1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft releases formal video content policy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

What happens if MS uses a video that was created before MS owned Minecraft?

3. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

im sure they cannot touch that as that is after the fact.. or is it before the fact...

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Don't really see the point of this.

Music video, yes, you can listen to the music, which is what you pay to do, so I can understand not allowing this.
    Film/TV etc, yes again, you pay to watch the film/TV etc.

But a game, you don't pay to watch it, you pay to play it, so how is a video of someone playing it in any way anything to do with the creator of the game? They're not losing anything, as the watcher of the video can't play the game through the video.

If I make a video of me playing Uno, does that mean Mattel will want me to take it down.

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

not quite apples to apples, if you have a third person perspective of you playing halo where you can see you and the xbox etc, i don't think the games company even have an argument, but usually it's a 100% video of the game. I'll leave that for the debators.

If you exported uno's screen out a recorder and that was your video, then you're in the same boat and maybe mattel have case. whats to stop someone making a youtube game of uno?

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Sadly, a common misunderstanding of what free speech actually confers an individual in terms of your rights. You're free to say whatever you like to your friends, on your own blog, on the telephone. Your freedom of speech, expression etc is not affected if Microsoft, Google, the Daily Mail, Bit Tech or whatever else you read and comment on, decide that your comments don't belong on their site.

You're still free to tell your mate that you disagree with it though..and you can blog away all your like on your own, self-hosted, self-written blogging software (assuming your ISP doesn't mind!) :)

Think of freedom of speech as being like freedom of assembly. You're free to have your mates around to your house to bitch about Microsoft, but you're not free to do it in their staff cafeteria :p

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They can't shut it down, they can go after you for copyright infringement though just like any other company can if you use their intellectual property without their permission.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Except that depending on the country you are in there are provisions in the relevant laws covering so called fair use.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't the fair use law only applicable to America ?

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The UK has it as well, http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p27_work_of_others

Of course the details will vary a lot between different countries (and often even within the same one).

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Uno is a card game, not on on the computer (unless they've made a Videogame version, but I was referring to the card based one).

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Although they are similar they are not the same, fair dealing as it's known in the UK and common wealth countries is less restrictive.