1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft hit by biggest-ever quarterly loss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

'...Nokia's mobile division it the company's bottom-line hard,'
    Missed an 'H' off hit...

Until MS starts to pump out new handset devices I really don't know what it is they bought. I am just hoping that some real quality devices are going to flood the Windows Mobile market... It's about time someone like MS invested in a monster phone rather than playing catch-up to the others 6-12 months down the line. 2016 will be massively important for MS...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fixed, ta!
    My wife loves her Lumia 1020, except for its tendency for Internet Explorer to drain the battery dry in a handful of hours if you leave so much as a single tab open - even when IE is set to not run in the background...

4. SchizoFrog

I am currently loving my 735 but found the IE to be annoying. I usually use UC Browser now instead and have found it much better. You have all the basics like tabs and can save favourites but also create quick launch 'Live Tile' style buttons for any link as well as things like the built in QR reader. It also has several features for reducing data usage too if required. Really worth looking into if you don't know it.

5. SchizoFrog

6. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Without Nokia they would be in much worse shape in my opinion.

I don't have a Lumia phone, but it will likely be my next one. We are starting to see the semblance of a consistent ecosystem being pulled together and if they don't succeed, at least in my book they have been doing everything right.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Without Nokia windows phone would not exist. Nokia was going android with Nokia X 1 month before the company was sold. People say this was a ploy by Nokia to force Microsoft to buy them.

Look on the bright side they still sold 20millon feature phones.

They should just leave the smartphone market, the high end they want to be in wants nothing to do with them sales are poor. They have made some good devices but they have not made any impression at retail.

Android has too many competing phones that offer similar or better spec phones for less money than the lumia range is. And it does not have Apple / Samsungs brand presence to pick up the high end sales.

8. SchizoFrog

In terms of use of English, I agree with the original quoted sentence. It is hard to see is as anything other than a mistake... That is unless you buy in to Microsoft's long term road plan and strategy, which at this point is very difficult to see real world fruition.

I also agree with the follow-on comment though, things do seem to be coming together and I for one have long bought in to Microsoft's future plans as that is the reason I got my Lumia. I just hope MS back up their promises as the next couple of years could be very interesting...

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not up on the whole phone business, but did they actual gain anything with the acquisition of Nokia? Didn't Nokia and Microsoft already have some kind of exclusive deal to work together.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

They gained there entire phone business and the patents and manufacturing capabilities and all the tech parts. Nokia will likely be back with a android phone next year under another name.

Microsoft has brand problems in the high end and over priced products in the low and mid range getting around that is difficult.

11. SchizoFrog

I could not disagree with this sentiment at all, it's the thinking of a coward or a company doomed to fail from the start. The whole purpose of competing is just that, to compete and not only when you know you are dominant and will succeed.

A technology ecosystem needs to cover all the bases (Phone, tablet, laptop, desktop) as Apple has done. Google may be a big player in the phone and tablet markets with Android but they are years behind Microsoft in the other areas. When you compare development of Chrome OS to Windows Phone, Microsoft has definitely improved a lot faster of the two. Microsoft may not be one of the dominant players in the phone market but they have the other bases covered very nicely and this is only going to improve with Win10. The upcoming Talkman and Cityman devices may not be world beaters and again only play catch-up but they will be a start... As I said, it will all be about 2016 and what MS can do to challenge at the top.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Google is still a advertisement first business.

Apple is a runaway express train with no sign of derailment. Windows phone is only even mensioned on tech sites. Microsoft needs a image change before they will pick up traction in high end smartphone sales.

The promises of windows phone have been coming for a lot of years longer than IOS or googles android has existed. It's just never really done it.

2016 financial year is now for Microsoft can not see them gaining the traction needed in Smartphones to pick up enough high end device sales to matter.

If the plan is for 2016 to be the go go then the hype should be building already this is the next big device in smartphones. This is our brand here is what it does. Not saw those adverts or any rumours to suggest Microsoft has this killer flagship phone in the works.

We shall see I guess like always with windows phone the wait goes on.

13. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

Microsoft don't make acquisitions to profit directly from them, they do it to harm competitors. In this case Google via patents.

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Microsoft need to stop concentrating on the consumer market. If they were to come up with an awesome business phone (decent, intuitive versions of Office, Outlook, etc. Network drive support, easy radius/certificate authentication) I'm sure a lot of companies would snap them up!

15. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Amusing because I bought a Windows phone yesterday (640).

I think it's more a case of getting people to jump ship to a different OS other than a handset issue (more will come with time) and increasing market share is going to be difficult for them. Having used one now I much prefer it over Android (it's just so slick) so I think once they get integrated in to the market more the more it will snowball.

I think it's just a case of time and making sure they keep their eye on the prize.