1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [MOTM] Vault 111 by PEXON 100% - Video and final photos [COMPLETED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shrop, 14 Jul 2015.

1. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Nice build! I like the broken window idea. If it's acrylic, you might be able to just hang a corner off of a table and whack it with a hammer to break it off. pretty easy. Another idea if you're using acrylic would be to flame the edges and then use some alcohol or alcohol based cleaner to get a crazed effect around the edges. That might add to the distressed look without having to break the acrylic or make it look like its broken.

2. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Well, just to throw something into the mix...

I have only ever seen one exploded / destroyed window that i liked (i just cannot for the life of me find that build right now), and that was because something was poking out of it...

In that particular build, it was made so that the gpu and a res above looked like they had fused together, and had burst out of the window.

I get that a broken window in a weathered case makes sense, but...

3. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

Hmmmm, interesting input guys. I'm going to do some experimentation with the spare acrylic over the weekemd, think I will take some pics so I can see what you guys think.

The idea of the cracked window is something I do like, but I think there is going to be a fine line between it looking cool and too much

4. Zenator

Zenator Minimodder

Looks Great shrop, :thumb:

5. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

I agree, bullet holes wouldn't work, but cracks done right will look great. especially with fire damage or claw damage type effects on the edges perhaps?

6. shrop

Cheers guys!

The bullet holes are out of the question now, not going for them, they wlll look too tacky. I like the idea of cracked acrylic, going to try and over tighten some of the bolts on the window to see if I can crack it; will try this method on a spare sheet of acrylic before I do it on the proper window panel.

Claw damage also sounds cool, like a deathclaw swiped the window, like someone tried to use the panel as a shield :D

7. shrop

Hey guys!

Time for another update, albeit a small one. I did hint that I had been working on some ideas for the cables. I have used Teleios sleeving in Mid blue and Yellow and had a play about with some distressing ideas.

I have used a solution of strong coffee to stain the sleeving. First outcome was very successful. The coffee/ heat made some of the dye in the plastic material to leach out and the overall colour of the sleeving was dulled down, perfect! I have also burnt some of the sleeving away using a jet lighter and used some dye, ink and sharpie pen to mark some of the spots and burns to add some texture. Clear shrink is a nice idea as I can put some coffee underneath it before shrinking, for even more gnar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photos were quickly snapped with my Note 4 so the quality isn't great!

On a side note, I have started to spray the panels and case with laquer to protect and ensure the weathering done so far will stay put!

Thanks for looking :)

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Sweet theme and choice of case! :thumb:

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Are you distressing the sleeve and then installing it over the cable or after installation?
    Also that is that all cable sleeving in the background?

10. shrop

Thank you Bill! :)

I am distressing the sleeving after its gone on the cable, makes the job a heck of a lot easier! Also, yup! Thats all the sleeving, once I get caught up with orders, I am going to tidy the workshop up and take a photo of it all :D

11. DanielSandsFTW

DanielSandsFTW What's a Dremel?

I think the cracked window idea looks brilliant, but - if it's to fit with the Fallout / Vault 111 theme: nothing ever broke out of vault 111? Unless you're just going for a general "Post-apocalyptic everything-is-broken" kind of theme?

Nevertheless, loving the work done so far :)

12. al0a

al0a What's a Dremel?

I just love it! Gets me even more hyped to play the new Fallout!

13. shrop

Hey guys. Time for another update. I managed to have a little play about this evening after some food and finishing up in the workshop.

Just got in and imported these pics. I had a go at messing up the acrylic on the side panel. I used a few methods to weather and create the damage. First off, I drilled out some random holes on the acrylic, a hammer was used to smash out the gaps in between the drills holes, this worked pretty damn well. There were some random cracks and even some parts of the acrylic that just came clean off.

I used a dremel to add some more cracks and dinks. I applied some solder cleaner/ IPA and lit aflame, this just smoothed over some of the sharp edges and the heat warped the panel a little bit. Nice!

I also managed to whip up a small LED strip to go along the bottom of the case to illuminate the panel. I may change the lighting in the case as you can see the strip if you look down on the case and into the main chamber, its just distracting, perhaps I can find a way to refract the light a little more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! :D

14. shrop

Hey guys, I'm back with another update.

I am very happy to say that I have my first sponsor for this build, Overclockers! They have very kindly supplied with a Super Flower Leadex 1000W Gold PSU. I have worked with Overclockers on various project utilizing these PSUs and they are truly epic units. The build quality is awesome, they are quiet and easy to make cables for. Just go and look at any review for these PSUs and you will see how well they fair!

I was after a Leadex PSU for one reason, the fact that they have universal connectors for EPS, PCI, Molex and SATA, this means I can switch and swap the positining of connectors and not have to worry about the lengths. If I need to, I can do all the cables for the GPU and EPS connectors off just 2 PSU connectors, meaning I can run the pump, fans etc straight from the PSU, no need for Molex male and females, adapters and so on.

Thanks again to Mark, Steven and Chris at Overclockers!

[​IMG]
    www.overclockers.co.uk

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the beaut!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't waste much time on getting some cables made up! A simple Molex cable in a chain of 3 to power all the LED strips in the case

[​IMG]

Got the cables and strips sleeved and terminated in the top left of the case.

[​IMG]

Worked a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did actually remove the bottom LED strip and make a new one. The original one was stuck on the floor of the case, I actually installed the new one on the lip of the case, where the side panel goes on, so it cannot be seen, the glow is a little more subtle too.

[​IMG]

Thats it for this update, I am so happy I got the PSU, now I can work on cables, even after I finished working on them for customers all day lol! :D

Last edited: 23 Jul 2015
  15. shrop

I don't like bumping my own threads, but I could do with some feedback please guys.

I am wondering if blue and yellow sleeving will go with the copper pipe I am planning on using. The alternative would be do dye some sleeving, stain some grey and black sleeving or go with blue and yellow.... I just don't know. I would greatly appreciate some feedback

16. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Not sure tbh, it could work. If the copper is distressed looking it'd be in keeping with the rest of the build. Perhaps with the LEDs toned down a touch so they look gloomy?

17. shrop

Yea, I was thinking if I tone down the blue and yellow with some coffee solution and weather the sleeving slightly, it would work. I'm still not set on the blue LEDs to be honest, its something that can easily be changed. I did order some cheapo RBG leds off eBay so I can see which colour suits better. A lot of people suggesting yellow, I reckon the yellow would look nice and gloomy

18. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

A "toned down warm orangy yellow" would definately souit the build - maybe a pulsing subtle green to simulate radiation?

Staining the sleeving sounds like an idea that might work.

If you go with copper, you could stain that as well to simulate oxidation and maybe corrosion?

* edit / forgot to comment on the cracked windows, that actually looks pretty good - and not like a "forced" feature gimmick...!

19. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Spray the copper with ammonia and salt,it will oxidize to a nice blue/green.

20. shrop

Where would one get Ammonia from BNeg? Currently have a small length chilling in a salt water bath, so will see how that looks