1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay another problem updated old thread instead of making new one

Discussion in 'Serious' started by maple, 5 Dec 2014.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Don't worry, it is

2. Mephestic

Mephestic What's a Dremel?

I really hate people like this.

Its one of the main reasons I absolutely despise ebay now. The website started off as an auction site for people to sell unwanted goods to make some money from them. The fee's have become so extornaite now that by the time the product is sold and all fee's are deducted you've lost between 25-30% of the value thats been paid.

On top of that you get clowns like this that abuse the goodwill of honest people.

I run my own business in my spare time and you will always get about 3-5 that will try something like this and it causes a great deal of stress in trying to deal with it. With ebay they always side with the buyer no matter what and its because they know if they protect buyers then they will always use them which forces sellers to use them too as thats where the customers are.

They have too much of a monopoly I think - its a shame there isn't any other auction sites that can really compete.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

How did you get that figure? They take 10% and PayPal take a further 3.5% (PayPal is an eBay owned company for now).

It is a shame that there are no other sites, you're right. However, they would probably go down the same road to protect buyers, even when the seller has done everything by the book.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

If you think Ebay fees are bad then you probably shouldn't sell anything on Amazon. They royally take the piss with the percentage they charge.

I was looking into selling something for my brother a while back that was going to be £400 - £450 or so quid, and Amazon would have taken £70 in fees. Needless to say he sold it on Ebay instead.

5. Mephestic

Mephestic What's a Dremel?

Last I checked the final valuation fee was around 15%? (correct me if im wrong)

listing fee's plus paypal fee's or postage too if thats not been factored in within the price and you are reaching to 25% easily.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Nope, it's as DutchDude says,

10% of selling price (inc postage) and then paypal take 3.4% +20p.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Fees for private sellers

[​IMG]

Source

All in all you're normally looking about 15% lost after all the fees have been taken (ebay and paypal that is)

8. maple

maple Minimodder

UPDATED OP WITH NEW PROBLEM

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Really confusing now and it makes all posts meaningless, far better with a new thread.