1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice pre-built gaming rig recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guitarbloke, 8 Mar 2015.

1. guitarbloke

guitarbloke What's a Dremel?

I'm looking at pre-built gaming rigs at the moment, as I really can't be bothered to build my own rig this time around (well, in truth I can be bothered but due to my job I just don't have time sadly).

I've got a budget of around £1000, but could push to £1200 if need be, however I'd rather buy from a reputable firm than from eBay etc. I've always been a firm Nvidia fan, so would usually prefer to stick with one of their cards, but I'm open to suggestions.

I already have a couple of SSDs, and possibly a 2GB GTX 760 Twin Frozr I can use, if that helps!

I've never bought a pre-built system before, so any decent recommendations would be very much appreciated guys! :D

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Is it the CPU install that is off putting for you?

Scan.co.uk do OC motherboard, ram, cpu + cooler bundles.
    Link

then you could bung that in what ever case you fancy and have exactly what you want GPU and case wise.

I think scan will also build just about anything they have in stock if you ask nicely over the phone. :)

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Whereabouts are you based? Maybe one of the chaps here would build it for you and then you'd get the best of both worlds. :D

I'd happily offer my services but the odds are that it'll have to be shipped which is a non-starter without the right protection inside the chassis. :(

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Build your own, get more for you money, or spend less and give the cash saved to charity.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

As the others say build your own, I've never thought buying pre-built was a good idea you pay more and you're restricted by their warranty terms so any problems and it goes back to them and you're without a PC until they fix it that's fine if it's something major but 90% of problems are small things but if you open the box then bang goes the warranty

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Last edited: 9 Mar 2015
  7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't see your point in going down this path. If you already have the SSD and GPU. I think you will have trouble getting a pre-build PC without storage or GPU but enough PSU that you could add your own GPU. In addition, if you are going to upgrade/install the GPU and SSD when it arrives it really defeats the purpose does it not?

8. guitarbloke

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses!

It's not so much that any aspect of the build is putting me off as such, but more that I'm on the road constantly for work and severely struggle to get the time nowadays to do any building :( I actually really enjoy the build process.

The more I think about it, the more I think that I will try and find the time to build this system. I can probably cannibalise my old system as well to save some cash.

So with that in mind, could I get some advice on the following?

I have the following bits kicking about my house at present:

i5 4570
    MSI Z87i Gaming mo’bo (mITX)
    Bit Fenix Prodigy case
    2 x Samsung Evo 840 SSD’s (240GB)
    1 x MSI GTX 760 OC Twin Frozr
    Corsair H100i cooler
    2 x 4GB Mushkin RAM (I forget what they are rated at)
    1 x 22” Samsung 224BW monitor

I don’t like the prodigy as much these days – it’s a bit too small and fiddly for my clumsy fingers, plus I’d like something a little roomier. Any ideas for a decent mid-tower case which will take a mITX motherboard – or am I best off getting a new motherboard? I don’t dabble in overclocking myself – never really had the urge, so that’s not a priority for me.

Is it worth my while upgrading most of the above or will I not see a huge improvement on the majority of it? I’m also wondering whether it’s worthwhile going over to an X99 system at this stage?

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

What you have got it fine!

Almost any case these days will take a ITX motherboard.

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Grab a new GPU, maybe a fancy pants 120hz 1440p monitor.

no need to replace anything else.
    If you really dont like the case then replace that, but otherwise your spending for spending sake.

11. guitarbloke

Thanks again guys, saving some cash is always a good option haha! I'm curious about the 120hz 1440p monitors, but can't really see myself blowing that much cash on a screen :-D

So you reckon I won't see enough benefit to warrant upgrading the existing system at the moment then? Is there likely to be much significant improvement with the GTX 970 over my GTX 760?

Also, any suggestions on a mid tower case? I notice that many don't list mini-ITX as a supported motherboard form factor, so I need to try and find one that does - and that can also take the h100i cooler.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah 970 will be a very good upgrade over the 760. CPU wise, no point upgrading at all really!

What is your case budget?

13. guitarbloke

Hi Parge, I guess I would look at up to £100 (maybe a little more if the case is something special) if that seems reasonable for a decent case?

Last edited: 9 Mar 2015
  14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

A good monitor is always important in my opinion. Its where you see the results of your investment into hardware.

If your hardware can do even more for you (higher FPS/Hz and resolution) then it makes sense.
    Its like if someone has 2 titans on a 20" 1080p TN screen....

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

16. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Is that a bad thing?:D

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It will take about 30 minutes more to build than it would be to unbox a pre built.

Edit: Just realised the date of this thread. I guess you have decided by now.

19. guitarbloke

Cheers for the replies!

I decided to build my own in the end, and it's running very nicely indeed (being used mostly for GTA V, Elite Dangerous, WOW and some Amiga emulation at the moment)!

I went for:

Monitor: Asus PB298Q (29" - 21:9)
    Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    CPU: kept my old i5 4590 as it wasn't all that bad
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (DDR3 2400MHz)
    GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 970 (4GB)
    PSU: Corsair HX750i
    Case: NZXT H440 (White)

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

fantastic stuff! glad you went with a self build! Good selection of components as well!