1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Dont forget to take note of the new installation key.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK when you have upgraded to Windows 10 you'll be using a generic product key, I think the only version of Windows 10 that has a product key is the retail version, every other version uses a hardware ID.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Quite right, there's one key for Home Upgrade and another for Pro Upgrade. I recovered and wrote mine down, just to then see it floating around in various discussions.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It kinda feels like I could be on 8.1 for a while. I have reasons not to (or to defer) upgrading for the moment on every system I have.
    • Dell tablet: Has specific drivers that I'm concerned about breaking or introducing niggly issues.
    • Desktop: Half planning on a motherboard change before long...
    • Server: Struggling to see the point since the UI matters little.
    • Laptop: Mostly not used by me, rather by someone who finds it tricky getting used to new systems.
    Luckily I actually like 8.1 a lot and even like booting to and using the start screen for desktop use.
    I do want to go to 10 but I don't want it to break things that are working fine now or end up costing me down the line by virtue of it being locked to hardware. I guess I have a year to work it out.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Does anyone else feel like 10 is a little bit slower than 8.1 to present a usable desktop? I've been using it for a week now on my "lite" laptop, and whilst it shows me the desktop promptly, it feels like there's another 15-20 seconds before anything is actually usable.

It's no powerhouse (i3-4012y, 4GB, EVO 840), but then it shouldn't really need to be. I did an upgrade as opposed to a clean install, which might not help matters.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Silly admins is my guess. They should be able to disable the update on group policy on their domain controller

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Well bummer. I've done a few quick searches online and from what I can tell it appears as though Microsoft removed the option for unique backgrounds on multiple monitor setups. That's kind of annoying, as I enjoyed having a different picture on each of my monitors.

Has anyone else run into this?

EDIT: Just figured it out after some more searching. There's no way to do it from the Control Panel or the "Personalize" settings when you right click the desktop. It looks like you have to use the File Explorer and navigate to the folder where your backgrounds are located, Ctrl-click the two pictures you want to use, then right click and select "set as desktop background." Windows 10 will then use those two pictures and assign one to each monitor. I'm still trying to figure out the logic it uses to assign which picture to which monitor.

That process seems very counter intuitive compared to how easy it was in Windows 8. It also means I can't keep my desktop backgrounds organized in different folders, because opening different Explorer windows is hit or miss on whether or not it changes one monitor or both.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2015
  8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Hmm I have found on my Z400 based system with a mechanical drive it boots up to desktop like I have a SSD, its mad.

9. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

The update came through on my daughters laptop, Acer e5 571 with i5 4210u cpu. She is having problems with keyboard and touchpad and she is keeping tabs on acer website.

After probably having a tough marital day in almost 20 years(nothing to do with tech). My mother in law updated her AMD desktop with no problems so far. My Tesco and hp 7" got the notification but no update yet.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you tried running the command

"control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper"

That should invoke the old GUI that was in Windows 8 and allow you to right click a picture and select what monitor you want it displayed on, not ideal I know. :(

That because it's not really booting up, it's waking up from hybrid sleep.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Not sure whether I want to upgrade yet or not but I have the windows icon down by the clock, I have the folder and win 10 downloaded as far as I can tell but since then I've not had anything.

Why is it taking so long to notify me and give me the option of upgrading, none of our other win 7 pc's have given me the option either.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Does this mean that if I change my current hardware, I'll have to buy a new copy of win 10?

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Not if you currently own a retail version, however if its OEM then technically your stuffed.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

TBH I'm not entirely sure so don't go holding a gun to my head or anything, but from what I've read if your hardware changed drastically, something like changing your MoBo, beyond the initial 1 year free upgrade then you may have to buy a new license.

There does seem to be some confusion though over whether phoning Microsoft would allow you to re-activate outside of the first year free upgrade offer or not.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This uncertainty is precisely the reason that I'm holding off upgrading my desktop to 10. I don't really fancy the prospect of swapping my Win 7 Retail for Win 10 that's tied to my current PC, given that I'm planning on upgrading to Skylake (from s775, no less!) in the next six months.

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That Andre Da Costa from the link you posted Teelzebub has been providing the same copy 'n' paste answer to all people query's about licensing questions, IMHO it fails to answer some important questions (what a surprise that a MVP provides a useless answer ;)).

The problem: The EULA states you have transfer rights (on a qualifying product) and we have also been told that an upgraded retail license remains a retail license, but as yet there's no mechanism to transfer that license outside of the one year upgrade period.

I.e What happens when you need to reinstall/reactive your copy of Windows 10 outside of the first year, would you install your retail version of 7/8 because you don't have a windows 10 product key and then upgrade? if so wouldn't you now have to pay for an upgrade license.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It would make sense (Which is why this is how it WON'T be!) that the W7/8 product key (on either sticker or card) would now be a valid W10 key.

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I read in another article if it's a retail or an upgrade version ( both has full retail rights ) you would be able to extract the win 10 product key after the upgrade so I'm assuming there wouldn't be a problem for the retail and upgrade versions only the OEM seems to have the grey areas and uses a generic key

Last edited: 11 Aug 2015
  20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

My wife just upgraded her laptop to W10. She is a leftie (southpaw rather than communist) and is struggling with with the trackpad / left & right buttons.

She previously had the the buttons switched so the left button is secondary click, right is primary. This is the same in W10, however, the track pad counts all clicks as the secondary, not the primary.

This didn't happen in W7. I had a play around with the mouse settings but I cant get it work. Any ideas?