1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HGST announces world's first 10TB hard drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Sep 2014.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC [Gareth or some else may correct me on this] in the Spectrum/BBC Micro days, British coders were held in high[er] regard as the home computers on sale had [relatively] less memory than their equivalents elsewhere so they were capable of doing more with less...

But this brings me back to my previous comment, most people only tend to optimise when throwing more hardware at it isn't an option

2. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Wasn't that long ago, around about 15 years ago, when some BIOS had a HDD limit and wouldn't see a HDD bigger than around 140GB IIRC, I had a PC Chips, mobo, yeh, I know, you can laugh :hehe: and I actually bought a replacement BIOS chip for it that had been flashed for a bigger HDD and it came with a small lever tool to remove the old chip that just plugged into the mobo, you felt like real modder swapping BIOS chips, but today, just d/loading a new BIOS file and flashing it, Pah, too easy.

Is it really a 10TB? So many companies use the dumbed down 1,000MB in a GB rather than the true figure of 1024.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

it'll be 10TB [Base 10], so 1x10^13 bytes or 9.1 TiB [Base 2]

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I remember our family PC with NO HDD!

5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I remember our family with no PC.