux based system and ignore all those well established security features. Why not a nice user friendly interface to an actual linux system with all its secuirty goodness left intact.

In a round about way, what I was saying is that you might be better of just setting up something yourself on a more established less customised system. Like open-media vault and some old or low power gear.

7. Gareth Halfacree

You might have known what you meant, but a Linux n00b coming to this thread would have been confused - hence the clarification. No offence was meant!
    What security goodness? Linux is, at its heart, no more or less secure than any other operating system - well, now that Windows has got out of the habit of defaulting all users to administrative privileges, anyway. If there's a security hole in a piece of software that runs with root privileges, then an attacker exploiting that hole will get root privileges.

Let's say that Synology changed its software to run as an unprivileged user with no access to anything. Secure, but useless: an attacker can't get at your files, but neither can you. So, you have to expand its permissions to include the ability to read and write the files, right? Boom: if an attacker exploits a security hole, like SynoLocker does, the code he or she runs also has access to read and write the files. There's nothing in Linux or any other operating system that can prevent this: if the attacker has your privileges, he or she can do anything you can do - up to and included encrypting all your files with a key you don't know.
    OpenMediaVault is very similar to DSM - a friendly interface to a preconfigured appliance image. It, too, could easily fall victim to security flaws just like SynoLocker; it may, however, be more secure due to its lower popularity. Synology has a big user base of people who have paid real cash money for their NAS many of whom may not be the most technically minded, a tempting target pool for attackers; OpenMediaVault - and other similar projects - have a smaller user base most of whom are technically minded by dint of having decided to build-their-own instead of buying COTS, a far less tempting target.

There's the option of roll-your-own entirely, but a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing: knowing enough to set up a Linux server is one thing; knowing enough to keep a Linux server secure is something quite different.

8. theshadow2001

Oh you know, the natural permissions structure, the fact that files aren't executable by default little things like that.

Ok but lets say Synology changed there software so that you can do your normal file interaction with the NAS storage folders, but you can't do things like modify the operating system files, install new software or encrypt stuff without a higher user level, the level of some kind of super user. Who's login is only temporary whilst carrying out those tasks.

Quite possibly, maybe sometimes obscurity is security.

True, if only there was some sort of guide that might tell us how to secure access to things like this....:D

9. Gareth Halfacree

You wouldn't need to execute anything to do a SynoLocker-style attack: just bypass the login requirement. Even if the attacker needed to drop an executable, they're logged in as you - which means they need only chmod +x and their file is now an executable. And, again, permissions won't help: anything that would stop the attacker doing something would also stop you doing that same thing.
    But there would have to be some way for you to switch to the temporary super-user account in order to perform these tasks, right? So, if the attacker is logged in as you through a security hole, he or she can also switch to the temporary super-user account. See the problem?
    Hah! I'm far from an expert, although - touch wood - I've not been got yet.