1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony celebrates 20 years of PlayStation with exclusive PS4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I find it mildly interesting that he talks about developers, but not customers. Of course, it's only a quote from a larger speech, so not reading too much into it.

3. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

..OUCH!

Hmm, hip young things, I actually bought a PS1 to play Myst, Pah, no trendy Battle Arena Toshinden, Rayman or Ridge Racer for me, they were kids games, but Gran Turismo, Medal of Honor, Metal Gear Solid, now your talking, hard to believe it was nearly twenty years ago :sigh:

Last edited: 3 Dec 2014
  4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

In fairness, doing right by developers was a large part of what let Sony get their foot into the door originally.

Nintendo was historically antagonistic to developers, and Sega was rapidly becoming almost as bad.
    Sony at the time was very liberal with what they would allow a developer to publish, and it made them popular with developers and publishers because you didn't have to fight through a lengthy and fickle content review process. Perhaps one of the best-known examples of this was Sega refusing to license an english release of the Saturn RPG Grandia because the western market didn't like RPGs, at the same time that SCE was PERSONALLY publishing the english release of an obscure niche title called Final Fantasy 7.

(Sony's reputation as a liberal licensor rapidly changed once the PS1 became THE system to have. Lacking viable competition, they became as hostile as Nintendo and Sega were. But that's a story for another day. )

They also offered a comprehensive C-based development kit that made coding software MUCH easier than the competition's assembly-focused devkits, making them the first to realize improved compiler performance and rising hardware capabilities had crossed to the point where coding on bare metal was no longer inherently superior. The newfound ease of development made them a very attractive platform to develop for.
    Sega's Saturn, by contrast, pretty much HAD to be coded in assembly because it was a complex multiprocessor system and compilers of the time didn't handle threading very well at all. And it wasn't easy to write good assembly code for it because it was a complex multiprocessor system.

The Nintendo64 was... almost completely irrelevant due to how late it was to the party.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. Literally, Sony representatives were sat in the audience at Nintendo's CES press conference, got increasingly excited as the company they'd been working on a CD-ROM-based games console with was saying "and we're announcing a partnership with one of the leaders in CD-ROM technology..." then heard the name 'Philips' where Sony should have been. Absolutely incredible story. Here's a fair-use extract from the excellent Console Wars by Blake J. Harris (soon to be a major motion picture.)

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That PS4 is gorgeous. Shame they're not coming to Europe :(

7. Gareth Halfacree

Eerm... They are? The announcement was on the SCE Europe blog and it has a price in Euros. Yoshida says it won't be available via 'traditional retail channels' in Europe, but it's clearly going to be available somehow - likely direct from Sony.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I would have loved a PS4 shoehorned into an original PS shell. That would have been one of the best things ever.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

PAH! And here I was getting excited about my only-just-less-than-common white model turning up in the post just now. :sulk:

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

That would of been pretty cool.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Oh interesting. Other sources seem to indicate EU availability is going to be limited, likely contests and the like.

If it's direct from Sony I'm massively tempted, despite us having two PS4 units already.

EDIT: It's the coloured PS logo on the main unit that does it for me. Far better than the single silver effort on the black units.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Twenty years ago I didn't own a console or a PC because I thought all that money, it would take to buy a PC, would be wasted as after two or three weeks I would get bored with it and it would just sit in a corner gathering dust. It was another five years before I got round to buying a PC, a few more before I bought a console.

The console is sitting under the TV, gathering dust, unloved.

13. Gareth Halfacree

I've read nothing from Sony that would indicate that, and the fact it has a price in Euros means it certainly won't be restricted to giveaways! It will be limited, though: as the article says, there are only 12,300 globally.

14. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

The PCB from the latest PS3 might just fit

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

12,300 globally is going to mean an allocation of less than 5,000 for Europe, possibly more like 3,000. They'll go in an instant, no matter the method of allocation :(

Still, nice way for Sony to insta-sell more PS4s!

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In Edge this months there's a whole section of interviews from Playstations people. The ones about the boardroom meeting the days after Nintendo's announcement are great, Kutaragi would make a brilliant ganster.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Ooh, I'll have to pick a copy up - cheers for the heads-up!

18. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

Its gorgeous, I really would like one of these editions to honour the memory of my PS1 back in the day!

19. Gareth Halfacree

Having never subscribed to Edge before, I snagged a free 30-day trial on Google Play Newsstand. That'll do nicely!